Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Bug in version 1.61?

george2018

in latest build bublisher tab is uneditable

NQgkVIc.png

is this new change or just bug, 1.60 working fine:

t5eGioX.png

it was always like that in the past as well, till 1.60 build you could change both publisher name and publisher url if you want in torrent task, in latest 1.61 build it isn't possible anymore

It's working fine for me. It's possible that your installation was corrupted in some way. Perhaps if you uninstall and re-install, turning your Anti-Virus OFF during the installation )A/Vs can do strange things to installations, which is why the standard recommendation on installing new apps is to turn off ALL running programs - and this includes the A/V). Of course, remember to turn it back on when you finish

well i tried installing without any KIS2019 running, even without any setting and changes, it is still uneditable like in screenshots, 1.60 fine, 1.61 not, KIS 2019 now delete only Updater.exe in C:\Program Files\BitComet\tools no more bitcomet.exe removing and false trojans since 1.60, i use windows 10 18376.476 build , never had this bug (if this is bug) in any bitcomet builds, only web seeding and comments tab is editable , publisher name and publisher url is uneditable in 1.61 build

Edited by george2018 (see edit history)

Adaware A/V blocked the direct download for me, but downloading and installing from the .torrent worked (my BC download folder is on a separate drive with A/V scanning disabled on that).

However I still don't have any problems running it even though I'm on the Fast Ring for W 10 betas (build 19028-1325)

If it was a 'bug' it would occur on a lot of computers, which doesn't appear to be happenimg (or the board would be swamped with 'me too' posts)

It's almost certain that something in your setup causing it but I honestly don't know what it could be. As I said, A/V running during install was one possibility. Did you try completely removing the client (use Revo Uninstaller in moderate mode - there is a free functional 'trial' version) and maybe also run Puran Utilities (a free maintenance app) and then re-install, again, turn the A/V off during the install (use a fresh download in case the original is corrupted).

i also checked two other pc all with same results, freshly installed windows 1709 build has same bug, i asked to check my friend he has same problem, so i think it is global bug, i cannot change url here only if i install 1.60 build:

FrVCOE8.png

same is with name, it is somehow uneditable in latest 1.61 build only, only if devs disabled this from 1.61 deliberatly

As I said, if it was a global bug, we would be swamped with reports of it - that's not happening.

The latest release build btw is 1909 (released 10 days ago)

Oh and you don't change your name in the client - you do that on the website

it is global bug i specially tested today in the office all systems have same bug, here's another screenshot of my friend:

1a038bd441c4a63f5ad9717f23d3e0c2.png&key

i can take many such screnshots, i tested 3 more pc for myself, i change every torrent which doesn't lead to correct address, for example there's owner's link not film,game or other soft, if you understund what i mean, this is quite useful option which older bitcomet builds had, one click and you're in webside checking torrent information,number of seeders and if it is still working or time to change, or they already updated torrent to new one, so it's not just one of the useless settings, i better stick to 1.60 which doesn't have this bug and i can change both torrent tracker name (publisher name) and publisher url link , as for other users, they may not care about this setting, since torrent downloads work and nothing crushing they're happy as it is,  but as i said before this change might be done deliberatly by bitcomet devs or there's something in new windows 10 update that creates this bug (all earlier builds working fine and i can change both publisher name and publisher url)

Rhubarb, can you show your screnshot please, just want to make sure that we're talking about same issue, since i tested over 10 different pc with different windows 10 builds all having same bug, how can you say that this is not global issue, it's not just my main system, my other two pc have same problem, my few friends pc having same issue, if this is not global issue then what it is, i already tested this bug on many systems, asked my friends in forums to test it all had same problem, because with other bug that i asked to look you were acting same but it was really bug and it was fixed later:

v1.56 [Windows] 2019.3.13

Core Bugfix: after all trackers in private torrent been replaced, no tracker will be connected when task downloading

and bug started from 1.52 build, but you said that it was fine and nothing to fix there

