To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

not connecting to server

Derrick01

OK, you may have a corrupted installation so try this:

Uninstall the app using Revo Uninstaller (backup the bitcomet folders in AppData if you want to keep those), then run Puran Utilities on the hard drive to clean any junk files. Then re-install BitComet

I'm sorry but I'm stumped on this: I triple boot this PC (Windows 10 Pro, Windows 11 Pro and Gentoo Linux) and I have no problems connecting to the servers in Windows (BC doesn't run natively in Linux and I simply can't be bothered setting it up to run in a VM). I also have a laptop running Windows 10 Home and, again, no problems .

The only inference I can make is that it's something to do with the settings on your machine - maybe in the firewall rules or the browser (even the A/V may cause a problem)

Well I can still download films, videos from the Pirate Bay (I have to use the Tor Browser as the pirate bay is blocked in the UK)

All torrent websites are blocked in the UK

I havent changed any of the setting on my PC, just updated BitComet when it tells me there is a new version out

Using Win 7, because its the only program I can run on this PC

I dont know if I am sharing any of my downloads, but the arrow on my downloads say they are being uploaded

I'l share until I have watched the films, then delete them, sharing then stops

Oh well thanks for the advice

I use Browsec (Firefox add-on) which works well and lets me access any torrent sharing site I choose.

A thought: although v 2.05 is supposed to be W7 compatible, it fixed a bug in earlier versions that uses 'toasts' that only exist on W 10 and W 11 so it's possible that could be the cause of the problem. If that is, indeed, the case, then you would be best staying with the last known working version that you had.

I'm passing this along to the devs to see if they have any insight on it.

As if I have any idea what earlier versions are out there

I just get a message telling me a new version is availible, download and install it

(A bit like my iphone when that tells me I have an udate)

This Tor Browser is supposed to be a version of firefox, the Tor Browser hides my IP from Sky , my BB provider

Just work backwards from the current one (2.05) If you can recall which was the last version that you used (and it worked) then that's the one to go for. It could well be 2.04 (presuming you updated every time you got the prompt)

I started at the bottom and worked my way up to the latest

Yes they all installed, but still came up with connecting to server, and I still cant sign in on any of them

I am getting a new PC in the new year, a Win 11, so maybe that will make some sort of difference

I dunno, have to wait and see

The only remaining possibility is something changed in the OS for an existing working app to stop working. If it's not the app itself, it has to be inside the OS (or an external program such as A/V)  interfering with it.

As W7 hasn't had an update since way back, it's possible that something else updated and there was a knock-on effect. A change in the firewall settings could also account for it but, not being able to run  my fingers over your system, anything from this end is pure guesswork