To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Bitcomet ver 1.73 - Upload speed suddenly drops to zero some time after starting

abc101

I have just installed Bitcomet ver 1.73 on a Windows 10 Operating system with the latest updates installed. I have also disabled the antivirus.

I have downloaded several torrent files which I then decided to seed. The "DHT Connected" and "Port Opened" icons are both green. I am using manual port forwarding on the router and therefore I have disabled the "Enable UPnP port mapping" option. In the "details" tab the TCP/UDP ports are reported as "Opened in Firewall/Router" and the "Windows Firewall:" shows "Added (TCP added, UDP added, TCP(ED2K) added, UDP(ED2K) added)".

I now have only seeding tasks being active. After I start Bitcomet I can see several peers downloading from my seeding tasks. For some strange reason uploading continues for about 10-15 minutes and then the upload speed drops suddenly to zero. At this point I continue to see all the peers  being connected to the relevant tasks but none is able to download from me.

If I start to download a new torrent task then the uploading of the seeded tasks starts again.

If I stop the downloading of the incomplete task then after about 10 minutes the uploading of all the seeded tasks stops again.

At this point I try to Exit the application and the icon on the task bar turns gray. When I hover the mouse above it I get the notification "Bitcomet Exiting ..." and this continues for about 10 minutes.

After that the following "Not Responding" window opens up:

1354759886_NotResponding.jpg.ca4c2e7e9c77db749d226852ffa0095e.jpg

I choose "Yes" to end the program.

The following window then opens up:

328298345_SendReport.jpg.d2d132a2560faecda40dfb1597528772.jpg

I choose to "Send the report".

This cycle repeats every time I start Bitcomet and it ends nearly always with the "Not Responding" window. Only in the case in which Bitcomet runs for a short period of time of 30-40 minutes there is a graceful exit.

I have restarted Windows, uninstalled & reinstalled Bitcomet and reset my router but this makes no difference at all. The same pattern just repeats.

So the only way for me to seed tasks is to have a download task in progress. After the download task completes (or I stop it myself) the uploading of all tasks stops after a while.

Another thing to note is that it is not possible for the app to sign me in at the bottom left hand corner, but this might be irrelevant.

I am not using a VPN or any IP filters or traffic monitoring/shaping software.

I also use the emule plugin but it always works normally. It does not appear to have any problems whatsoever.

Edited by abc101
Additional information added. (see edit history)

I'm not sure why you have that problem.

However, a couple of points

1: Are you running the intranet on a fixed IP or using DHCP from the router?  Try using the other and see if that helps

2: The log-in. That can be hit and miss. Usually clicking on 'manual' when it just sits there will kick it into life (but then it does go down quite often)

3: set your A/V to exclude the Bitcomet file folder and, again, see if that helps (it's advisable not to scan it automatically - do it manually on any files)

4: check that the Windows firewall isn't blocking anything - add the ports manually (TCP and UDP both)

1: The router is providing an IP address through DHCP which I have designated as static. This way it does not change after a router restart.

2: I tried clicking on manual but this does not change anything. I am not worried about not being able to login. I mention this in case it provides any information with regard to the speed problem.

3: I have already set the A/V to exclude the Bitcomet folders in C:\Program Files\Bitcomet and also the data folders under \User\.. The A/V is anyhow disabled when I run the tests.

4: The Windows firewall is set up correctly by the application and I have checked that both TCP & UDP ports are correctly registered for both private and public networks. All traffic is allowed in both Incoming & Outgoing connections.

I have also repeatedly fully scanned the PC for viruses and malware with MalwareBytes. It turned out to be clean.

Did you set the Bitcomet  output folder as 'excluded'. The App Data and the program files are a different matter and not likely to affect the outcome. The output folder (usually in C:\Downloads) is a more likely candidate.

Failing all that you may have a Windoze problem rather than a BC one (I can't duplicate it, but I run the Developer version of W 10) but my BC download is on a separate drive

I have now excluded the output folder (C:\Downloads) as you suggested but nothing changed.

