To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Better UPLOAD speeds

lukvance

Hello,

Is there a way for me to upload faster?

I want to seed the file to give back to the community but am afraid I can't keep the computer open that long and will have to remove the file from the computer soon.

I know that the upload limit is higher than what it is using right now (like 100 times faster) because the same file which is seeded at 10k/s now reached more than 900ko/s at one point.

Thanks for your tips/help

Upload speed is depeendant on two things - the rate that you can physically upload at and the rate that the person you are seeding can download. If Joe Bloggs is downloading a file he is probably getting it from multiple sources of which you are only one. He is maxing out his download but with it being split, not all seeders will be able to transfer at maximum rate. He may also have throttled his download back (especially if he is downloading more than one file)

Hi Rhubarb,

Thank you for your response. From it, can I conclude that there is nothing I can do to "finish" uploading the file I want to delete, sooner?

I think I understand how Torrents works. I also think that there should be no reason why with 1000+ downloaders, there is not only one "Joe Bloggs" that doesn't have the capacity to use all my upload speed. I also understand that there are many other seeders than me, but still I'm having trouble understanding why would "Joe" disconnect from my seed(s) if I have the whole file, my upload is not maxed and his file is not complete yet.

Is there an option in bitcomet to set the size of the fille hash sent to the other users before switching user or something alike?

It happens - for a start you never see all the seeds (there are usually a number that don't show up). Why some individuals download very slowly is a different matter. It's quite possible that they are running multiple downloads and maxing out their connection; they may have their speed capped for one reason or another. My ISP will do that if they think I'm 'hogging bandwidth', so I tend to run higher speeds at low traffic times (usually overnight) and lower speeds at 'busy' periods.

As far as I know, the hash is part of the torrent itself and can't be altered without wrecking the torrent.

Hi Rhubarb,

So...it's a no, there is no option that I can tweak to have a faster upload speed in BItcomet?

For you, is the upload speed often maxed? Do you send files to other torrent users at the speed limit that you setup in the Bitcomet options? If so, is it always the case for all the files you downloaded or are there some that finished uploading faster than others?

To your knowledge is there a common factor from those who reached the rate 1/1 ? (meaning when the amount sent is the same as the amount received)

I really don't want to delete the file before I've sent as much as I received but at these upload speeds it will take forever :(

Your upload speed is set by a combination of what your ISP allows and the speed that leechers are taking the data at. There's nothing you can do at your end (well apart from restricting upload speeds, but that's the opposite of what you're wanting).

I auto-shut off at 4.01 - some files go fast, others crawl

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, thank you for your answers.

I was wondering how should I proceed to add trackers and why is it considered as bad manners?

Aren't trackers what allows people to find the file on different computers? If I was able to add more people (people using the tracker I added instead of the ones already in the torrent file) trying to download my file, maybe my upload speed would be faster, no?

Thank you for your consideration

Having more than a handful of trackers causes problems. Not alone with the upload speed (which is nothing to do with the trackers) but you can have trackers being hammered (which is NOT a good idea).