To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

DHT doesn't connect

The DHT Network uses UDP, so therefore you have something blocking UDP.

• Router (add portforward rule for UDP and make sure there's no global rule blocking UDP)
  • Software firewall/antivirus (add an exception rule for Bitcomet and/or open the UDP port)
  • ISP (unlikely)

Tell me what router you have, what software antivirus/firewall you use and maybe I can help.

Tell me what router you have, what software antivirus/firewall you use and maybe I can help.

I am one of the users encountering the same/similar problems (i.e. DHT not connected).

My Windows XP SP2 firewall: Exceptions on BitComet 16229 UDP (same value as the listen port in BitComet settings.

My Norton Internet Sercurity settings: Personal Firewall -> Programs -> Manual program control

----> BitComet - Permit All

The current router used: Aztech Wireless-G Router DSL600EW(1), MRU = 1492 bytes, connected to WAN via PPPoE, currently no port forwarding made.

My laptop communicates with the router via Wireless LAN.

You do not need DHT to connect in order to download files. It is an irrelevant extra, good to have, but in no way necessary, nor will it increase your download speed. It will only find additional peers if it is enabled, but in many torrents it is disabled anyway. Your download problems are elsewhere, and you are merely wasting your time focusing on DHT.

DHT requires that UDP protocol be permitted to access your listen port. If it is being blocked, then you have a firewall blocking it, whether you know about that firewall or not. You must find it and open the listen port for UDP as well as TCP.

Disabling your firewall completely is a very bad idea, much like taking your front door off the hinges, because you haven't figured out how to use the lock. But you only need one firewall. If you have a router, it probably has a firewall built-in to it, which you must learn to configure.

If you have multiple firewalls, you also have a headache, because each of them must, like a series of doors, be opened to the traffic that you want. It only takes one door to block a doorway, and it only takes one firewall to block that traffic.

If you cannont connect to any peers at all, it is probably because you have a software firewall that is blocking all of BitComet's outgoing traffic. You must find that firewall and create a rule allowing Bitcomet outbound access as well as inbound access on its designated listen port.

You do not need DHT to connect in order to download files. It is an irrelevant extra, good to have, but in no way necessary, nor will it increase your download speed. It will only find additional peers if it is enabled, but in many torrents it is disabled anyway. Your download problems are elsewhere, and you are merely wasting your time focusing on DHT.

You are probably right in saying this. In fact, the DHT network is not compulsary at all to complete a torrent, if the tracker servers concern will return peers' info to bitcomet client. But the problem is: if there is only one tracker server for a certain torrent, and that server rejects the bitcomet client, then you will have to need the DHT network very badly.

DHT requires that UDP protocol be permitted to access your listen port. If it is being blocked, then you have a firewall blocking it, whether you know about that firewall or not. You must find it and open the listen port for UDP as well as TCP.

Actually, I've forgotten to say that there is another line in my Windows Firewall exception list:

-> BitComet 16229 UDP

-> BitComet 16229 TCP

If you cannont connect to any peers at all, it is probably because you have a software firewall that is blocking all of BitComet's outgoing traffic. You must find that firewall and create a rule allowing Bitcomet outbound access as well as inbound access on its designated listen port.

I think you have given me a great hint. I found out that i can customize a rule in the Norton Internet Security --> Personal Firewall installed in my computer. I will try study and learn to customize it. If there is anything happening, i'll let you know.

Sites which ban BitComet are usually clueless private sites with ratios, &c., and they also ban DHT-enabled torrents. (Their own thievery is fine, but they don't want anyone stealing from them.) So generally, it won't help even there. Indeed, that was the reason an earlier version of BC was largely banned -- it didn't implement the "disable DHT" functionality the way others did, so that it was possible for non-sitemembers to join the swarm via DHT. That's since been corrected, but that earlier version is still generally banned, not that anyone should be using it anyway.

But this all ignores the larger point: you don't need DHT, and people generally don't need to fret about getting it connected when they have other, larger problems. DHT should be moved to the bottom of the list. Solve that problem last.

Just to let everyone know my outcome: still failed to make my DHT connected. :P

I had create a new personal firewall rule in the Advanced tab for my Norton Internet Security. This is my setting for the greatest priority.

- Rule name: Peer-to-peer Rule

- Access control: permit

- Direction: In/Out

- Computer: Any

- Adapter: Any

- Communications: Any

- Protocol: TCP and UDP

The Aztech Wireless-G Router DSL600EW(1) settings made are:

-> Port forwarding

- Protocol: UDP

- Port start: 1

- Port end: 65535

- Port mapping 1

- LAN-IP: <my LAN IP>

-> DMZ LAN-IP: <my LAN IP>

If there is anyone out there knows what mistakes i had made in the settings, pls let me know. Thx ;)

hay, im having the same dht not connected prob as everyone else, and im not sure what to do. if u can help thatd be sweet

i have a LINKSYS wireless-g broadband router, and i have norton antivirus protection centre. if u could help that be awesome

thanx either way

kyle

You do not need DHT to connect in order to download files. It is an irrelevant extra, good to have, but in no way necessary, nor will it increase your download speed. It will only find additional peers if it is enabled, but in many torrents it is disabled anyway. Your download problems are elsewhere, and you are merely wasting your time focusing on DHT...

Yes, you do not need DHT to connect in order to download files.

I have checked that BC v0.56 does not have the DHT connection shown in the status bar.