When the app crashed again I chose to "Provide additional feedback" and then I sent the report. In the comment field I mentioned my forum user name abc101 so that you can correlate the above info with the crash dump files sent out by the application.

I don't get to see crash reports but are you sure that you sent the report to Bitcomet and not to Microsoft?

You could be having a problem with windows rather than with BC itself (you could try uninstalling the app using Revo uninstaller in moderate mode and re-installing)

That report is a MS one but looking at it, I'd recommend you increase the size of pagefile.sys in Windows (it looks a shade on the small size)

In BC statistics, my memory line reads

Free Memory:    Physical: 11.6 GB/15.9 GB (Min to keep: 50 MB), Virtual: 42.5 GB/47.9 GB, Process: 127.9 TB/127.9 TB

One question - was this always happening or did it occur after you upgraded to 20H2 (aka Build 19042 or 'October Upgrade')?

The problem started after I upgraded to the October update. Around the same time I also upgraded to Bitcomet ver 1.73. I thought that this was a problem related to the new Bitcomet version.

Using the path in Windows 10 Settings\System\About\Advanced System Settings\System Properties\Advanced\Performance\Settings\Performance Options\Advanced\Change it was shown that only drive C:\ was having a paging file automatically managed by Windows.

I then unchecked the "Automatically manage the paging file for all drives" and set manually the "Custom size" to an "Initial value" of 15232 and a "Maximum Size" of 15232 as well. The value of 15232 was the maximum value that the system was recommending when the  "Automatically manage the paging file for all drives" option was selected.

Bitcomet is installed on drive C:\ but its output folder is set to drive D:\ where there is plenty of available space to download files to.

I then set windows to "System Manage" the paging file for drive D:\ and then rebooted for the changes to take effect.

One thing to note is that my physical RAM is 8GB and not 11.6 GB/15.9 GB as Bitcomet reports in the crash dump.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I started Bitcomet with the new configuration and it worked for a while (about 10 mins) and then the upload speed again dropped to zero. When I tried to exit the app it asked me again if I wanted to send s crash report.

So nothing much has changed from this configuration change.

It could be a Windows problem. Set 'view' in fiolders to show hidden files and folders, go to <uaer name> app data\roaming and copy the contents of the Bitcomet folder to new folder on D.

Now uninstall BitComet (use Revo Uninstaller trial version) and re-install. If needed copy the BC fol;der back to app data\roaming.

If it still is giving a problem, you may have to re-install Windows. The best way to do this is to completely re-install it on C drive. Use the media creator from MS and you will have the option of setting up the installation on either a DVD or a thumb drive.

Edit: I forgot to state the obvious - make sure you have your drivers backed up on the D drive before wiping C

I have now reset Windows 10 from within Windows by selecting the option to remove everything in drive C:\ by using an image that windows downloaded from the Microsoft site. So this is a clean install.

I then installed Bitcomet ver. 13. Before running Bitcomet I copied in the users\...\AppData\Roaming\BitComet\ the same folder that I had saved from the previous installation. This way all of my previous torrent tasks were loaded correctly into Bitcomet.

As I currently only have seeding tasks they started seeding normally. After about 1 hour the upload speed dropped suddenly to zero with the different peers still visible in the different tasks. I exited Bitcomet and after about 10 minutes it sent out a crash report. I started it again and it failed the same exact way after about 1 hour of working normally. I attach the 3 crash reports that I saved in 3 consecutive attempts.

I wonder if there is something in the settings files that I restored in the data folder that causes it to fail so miserably.

I think the only way to start with a completely clean installation is to not restore the data folder and add the torrent tasks one by one manually in a fresh clean installation of the client. I'd like to ask if there is another way to restore torrent tasks as I have a long list of them.

e740588f-6be7-45de-8acb-eb3961faa3e7.zip 94607c37-1da4-4c55-affc-d7614cd31f9d.zip b1f22062-6ddc-4c84-b203-04a396c195ab.zip

I have now enabled the system.enable_expert_mode (set it to TRUE) in the Options\Advanced\ menu and a new tab has appeared that logs the following:

