To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Magnet links not starting

I usually do not have trouble starting magnet links but I have 4 started that all have "magnet" before the file name and none of them have opened. I know that sometimes it can take a while for magnet links to open on older files, but 2 of the 4 are current TV shows that usually open the moment I click on the magnet link and they have not opened after an hour.

Edited by beancrisp
changing words. (see edit history)

One of the files finished downloading, but the other three stopped downloading at 99.7%,98.4% and 98.9%. What I do not understand is why I was able to download when peers and seeds showed 0 of 0 connected the whole time I was downloading.  

That's usually down to a missing seed file rather than the links themselves. What is probably happening is that none of the peers is 100%. There also could be a problem in the links themselves (inaccurate tracking, etc). I've had a magnet link stay dormant for days and then kick into life when a seed came online (it still hasn't downladed though).

Check your internet connection.

It's possible that your ISP has throttled your speed back (if you've been downloading/uploading too much, especially at 'peak' hours)

Try rebooting your router - turn it off and wait for at least 60 seconds before turning it back on.

Check that your ports aren't blocked

• 1 month later...

I'm running Windows 10 on a laptop that's only a year old, 2tb hard drive, 12gb ram, quad core processor, AVG anti-virus, and use Chrome as my preferred browser. Until just a few days ago, I use magnet links from several different sites to download from. All of a sudden, no matter what site it is, the magnet links don't work. I've tried Internet Explorer, Edge, Firefox and Chrome - all with the same result. I've uninstalled and reinstalled BitComet, same issue. 

Another problem is when I go to open a torrent file that I've downloaded (since the magnet links aren't working), I'll get the pop-up to allow me to choose which files to download, and as soon as I click on download now, BitComet shuts down.

HELP!

One common problem with magnet links is that, if the trackers don't have any seeds showing, the link won't start. It's best to use a .torrent file in that case

Thank you for the advice. I agree with you, but honestly I've been having the same issue with proven, highly seeded files as well as those with very low activity. It's the same with every magnet link. It's been fine for the longest time and just recently began having the problem.

Check that your ports are open in the firewall abd that your router is directing the correct ports to the computer. I set my internal IP to 192,167,0.### abd tell the router to hold a range of ports open as well as setting trhe same range for the firewall. It's possible that a MS update has changed things and that's the culprit