To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

*LOCK INTERNET* while using bitcomet, IS THERE any damage done?

well iwas downloading a file from bitcomet, since i know it's gonna take a while, i minimize bitcomet to my taskbar (where the clock is), and continue working.

after a while i was infected with a virus, to ensure my files are safe i click on norton's "BLOCK TRAFFIC", which is used to stop all internet connection, HOWEVER i FORGOT to STOP the download in bitcomet, as the result bitcomet was still running when norton stoped my internet connection, and of course with my torrent still downlaoding.

while i was fixing my pc, i repeatedly block and unblock my internet connections, i completely forgot bitcomet was still running in the background, while i perform a scan with norton, i completely stop the internet for nearly 1 hour, after the scan waas complete i resume internet connection and eventually realised the exsistance of bitcomet, but i'm now very worried, and here are some questions i would like to ask:

-when i stopped all my internet connections for an hour with bitcomet still running and my torrent still downloading, was there any damage done to my pc?

i heard that running bittorent and cutting the internet connection while it's still downloading can cause PERMANENT damage to the lan card AND the hardrive, since data is still being written or something, is this possible, is my lan card or hardrive damage?

please i beg of oyu, please help me T_T

thanks

Edited by Dark_Shroud (see edit history)

I believe you are missinformed.

stopping internet traffic while running bit comet will not cause any damage to your computer.

I believe it may be possible for the files being downloaded to be damaged (but not likely), and if this were to happen, your client would find the damaged part/s and replace them after hash check.

If you had any direct downloads running, then it would be more likely that they would be damaged.

Suspect

i heard that running bittorent and cutting the internet connection while it's still downloading can cause PERMANENT damage to the lan card AND the hardrive, since data is still being written or something, is this possible, is my lan card or hardrive damage?

Try to recall exactly who told you this. Then carefully cross them off your list of advisers, if not friends, and treat as suspect anything they ever told you. No, it cannot damage your hardware, so this is somewhat past ignorant and heading toward malicious.

If you had any direct downloads running, then it would be more likely that they would be damaged.

what did you mean by that? well i do have a file that's still downloading in bitcomet when i shut off my internet connection, and since i didn't notice it, it continue to download for a while.

A friend of mine told me this, he also told me not to download beyond the speed of 300kb or my hardrive will fail or break faster, he also told me to only download 1 torrent at a time, so is all this real?

Many thanks for the help.

Edited by Dark_Shroud (see edit history)

Kluelos,

I hope by saying "treat as SUSPECT anything they ever told you." , you wern't refering to me... lol

hehehe...

Coolaid,

by direct download, I meant a file/s that are being downloaded direct to you via "http" or "ftp" protocall, NOT via bit torrent protocall.

Your bit torrent downloads will repair any damaged files caused by connection errors.

As for being warned not to download faster then 300kB/s or your hard drive will fail, add that comment to the same catagory my friend kluelos suggested for the first comment... :P

As for downloading only one torrent at a time, you friend is giving you good advice in regards to this (although prob. for the wrong reasons)

Downloading more then one torrent at a time will not damage your computer, but WILL severely hurt all bit torrent users.

The reason is most personal broadband users have limited upload rates, and if we divide our upload across more then one torrent, we will be uploading very little data, and everyone we connect to will suffer very slow downloads.

Suspect

a friend of mine told me this, he also told me not to download beyond the speed of 300kb or my hardrive will fail or break faster.

Got to love this.

Let's suppose you bought that PC not for home use, but for the office. You'd hook it into the regular office LAN through your Ethernet NIC, instead of connecting to a modem. And let's say that it was a dull business with ancient technology, a LAN setup from fifteen years ago.

One of the things you'd do there is to copy files to and from a server for whatever reason -- to work on them, then put them back when you're done. Very normal, very boring, and again, very old network. You're downloading from the server, via the office LAN, writing the file to your local hard disk. You edit the file. You put it back on the server the same way.

What speed is this creaky, 15-year-old LAN doing that at? Because it's so old, it's only ten megabits per second. If it were a little more up-to-date office with only 10-year old wiring for the LAN, it would be 100 megabits per second. And if the LAN was installed or upgraded any time since 1999 or so, then it would be one gigabit per second, though a lot of systems cheap out because 100 Mb/s is plenty fast enough for almost any purpose. On the standard office LAN, through standard off-the-shelf NIC cards. Which would be thoroughly and boringly normal.

And your "friend" is telling you that anything above 300 kilobits per second will break it? Enough said.