BitComet 1.73 is running on:
CPU       : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3392 MHz
RAM size  : 7.89 GB
OS Version: Windows 10 (10.0.19042)
Configuration file folder: C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Roaming\BitComet
Connecting DHT Network...
load rss filtes failed: C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Roaming\BitComet\rules\rss_filters.json
Memory Compact Finished: 1.09 GB => 483.7 MB Decreased: 637.9 MB
Memory Compact Finished: 860.8 MB => 486.3 MB Decreased: 374.4 MB
Memory Compact Finished: 868.0 MB => 484.6 MB Decreased: 383.4 MB
Memory Compact Finished: 855.8 MB => 479.3 MB Decreased: 376.5 MB
Memory Compact Finished: 845.2 MB => 460.2 MB Decreased: 384.9 MB
Memory Compact Finished: 909.5 MB => 452.9 MB Decreased: 456.6 MB
Memory Compact Finished: 1.57 GB => 935.8 MB Decreased: 673.1 MB
Memory Compact Finished: 2.08 GB => 1.76 GB Decreased: 327.2 MB
Memory Compact Finished: 2.69 GB => 2.41 GB Decreased: 290.7 MB
Memory Compact Finished: 2.78 GB => 2.70 GB Decreased: 75.7 MB
Memory Compact Finished: 2.67 GB => 2.67 GB Decreased: 0 B
Memory Compact Finished: 2.51 GB => 2.51 GB Decreased: 0 B
Memory Compact Finished: 2.26 GB => 2.26 GB Decreased: 0 B
Memory Compact Finished: 2.57 GB => 2.57 GB Decreased: 0 B
Memory Compact Finished: 2.64 GB => 2.64 GB Decreased: 0 B
Memory Compact Finished: 2.80 GB => 2.80 GB Decreased: 0 B

When the "Decreased: 0 B" message appears the upload speed drops to zero and stays that way.

When I try to exit Bitcomet it waits for about 10 minutes and then it sends out a crash dump report which I attach below.

8ebae64f-b2a7-4646-a9b8-9e28d48b7a07.zip

It could still be a Windows problem. I'm running W10 (Developer version) here and don't have any problems with BC and emule running simultaneously.I've tried to  reproduce the error and can't so I have to admit that I'm totally stumpeds beyond suggesting that you back everything up and re-install all apps from scratch

I have now made a clean install of Bitcomet ver. 1.69 on a clean install of Windows 10. I restored from the backup the downloads.xml file and the ..\AppData\Roaming\BitComet\torrents folder.

I started Bitcomet and all works perfectly well as it used to before. Upload speed goes to maximum and stays there for at least 12 hours.

I noticed that when running ver. 1.73 Bitcomet was consuming gradually more and more memory. When it stopped uploading and I exited the app it started gradually releasing back memory to the system and after 10 mins the pop up window asked the user to send the crash report out. At that point memory usage was back to normal. With ver. 1.63 memory usage remains constant throughout.

It seems to me that there is a difference in handling memory and upload speed between the two versions 1.69 and 1.73.

I had noticed such crashes with ver 1.7 -1.72 but this only occurred when Bitcomet was running for several hours.

I am going to stay with the version that works for me until the new version comes out.

Thank you for your effort.

One thing you could try - increase pagefile.sys to double the value of your RAM and set that as both maximum and minimum values (thet prevents it fragmenting). From what you are describing, you mave a 'mempry leak'

I tried to increase the pagefile.sys as you suggested and nothing changed.

I have now installed Bitcomet 1.73 on a new PC with a clean installation of Windows 10, updated to the October 2020 version and with all new drivers installed. No other apps are installed.

After about 90 minutes the upload speed drops again to zero and stays there.

I uninstalled the 1.73 version and installed 1.70. Everything works fine given that I seed about 1000 torrents. This is without changing the pagefile.sys default setting on the new PC.

I also tried to toggle the Options\Bittorrent\Enable Anti-Leech flag to "Disabled" from "Auto" but it had no effect for either version.

The system has been thoroughly tested by the MS Antivirus and MalwareBytes and it has been found clean by both.

Edited by abc101 (see edit history)