To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

IS BITCOMET CRAZY!!!!!! !@#@#$#@%$#$%

i've never been so angry , but bitcomet did something stupid today, very stupid.

i click on a torrent file, and open it without saving it, bitcomet begins downloading as usual.

after the file is complete, i click on the "open dir" in bitcomet, then my cpu starts working really hard, and it took 1 min for a window to pop up, and guess where my file is at?

IT"S IN THE IE TEMPORARY FOLDER, AND IT'S NOT JUST IN THE TEMP FOLDER, IT'S DEEP INSIDE THE ABYSS OF THE TEMP FOLDER, WHERE ALL THE SCUM DATA AND AD LEFTOVERS ARE!!!

THAT'S WHERE BITCOMET SAVE MY FILE!!!!1 WHAT IN THE WORLD IS BITCOMET DOING SAVING IT THERE???!!!

something similer has happened before, once i download a torrent file and put it in the my picture folder, i open the torrent file with bitcomet and launch the downlaod, after it's done, i found it insted of being in the downlaod folder of bitcomet, it ended up in the my pictures folder, messing all my photo order up.

but that was nothing compared to this, why did bitcomet save my downloaded file in IE temp folder, that's crazy, i think we all know how messy the temp folder is, don't we? bitcomet open that fole=der up and let lose all the spyware and crap all over my pc, what the F is wrong with bitcomet? what on earth was it doing?

and i'm also worried about my hardrive being damage when bitcomet was downloading and saving and writing data to a sensitive part of the system such as IE temp, that's just crazy! now my hardrive is damage, what was bitcomet doing!!!!????

post and tell me what's i did wrong, this hasn't happened before.

Edited by Dark_Shroud (see edit history)

Well, If you use IE as your browser, the first thing I would do is stop, and do a full scan for spyware/addware, and viruses too.

Then get a more secure browser.

Mozilla firefox is much better.

As for your bit comet, It will download to what ever folder you have set to default, or that you select when starting the torrent.

If you have found files related to your torrent in a temp folder, then it was prob done by windows, not bit comet.

If you are really having the problems you report, then your system is seriously infected with something.

At least this is my opinion.

If you would like further help, then please give full details about your o/s and antivirus and anti spyware programs you use.

Suspect

ok i use windows xp win sp2, 80gb sata. NO VIRUS, i had avg/norton/firewall, i scan my pc everyday, i think it's very clean.

when you said: "will download to what ever folder you have set to default, or that you select when starting the torrent."

what did you meant by that? i had everything to default, never change any settings in bitcomet.

BY DEFAULT bitcomet always save everything in it's "download" folder MOST OF THE TIME, like i said, SOMETIMES it saves it to where-ever i place the torrent file.

eg: i place the torrent file in my desktop, open it with bitcomet and download begins, after it's complete the downloaded file is saved ON my desktop, insted of the folder in bitcomet, this doesn't happen alot, just random.

when you said: "will download to what ever folder you have set to default, or that you select when starting the torrent."

what did you meant by that?

When you start a torrent file, the screen pops up, click on the second tab (advanced) I think, and you can select where you want the torrent saved to.

When bit comet is running, click on "preferrences"

The "task" on the left (tree)

Then click on "default download path" (on right)

You can then select any location you like to be default location.

As for your system being "clean" and free from viruses, addware or spyware, then perhaps you sould uninstall your bit comet and download it again and reinstall.

If you are indeed having these such problems, then something surely is corupt somewhere. Bit comet has countless thousands of users, and I've not see this problem before, so I'm reasonably sure the problem exsists on your computer. I can't say if it is with your copy of bit comet or elsewhere in your system, so take which ever route you feel is more likely to resolve it.

Suspect

ps. Please only get your bit comet from us, to ensure its legit.

i'm just worried about my hardrive being damage when bitcomet was downloading and writing data to a sensitive part of the system such as IE temp, do you think my hardrive is damage?

well i was thinking of something like say, a virus, for example, writes 1 trillion data to critial parts of windows, windows refuse but it keeps writing and the hardrives spins in a bad manner and get's perma damage.

i'm just worried about my hardrive, that's all i care.

thanks so much for your help, i'll reinstall bitcomet, wouldn't know what to do if it weren't for you, so thank you. thanks so much for all your help.

BitComet uses a large cache by default to prevent excess ware on your harddrive. So that's not it.

Also, Norton's scan engine is crap. AVG doesn't test very well either. Get yourself a copy of McAfee or Avast!. Their scan engines are some of the best. Avast's only draw back is the free version doesn't have a scheduler for automatic scans.

And no you don't have to get Firefox. Just make sure you upgrade to IE7 when MS releases the full version in the next couple of months.

NO,

This will not hurt your hard drive.

No sector on your hard drive is any more sensitive then others regarding being used for writing/reading.

Any areas that are "sensitive" would be regarding your operatingsystem, like the boot sector. If a virus corrupted your boot sector, your computer would not boot, but the hard drive it self would not be harmed.

If this did happen (not saying that bit comet could in anyway corrupt your boot sector), all you would have to do is restore the data in your boot sector and your computer would function fine. No damage to your drive.

As for the temp folders you spoke of, windows uses them to store stuff in, not bit comet. Bit comet moves all data via your operating system, so if bit comet tells your windows to put files in folder one, and they end up in folder 32525 (for example), determining how this happened would give any technician a royal headache.

Since all our data is basically coded in binary (ones and zeros), if these ones and zeros get corrupted, god only knows what could happen. In most cases, you end up with BSOD (blue screen of death), but it is possible (but highly unlikely) that it could cause windows to put files in wrong folder.

Suspect