To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Downloaded file shown as incomplete

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum so help and advice would be greatly appreciated, I have been using bit comet for the past two years and never experienced this kind of a problem, yesterday I was downloading a video torrent, I tried previewing it in bit comet, I used the preview option for the first time in my life, all it said was buffering, I kept it on for 10 mins but still it said buffering, I finally gave up and cancelled the preview. Then, later that night, after that particular file completed downloading, i went to my 'Downloads' folder to wathc the video, and to my surpirse, that file still showed as an incomplete .bc file even though in bit comet the file had already downloaded and had started uploading, 15-20 mins passed, and still the file showed as incomplete, I finally restarted my computer, and after 5 mins since my computer had been restarted, the file finally showed as a proper downloaded file and I was finally able to watch it.

This has happened with me for the first time and am quiet amazed with this, I am assuming that it happened because i used the preview option for the first time ever, and i have this problem. Can someone please tell me what the real reason behind this is??

Thanks in advance

It seems likely that BC was running through a final hash check (which is optional), when you thought it was complete. A hash check can take quite a while. BC indicates this by saying "checking", irrespective of what the icon shows. The file extension doesn't get changed back until the hash check actually completes.

It seems likely that BC was running through a final hash check (which is optional), when you thought it was complete. A hash check can take quite a while. BC indicates this by saying "checking", irrespective of what the icon shows. The file extension doesn't get changed back until the hash check actually completes.

Thanks for your help, but all my files go through hash checks and never take so much time to change the file extension. A few minutes ago i downloaded a 700 mb file and BC didnt take any time to change the file extension from .bc to .avi after the file had completed downloading, as for the file which i am complaining about in my earlier post, I am pretty sure that BC showed its status as 'Uploading'; despite this, that file still had the extension .bc for around 20 minutes.

It does depend on what else is going on at the time -- ripping a DVD in the background, for example -- anything with a heavy system demand, can greatly slow a hash check down. But maybe that's not it, and you just had a temporary glitch.

I still havent been able to find a legit reason as to why this problem has happened to me, if it were a common problem I would've ignored it, but I seem to be the only one with this, could it be because I used the 'preview' option?? Because I have never used the preview option before, and have never had such a problem, day before I used the preview option for the first time and this problem occured.

Some more feedback on this would be appreciated.

Since you are asking for speculation, I think its likely that your incomplete file was unable to be viewed, which caused a partial crash disabling bit comet until you restarted or rebooted your pc.

I personally don't think it is wise to view partially downloaded video files, as it could cause programs to crash.

In any case, this seems like the most likely answer to me.

Suspect

Since you are asking for speculation, I think its likely that your incomplete file was unable to be viewed, which caused a partial crash disabling bit comet until you restarted or rebooted your pc.

I personally don't think it is wise to view partially downloaded video files, as it could cause programs to crash.

In any case, this seems like the most likely answer to me.

Suspect

Thanks for your reply, since you mentioned 'crash', I would like to inform you that when I previewed the downloadin file, it just said 'buffering' for 10 minutes, I finally gave up and closed the preview, throughout this, there was no crashing of BC, or any kind of disabling or hanging up of BC, the download continued as normal and finished normally, it was after that particular file download I started having problems viewing it since it still said to be a 'Bit Comet incomplete download' in the downloads folder despite the fact it reached 100% in BC and had already stareted uploading.

Well, since I was "speculating" on what might have happened, this may or may not be the cause, but since it did "hang" (if you prefer that to "crash") while buffering, then it's prob a good idea to restart your program (bit comet), or reboot your windows (prob not necessary).

In any case, I have seen alot of problems from trying to play incomplete videos.

Suspect

Well, since I was "speculating" on what might have happened, this may or may not be the cause, but since it did "hang" (if you prefer that to "crash") while buffering, then it's prob a good idea to restart your program (bit comet), or reboot your windows (prob not necessary).

In any case, I have seen alot of problems from trying to play incomplete videos.

Suspect

Thanks once again for your reply, but as far as I know, I have not mention my BC hanging while previewing, all it said was 'buffering' for 10 minutes, I then decided to close the preview (without closing BC), I think its because of the pewview option, because ive never had such a problem as I never used the preview option, day before I use th preview option for the first time and I incur problems.

buffering' for 10 minutes

In my "book", I would call this either "hanging" or "crashing", as no video needs to buffer for that long. Perhaps "not responding" is a better term.

Even though you were able to shut down this process, it is "possible" (not sure if this is what happened), that it caused your error.

Like I said, I would recommend you shut down and restart bit comet if this happens again.

Suspect

After I thought about this for a while, it seemed that there is an obvious answer.

The preview process had not terminated yet, for whatever reason. It hung on until you shut down. That being so, it was holding the file open, and any rename/delete/move operation would have been blocked until it closed the file.

When you rebooted, BC fired up the task, noted that it hadn't fully completed, so did its hash check and its rename, successfully this time.

After I thought about this for a while, it seemed that there is an obvious answer.

The preview process had not terminated yet, for whatever reason. It hung on until you shut down. That being so, it was holding the file open, and any rename/delete/move operation would have been blocked until it closed the file.

When you rebooted, BC fired up the task, noted that it hadn't fully completed, so did its hash check and its rename, successfully this time.

That is what I was trying to say :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: