To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Q/suggestion about BC

flexy123

i might be totally off now...but give me an idea what this shouldn't work.

Well let's say my max connections/task is set to 200...but the peers for a specific torrent are...hmm...1000.

So...i connect to a 200 peers...but 150 of them are either not sending AT ALL or just too slow.

My question:

IS it feasable to have a feature which scans the list of peers/seeds...and auto-bans/kicks peers which are "too slow"...to make room to connect to other peers who might be faster ?

So...that basically the client looks for the fastest peers autimatically ?

It's just that i am always wondering why i have so many peers which i am connected to..but only a few sending data....in my case it's usually that 80% of my peers dont seem to send any data..so why should i need them ???

(Or would my idea totally break the bittorrent concept ? Is it even doable ?

SECOND:

second idea (sorry for making another post):

The status screen is still unclear for me..especially when it comes to NAT traversal.

"Diconnected1" doesn't say too much....i'd like to have more detailed/clearer information, especially so people know whether their NAT traversal actually works. ANd/OR if peers cannot connect because of NAT...it should be clear to see somewhere....

The problem is that a number of NATS obviously dont allow NAT traversal...and at this point i dont even know whether mine works.

There are indications it works (green light, connected peers)...then there are still MANY peers where it says "disconnectedX"....and...then the speeds are the same like when using XXXX-torrent.....where i know the XXXX-torrent client doesnt do NAT traversal.....so i would expect BC getting higher speeds but it doesn't.

Btw. this is not a feature for some unlucky ones behind NAT (like me)...but according to some recent research allegedly up to 60% of all internet users are behind NAT ! Therefore i think it's important smile.gif

as for second post, please use the edit function to add to your exsisting post.

As for connecting to peers that provide very little data, this is mostly cause by people that run several torrents at a time. This is what slows down bit torrent.

If you run one torrent, then you are dividing your limited upload bandwidth among several peers, and if you run a second, third or more, then each peer will get almost nothing, and you will just slow things up.

Suspect

as for second post, please use the edit function to add to your exsisting post.

As for connecting to peers that provide very little data, this is mostly cause by people that run several torrents at a time. This is what slows down bit torrent.

If you run one torrent, then you are dividing your limited upload bandwidth among several peers, and if you run a second, third or more, then each peer will get almost nothing, and you will just slow things up.

Suspect

yes this makes sense...but isn't this a general problem with the BT protocol then ? Eg..i also have only 7 upload slots available...and hundreds of peers are trying to connect to me ?

But my original question still stands...would it be possible to go thru the peer-list and just discard the ones which dont send ?

The bittorrent protocol already does that on its own with ratio controls. If someone has a really low ratio they get snubbed/chocked for downloading until they upload more of what they have. You must also remember that just because you don't see someone seeding doesn't mean they haven't been uploading to someone else.

Good point dark,

you would not want to drop a peer that is uploading to other peers at a good level, cause that data will get to you sooner or later.

Let the bit torrent protocall do its job sorting your peers.

Suspect

Good point dark,

you would not want to drop a peer that is uploading to other peers at a good level, cause that data will get to you sooner or later.

Let the bit torrent protocall do its job sorting your peers.

Suspect

you have a point ! :)

To your question 1, you can ban the user's IP if the user did't send any data as you saw.Here is a picture about that:

post-8-1155795378.jpg

To your question 2, the information of disconnected is from the tracker but not BitComet itself.