To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Please support Linux

fckwan

My current computer run Bitcomet 2/24 but it does not seems to be upgradeable to Windows 11.

I tried to run Bitcomet in Wine on Ubuntu 20 and it seems to be working fine.

It would be great if Bitcomet can get some sort of formal support from the company.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

I attached 2 files for your reference. I am able to install BitComet 1.92 onto Kubuntu 22.04 

BitComet start successfully with the GUI show up nicely. 

But when I add a torrent, the system crash. Also, if I add a magnet the system keep looking for the metadata.

When the system crash i choose to send out the crash report. 

So the system is not in a very bad situation running. Please consider to put some effort to support BitComet in ubuntu. 

Because my existing system of BitComet is running on windows 10 and the hardware does not allow windows 11 to be installed. So after windows 10 official support end I may either need to buy another piece of hardware to run BitComet or stop using BitComet. I think this will affect a number of existing users.

Screenshot_20220807_154739.jpg

Screenshot_20220807_164008.jpg

Hi,

I am able to give you some good news. 

With the magnet above. After it find the meta data. it actually start to download to completion. So i would say BitComet is working in kubuntu to a very large extend. I hope you can take this constructive feedback to your team and consider seriously to support it formally. Given the curent status. I don't think it require a lot of work to get it working in other cases.

I attached the magnet file as well. So you can set up your own machine and try it out.

BTW. I install BitComet 1.92 onto Kubuntu 22.04 using wine.

Screenshot_20220807_180508.png

Screenshot_20220807_181750.png

惊奇少女_S01E06_非比寻常.txt

Edited by fckwan (see edit history)

You are NOT running BitCokmet in Linux - you are running it in a virtual machine with Windows as the OS. That is not the same as running it natigvely. It doesn't matter if it runs under WINE, Lutris or VMWare - it's still a VM running a non-native OS.

Think of 'Hackintosh' which let Windows PCs run Mac software or Bootcamkp which let Macs run Windows software - in both cases, performance was degraded as any app had to be 'translated' twice

From a user perspective. This is good enough as I do not need to spend money to buy a windows 11 machine. 

There are some program that officially support running on Ubuntu using wine. The following is the list.

<links deleted>

Please give this official support a consideration. It will bring your program to a new platform i.e., more potential customers and your company can make more money.

First of all - posting links to external sites is a HUGE 'no-no'. If we made an exception for one, we'd have the flood gates wide open

Anyway - irrespective of how you run Windows on Linux, you will STILL have the problem when W 10 goes past the useby date. Remember, you are actually rnning Windows (albeit in a VM but it's still Windozewith all its need for uupdates and support from MS)

As for 'making more money' - haven't you noticed that the app and support are free????

Wine is an stand alone platform that don't use windows code and support. You can go to wine wiki page to view that.

I thought Bitcomet place advertisement on the start page to make money. The more platform and people use Bitcomet. Then you get more advertisement viewer and earn more money.

WINE incorporates components of Windows (mainly .dll files) and also utilises DirectX but the point is that it's a base to run Windows apps. You are still, in effect, running a VM - it just doesn't have the fancy desktop that running fulklk blown Windows inn, say VMWare would have.

As for the advertising revenue - that really pays for the servers

• 1 year later...

BitComet seems to be supporting Linux on AMD devices since version 2.04

I would like to suggest Bitcomet to support linux on ARM devices (and RISC-V) as I am using a Raspberry Pi 4B (ARM) running Ubuntu. 

Have you tried it on Ubuntu?

I haven't installed it yet (Gentoo Linux) but it appears that it's using a third party installer which may be the problem. Having said that, there is nothing in the install; notes to say what arch is used - nothing apart from requiring libfuse2 and webkit2gtk. If your Ubuntu distro supports them, then it shouldn't matter what CPU you are using - if it's been modified to the extent that it can't use them, then the problem is with the distro more than the app.

You may get more hints and/or suggestions at the appimage page

The Bitcomet code need to compile for arm architecture before it can run on an arm architecture machine. 

I only have Raspberry Pi 4B. I am not able to run this version of BitComet. It will give out error message as I included above.

Please forward my request to the development team to include ARM and May be RISC-V architecture. A lots of Linux system run on this type of architecture. 

Docker error message:

WARNING: The requested image's platform (linux/amd64) does not match the detected host platform (linux/arm64/v8) and no specific platform was requested

AppImage error message:

$ ./BitComet-2.5.1-x86_64.AppImage
bash: ./BitComet-2.5.1-x86_64.AppImage: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

Again, it's a third party app that is being used and it expects certain libraries to be present and it is NOTHING to do with the CPU. It should be arch independent but that requires the distro to be able to install and/or compile the needed files. If they aren't present or can't be installed, no amount of alteration in the BC code will work. It's down to your distro and the external library files needed by appimage (it's their binary app that does the work)

You would have to ask them how to go about installing the required lib files

A program need to be compiled on the target running platform before it can execute properly. 

E.g., You cannot take a Mac version of Bitcomet to run on windows. The windows 11 arm version of Bitcomet can run on windows 11 AMD platform because MS build an emulator. So your developer need to compile the code on ARM Linux and distribute it before it can run on Linux arm platform. 

Hopefully, for the last time: GO TO THE APPIMAGE WEBSITE and ask THEM.

It's a third party installer and they are the ones who set it up.

I download the bitcomet app image from the www.bitcomet.com download page.

Your team need to distribute the arm version of Bitcomet to the docker system before user can download the BitComet for their platform.

sudo docker pull --platform linux/arm64 wxhere/bitcomet:v2.5.1
v2.5.1: Pulling from wxhere/bitcomet
Digest: sha256:1a5d3f937a50bb23ec9b198e4d5fadb96bdfa49044b7ba207b9fe977b3f998a8
image with reference docker.io/wxhere/bitcomet:v2.5.1 was found but does not match the specified platform: wanted linux/arm64, actual: linux/amd64

What part of 'ASK APPIMAGE' can't you understand?

It's NOT the code for BC that is the probl;em - it's appimage running on a Raspbery Pi

The BitComet executable that I download from www.bitcmet.com has a file name of "BitComet-2.5.1-x86_64.AppImage"

The filename indicate this appImage is only for x86_64 platform and not for ARM platform.

AppImage is just a tool to package all required libraries together with the BiComet executable so user can run the program withut further installation to the system. The developer still need to include the ARM version of BitComet before the user can run the file on an ARM platform.