To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

seeding

fbtaurusrulz_04

The point of seeding is to share. Someone went to a lot of trouble to offer free material and if a member doesn't seed what they downloaded, then the next person in line won't be able to download it.

If you move the files from within the bitcomet gui it won't interrupt the seeding, otherwise you'll need to edit the save location and restart the task to continue to seed once the files have been moved.

You can stop seeding by stopping the task or removing it from bitcomet. If you stop the task it will remain available for long-term seeding which is only done when the bandwidth is available and not needed for other tasks.

If you look at your share ratio column it will tell you how much you have given back to the community. 1.00 = 100%, it's expected that every member upload at least this much but because of issues like packetloss, corrupt data and such it's better to use 1.10 as a minimum. I recommend members use 2.00 as a minimum because there will always be people who don't share either out of ignorance or greed and if someone else doesn't make up the difference, the torrent will die and we've all had torrents that won't complete.

You can select whatever seeding goal suits you and stop when you reach it, or you can just continue to seed indefinitely, the choice is yours.

• 2 weeks later...

Bottom line is that either:

1. You stop the torrent once it's finished, right-click and choose Files Move To in order to move the contents of the torrent, then once it's moved you can simply restart it and it will continue seeding from the new location;
  2. You can use the option Move completed downloads to from Options-->Directories, in order to ask Bitcomet to move your files for you automatically, once the task is finished.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a newbie to Comet, all my torrents are green but no one seems to be downloading, not even the newest movies? I'll seed for a while if it lets me. Second, is there a way to have more than one destination folders for uploads or for others to download? I have tons of movies in different files, some TV series, movies and music videos and a separate file for childrens are all separated so is there a way to still share them all without moving them to the same folder? These are torrents from frostwire. Thank you

Edited by OneEasilyAmused (see edit history)