To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Disable Upload

deepblue

I've got somewhat of a strange question. My ISP has recently changed its filesharing policy and no longer allows file sharing, although downloading is still legal under thier policy. The ports used by programs such as LimeWire and BitTorrent to upload files are being filtered by my ISP, and my account has been flagged and disabled once already. So is there any way to disable the upload of a torrent in BitComet? Is there any way that I can just download a file and not upload at the same time, or is download speed porportional to upload speed? I know that leeching really isin't nice, but I would really like to continue using BitTorrent, but my hands are tied. Thanks for your help!

deepblue

No, there is no way to do this.

Bittorrent works by having swarm members negotiate with each other, basically a sort of swapping. Connections are favored/disfavored by what they offer and deliver quickly. If your client has nothing to offer, or doesn't deliver on its offers, or delivers them slowly, you will be snubbed by other clients. That means they won't send to you either.

Bottom line is that if you cant upload, you won't download either.

Bittorrent does not require the use of any one particular port. Schemes like your ISP's are the reason for the "random port" setting. But you can just as effectively randomize it yourself. In order to reduce possible conflicts, it is best to limit yourself to ports between 49000 and 65535, but any port in that range that you aren't already using for something else, is just fine, and no one port is any different or better than any other. Choose one by flipping darts or tossing coins at the start of each session.

Unlike some other programs, bittorrent really and truly doesn't give a hoot which port is used and there is zero advantage to one over another. Nor does it care if that port changes from session to session.

Some ports are thought of as "usual and customary" by some people, such as your ISP, but there's really no such thing.

(Do note that if you have a router and BC's UPnP doesn't work on it, changing the port like this is very obviously going to give you forwarding problems.)

If you can't, or don't want to join in on "free" file sharing, then there are many newsgroups and sites like rapidshare, megaupload where you can only download.

Perhaps they will suit you better.

I personally don't want any finacial records linking me to these groups/sites, so I perfer bit torrent.

Bit torrent is free, because you are sharing what you download, so you are part of the process of sharing.

Suspect

Thanks for your help guys! If BitTorrent requires no particular port than how is my ISP able to detect uploading through BitTorrent as illegal activity? Surely there has to be some constant port. Or is it the case that there is a default port that BitComet uses and my ISP has chosen to filter? I do use a router, but I have configured it to act as a switch so it really shouldn't cause a problem when changing port settings. One other question though; what if I choose to use the port number of a legitimate program that is not in use on my machine? For example what if I set BitComet to use the port that Norton Anti-Virus uses to connect to the LiveUpdate service. For all my ISP knows it's only virus definitions and whatnot being communicated through that port, right? Thanks again for your replies!

deepblue

In your perferences you can select any port you like for bit comet to use.

You can also select no listening port, or for it to pick a port at random.

However, no listening port will slow down you speed alot. and each time ports change, you will need to change your router settings, or again speeds will be slow.

It is also possible that your isp is using software to detect bit torrent traffic, so if you enable protocall encryption this may help.

Suspect