To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Problem with invalid file path...

phaedrus06

New to the forum but an old BitComet user. This is the first time I have encountered this problem. I go to open a file in the client, try to download it, and then a window appears and tells me as follows:

First it lists the file path I have chosen to downlaod to and then right after it it tells me "About the folder NAME OF FOLDER HERE contains invalid file path."

Trying to figure out what happened but no luck so far from y general fiddling with the program and looking up stuff on forums. Any help is appreciated.

I run a laptop with a P4 processor, 512 RAM, Windows XP Home Service Package 2, no firewall block or port limitation access for BitComet, and am running the stable version of BitComet 7.0

Thanks.

Does this happen generally, or is it one particular torrent or torrent site?

If it's general, then you need to reset your default download directory. It may be that your preferences file has gotten corrupted, or it may be that one of the directory names in the pathname has been munged. That should tell you either way.

If it's specific, look at the download pathnames in the torrent, checking for invalid characters. Some foreign-language torrents can cause this sometimes. If it's one particular torrent, it may have been damaged at some stage, so try re-downloading it just in case that's where the problem was. Also look for other's reports of problems, there may be a fixed torrent available.

Does this happen generally, or is it one particular torrent or torrent site?

If it's general, then you need to reset your default download directory. It may be that your preferences file has gotten corrupted, or it may be that one of the directory names in the pathname has been munged. That should tell you either way.

If it's specific, look at the download pathnames in the torrent, checking for invalid characters. Some foreign-language torrents can cause this sometimes. If it's one particular torrent, it may have been damaged at some stage, so try re-downloading it just in case that's where the problem was. Also look for other's reports of problems, there may be a fixed torrent available.

Stupid me. I was getting something for a Mac on my PC and I did not realize there were "|" signs in a couple of the file's names, which are invalid in Windows. So I just dropped those unecessary files and volia, the download began. Smart me.

regarding "stupid me v. 1.0"

This program is full of bugs, so I recommend removing it permanantly, and installing the latest version of "smart me" (version 2.0 or higher)

If "stupid me" trys to reinstall again, you must stop it AT ONCE!

Suspect