3 minutes ago, george2018 said:

can you show your screnshot please, just want to make sure that we're talking about same issue, since i tested over 10 different pc with different windows 10 builds all having same bug, how can you say that this is not global issue, it's not just my main system, my other two pc have same problem, my few friends pc having same issue, if this is not global issue then what it is, i already tested this bug on many systems, asked my friends in forums to test it all had same problem

I have already attached the screenshots

i was asking Rhubarb BitComet Tech Support, your screen shows same problem, but maybe bitcomet devs changed this from 1.61 build and it is not bug afterall, but those two tabs where always editable in previus bitcomet builds, problem is only with 1.61 build, i use bitcomet torrent client from mid 2005 and this is first time that i cannot change those two tabs, but bug or not fact is it is uneditalbe anymore from build 1.61, i can take more screenshots of course from different systems but it won't change anything. it is up to devs to fix it or left as it is

lEB75aK.png

no antivirus, clean system, everything running fine, i can take more scnreenshots if you want from many more systems, from my friends also

Guys, I have tried repeatedly to reproduce the problem but so far I haven't seen it on this machine.

I am able to edit the details (user name isn't editable in the client - only on the website)

What I do know from other apps is that the following can cause problems:

1: Running A/V during installation

2: a corrupted download

3: corruption in the OS itself

4: a 'hacked' copy of Windows 10 (the 'activation' process interferes with some apps)

for 1 and 2, a complete uninstall (using Revo Uninstaller), for 3, copy data files to a thumb drive, bite the bullet and 'format C:'. For 4 - there is no cure

This latest upgrade loads fine, but just like the last two upgrades, once I turn the program off and then try to turn it back on at a later date, I get an error message that informs me that the shortcut is not functioning and I have to reload the program all over again. This does not occur in version 1.40, so I will continue to use the previous version until you genius's figure out how to keep this from happening.

ok fine then staying at 1.60 i need this function, without this i have to check torrent functionality by clicking download, i could not go to torrent website directly without changing publisher url tab with many torrents, since all other builds working fine, i think problem is only with 1.61 build, if it was windows 10 or other av fault any other builds would not work as well, i already tested this bug for more than 10 systems with different configs, windows 10 builds and even tested with windows 7, all users reported that it was same with 1.61 an 1.60 working fine, so bug happens only with 1.61, here's my example what i can do in 1.60 and what i cannot in 1.61 build

build 1.61- i downloaded new torrent task and i could not change publisher url:

odTFDtk.png

as you can see from the screen that this two tabs are just disabled, you cannot type anything beside publisher name and publisher url (second one is more important and i need it for  many torrents which i download constantly from number of private and public trackers that i use)

this is 1.60 build (it was same in any older builds as well) with same torrent:

nSYBAQ3.png

you can see that i changed both publisher name and publisher url, after that after i click publisher name it will open in browser and i can see what torrent it is and how many seeders it have, it is very useful setting if you have many  tasks in torrent client, because sometimes you forget what have you added and torrent may need upgrade as well or it isn't working anymore and removed, maybe bitcomet devs changed something in 1.61 build you can see created with and creation date names are available in 1.61 build but in older builds there's no names there, i don't saying that this is bug, but from 1.61 something changed in those tabs and now those two tabs are uneditable, appart from this latest client build working fine as well as 1.60, from 1.56 i did't had any problems with private torrents, apart those which banned bitcomet client (IE teamhd.org, i use utorrent for seeding there), KIS 2019 also doesn't remove anymore bitcomet.exe during installation as well as during usage, i don't need to add bitcomet client in white list anymore since 1.60 build. 1.61 also working fine

• 2 weeks later...

yes in my case it always delete update.exe, but with 1.60-1.61 builds all other files are fine, but before that and after it even won't allow to install, this started i think from 1.50 build, i use KIS more than 10 years and it never done this in 1.40+ builds

False positives on any A/V program are actually quite common. The fact that you haven't had one in a long time is pure luck and nothing more. Kaspersky seems to be most prone to this happening (it tends to be over-aggressive, but not to the same extent as Norton). However, the standard instructions on installing any new (or updated) app is to turn off ALL running programs and that actually includes the A/V. Scan it on download is enough, but turn it OFF before installing anything. Apart from it blocking some apps, A/V operation during install has been known to corrupt programs.