To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

BC works incorrectly with shared folders

Inqizitor

I have a virtual machine of Oracle Virtual Box software (6.1.18) with installed Windows 10 20H2 x64 pro and BitComet (latest version). I have shared Download folder (visible like a network folder in a guest OS), located on my host PC drive. My guest OS has VB additions installed.

The problem is that the BC says that it is impossible to download large file more than 4 gigs to my Download folder and the BC writes advice that I should have ntfs drive. But my host pc drive has ntfs file system. Please check and fix the issue.

Edited by Inqizitor (see edit history)

Also I've tried to copy 7 gigs file from a guest PC folder to the Download folder (shared with my guest PC) - no problem at all. I think that the problem is that the BC understands the VBoxSharedFolderFS file system like FAT32 not NTFS. One of solutions is possibility to confirm of unsupported FS usage in the BC UI, or fixing communication with the VBoxSharedFolderFS file system.

The > 4 GB is a FAT limitation. If your guest OS is formatted to FAT32, it simply can't handle any file over the maximum value. This also applies to linked files, irrespective of which folder is formatted to NTFS or FAT32

What is your other OS? (and which is the host and which the guest - your post doesn't make that clear)

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2021 at 10:34 PM, Rhubarb said:

The > 4 GB is a FAT limitation. If your guest OS is formatted to FAT32, it simply can't handle any file over the maximum value. This also applies to linked files, irrespective of which folder is formatted to NTFS or FAT32

What is your other OS? (and which is the host and which the guest - your post doesn't make that clear)

My guest OS drive formatted to NTFS of course. My network (shared) folder has VBoxSharedFolderFS file system.

It is possible to download files to the local folder, but impossible to the shared folder using Bit Comet. It is possible to copy any large file to the shared folder using windows file manager.

My parent OS is the same as the guest OS - Windows 10 x64 pro 20H2. All drives partitions of the parent OS are NTFS.

Just for curiosity, why are you running an NTFS system in a VM anyway? I multi-boot using GRUB with all OSs on their own partitions but migrating from one system to another is too problematic really so I don't even try.

You can copy files- that's a given but ther problem arises in that the app running in the other OS simply ca't access the other OS.

11 hours ago, Rhubarb said:

Just for curiosity, why are you running an NTFS system in a VM anyway? I multi-boot using GRUB with all OSs on their own partitions but migrating from one system to another is too problematic really so I don't even try.

You can copy files- that's a given but ther problem arises in that the app running in the other OS simply ca't access the other OS.

I don't understand your point, I don't have multiOS loader, I'm downloading and uploading torrents parallel with my work and personal PC usage, I have several utilities with restriction of usage of any torrent client from my host PC, but it's possible to install the Bit Comet on my Virtual box machine with the same OS as on my host PC. I'm using Bit Comet many years and I don't need any other utility such as utorrent. But I've checked the utorrent for my usage scenario and they have an ability to ask me "A U sure to use the folder with unsupported file system" and after confirmation no problems of the file downloading occurred.

I don't understand how is it possible, but Windows explorer of my guest OS copies 7+ gigs file to my shared folder without questions and problems, that is why I think that windows understands shared folder file system as NTFS or any other extended, not as Fat 32.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I encountered the same problem as well. I also felt that this is an incorrect detection from BitComet. If I used the magnet link to start a work, chose a directory on the shared folder (which is marked as VboxSharedFolderFS), the task will be launched and download until it completed without any issue. But if I tried to right-click on the task, and changed the selected files to download, an error will pop-up and warn on the 4GB limitation and block me from continuing.

Please note that on the VM (Windows 7 in my use case), there is no any problem to access larger than 4GB files on that shared folder.

I hope it can be fixed or at least provide an option in BitComet to disable that warning message.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...