To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Question....

bcpunk

Hi, I'm using BitComet 0.70 and I had a question...

If the computer shutdown or restart unexpectedly during download of the torrent [e.g. power failure/system halt], Would it affect the files during download? And is it necessary to do the hash checking?

When restarting from a crash, it is often not necessary to do a hash check, as any pieces that havn't passed hash check will begin to download again.

However, I strongly recommend you set your client to do a final hash check when torrent finishes. This is not necessary, but will provide a redundant check to elliminate errors that could occur from such crashes or power outages.

Suspect

This is common if you select files to be downloaded that were not perviously sellected.

I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to or not.

The reason for this is previously downloaded bits of date to the newly selected file were downloaded and discarded as unwanted, but now that you select a file, all pieces of the torrent that are needed to complete that file need to be downloaded again, so some of your complete files may have some data discarded.

Suspect

This is just my personal opinion, but I strongly suggest you NOT download that patch.

At best it will adjust your settings and may help a bit (which you could do better yourself by reading and trying different settings, and I don't even want to start thinking of what bad results could happen.

As for peer gaurdian, it will keep you from connecting to peers that monitor bit torrent download in hopes of starting criminal and civil proceedings. I strongly suggest you get peer gaurdian, but not for the reason of "stopping rubbish data"

Suspect

The way I see it....

Peers with rubbish data have very weird upload/download rate. Because actually at my 256K DSL connection..

Most downloads are around less than 20 KB/s DN [5-15 KB/s] but when it comes to a rubbish peer, The rate goes upto 20-30 KB/s DN. Is that correct?

And also...

Is it necessary to stop the torrent before shutting down the computer?

And...

Why does some torrents stop longer than usual? Especially the one with compressed files.

Please always shut down your torrents, then close bit comet before shutting down your PC.

Most rubbish download is result of bad connections somewhere.

I'm not sure what you mean by "stop longer then usual"

Suspect

Please always shut down your torrents, then close bit comet before shutting down your PC.

Most rubbish download is result of bad connections somewhere.

I'm not sure what you mean by "stop longer then usual"

Suspect

Actually when I stop the torrent, It stops instantly. But some torrents doesn't. I have to wait, and sometimes it feels like BitComet halted. [because of the non-stopping disk activity].

This sounds like your computer is bogged down with processes.

You can check your memory usage in task manager when this happens, but if you are low on memory, you will have to wait for it to shut down.

To suddenly stop your torrents by turning off computer will leave peers expecting data and such (not polite). It is much better to stop torrent, then shut down your client before rebooting.

Suspect

it is possible that your anti virus is involved in this, but I think its more likely that some of the applications your running are using huge amounts of ram memory. This is the main cause of programs being sluggish and slow to respond.

As I said, you can check this in "task manager" (press control-alt-delete)

then click on processes tab and look for which ones are using the most memory (do this when its acting slow)

Suspect

The only thing that would happen is that BC would stop downloading or download into the memory/cache until that was full and then stop downloading.

HDDs are not that expensive anymore on-line. So save up and get yourself a nice big one. I'm already saving for one of those new 700gb from Seagate. And I already have a 250 gig & 300 gig in my PC.

Ok, I'll try to save up to buy a new HDD.

I also saw the brand new external HDD from Seagate - Pushbutton Backup 750GB. It looks very good.

And umm...

About rubbish datas.

Nowadays I've been receiving huge amount of rubbish data while downloading some torrents (approx. 100MB+++ rubbish data dropped) even with PeerGuardian enabled and updated. Is there any other possible ways to block those rubbish peers?

Experimentally I tried to ban some IP [through Peer section], The peers with errors, The rubbish data stopped increasing and the download rate decrease rapidly.

And also, Can I configure BitComet to ban the rubbish peer permanently and instantly? Because I have to wait for sometimes until BitComet automatically ban them, which waste time.