To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

how do i start a torrent?

I have the name of a torrent I want to use. I put it in "new". It never started to DL. I put it in "open" and "open url" and got err messages.

I clicked on "active" and nothing was listed in the client.

I looked in the FAQs and found no topic on this point.

I do not want a "default torrent client". I want to enter a torrent resource someplace and start the DL.

How do I start a torrent process?

I put this torrent, included here strictly for academic reasons, in a file:

The.Americans.2013.S01E13.HDTV.x264-LOL.mp4

I get "file not found" err from the client when the dialog box type is on "bit torrent file"

when i change that type to "all files" I get

Torrent file decoding failed! please try to re-download the torrent!

The torrent file is a small text file that you downloaded from an index site. It will be located where ever you put it when you downloaded it.

I suggest you look in our guides and tutorials section for a guide "new to bittorrent", it will cover the basics of finding, downloading and opening torrents.

Just a thought here but after some thought I'm wondering if you're trying to create a torrent?

I also believe you may not understand exactly what a torrent is so I'm going to recommend some more reading.

Start here: Using BitComet to download torrents

If you're trying to make your own torrents you can read here, but I recommend getting a better understanding of the process before you begin because the people downloading the content can be "less than polite" if it's not done properly so it's best to begin slowly and earn a good reputation so people associate your username with good quality, not with problems or torrents that have problems or never complete.

Making torrents with BitComet (skip this link unless you want to make your own torrents and upload them to share with others, but remember that the best way to share is to simply seed the torrents you already downloaded, this takes no effort at all and helps the entire community)

There is also a lot more useful information posted on our BitComet Wiki

I showed you the torrent I was using, above. I knew it was a small text string.

Turns out the installation made BComet the default association. Via that magic, it is now starting torrents. I didn't need to go manual.

TY

The.Americans.2013.S01E13.HDTV.x264-LOL.mp4

If this is the "torrent" you said you showed me, you're not correct, this is an Mpeg4 video file, the torrent could have any name but must have .torrent extension. Example...

The.Americans.2013.S01E13.HDTV.x264-LOL.mp4.torrent

From what you described it looked like you were trying to open a video file instead of a torrent file.

hi, need a little bit of help on how to set the Bitcomet tracker. I have setup the Bitcomet server and run a torrent file. Tested the torrent file to be working from public.

But i need the tracker page for downloading of the torrent files. Previously on using VUZE, I would hit 203.116.145.x:8080/announce.

Am i still missing some config ?

post-124725-0-17752600-1368176110.jpg

Edited by jackaroo1977 (see edit history)

There was a bitcomet tracker project years ago, it's still offered on bitcomet.com, but development stopped years ago and it hasn't been updated since febuary 2007.

Frankly there was little demand for it, but it was a nice portable tracker that came in handy before DHT became a widely accepted alternative.

• 2 weeks later...

Bitcomet doesn't maintain a public tracker at this point, as far as I know.

You should use the public trackers of the site where you want to publish this torrent.

I'm gonna publish the torrent files on my own server. Can Bitcomet allow me to track the status of my torrent files ?

I'm not sure you understand exactly what a bittorrent tracker does. I suggest you read here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_tracker

This is not the job of bitcomet and you really don't have to worry about a tracker, you can upload your torrents to any public or private tracker, or open tracker, or you can publish them without any tracker at all using DHT.