To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

VIP Anonymous: finished download and long term seeding

redsun999

probably a dumb question, once a torrent has finished downloading, I noticed it goes to an orange up arrow, is my client also uploading at this point? I do have long term seeding enabled. I also know the VIP servers will continue to upload the torrent. I like to download educational videos, some of these torrents are tracked, which is why I prefer anonymous. I read one of the admin posts about long term seeding being safe for the most part. But I know when you have 100 percent of the file, you turn into a seeder. If I turn off one of the orange uploads, does it stop the VIP seeding? I decided to stop my torrents until I resolved this question. However, I turned one on, and now the upload arrow is red. So I stopped it as well. I actually don't mind using my pc and bandwidth to upload, but I require being anonymous. I do like the fact that VIP uploads more than it downloads. So I hope I didn't mess with that feature. Also, it seems the torrents I select are pretty dead. But every hour or so, I stop and start them again, and also update tracker, and that sometimes works to great effect. If I don't do that, nothing happens. I also added additional trackers, and that also seemed to help. I noticed that you don't see any info for seeds/peers, but I assume that is because VIP is disabling that access and utilizing the VIP server instead, except for LT seeding. So I am worried about what is happening once my torrent reaches 100%.

...and by the way, at one point, I had part of a torrent download at ~5MB per sec, so that was exciting. Very pleased with VIP. I do wish the BitComet client would be more active / responsive in finding new download sources once one ends. Like I said in my post, sometimes nothing will happen for hours, and just stopping and restarting, or even updating tracker, can trigger a new download source to begin. Thanks for your help.

Hi,

If you use VIP anonymous with LTseed enabled you will download from the VIP servers and from LTseed peers and also upload to LTseed peers, but no connections will be made to the bittorrent tracker or any bittorrent peers.

Regarding performance, if it's a weak torrent, vip may be less effective at providing high speeds. The vip servers can usually attract the best available peers because of their ability to upload far faster than any typical residential internet connection, but if there are no fast peers available, then there isn't much that can be done. By using LTseed you make many more sources available. Adding trackers to a torrent is usually a very bad idea. Unless the torrent is registered with that tracker you're just becoming a hostile spammer when you attempt to run an unregistered torrent. You can add a couple of the popular open-trackers, they are designed to track any torrent without registering, but if you're the only peer that added that tracker, it won't be able to provide you any peers. In addition when you have a long list of trackers you are wasting resources trying to connect to them. I usually avoid torrents with multiple trackers, but if I do come across one I will remove any non-working trackers.

As far as uploading goes, the vip servers should be able to upload far more than the expected 1.0:1 ratio, so further seeding isn't required, but if LTseed is enabled the tasks will continue to upload even when stopped. This is done using a limited amount of bandwidth and only when it's not needed for bittorrent tasks. The LTseed is coded to efficiently make use of unused bandwidth which helps all bitcomet users.

So yes, you can stop the vip tasks anonymous task, but if you're using vip without the anonymous option, then you should continue to seed as usual until your ratio shows above 1.0