To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Bit Comet Acting very very strange......Help needed

hitender_s

i got this really wierd problem yesterday...I downloaded and opened the "Full Prison Break Season 1" torrent...it has 13 files bt instead...i planned of downloading one file at a time...in the properties box..I unlicked all the files except for the Episode 2 file. i downloaded the second episode first....opened it...watched it...fine. Then i decided to download the 3rd episode...i went to the torrent properties..unclicked the 2nd episode..and clicked the 3rd episode...downloaded the third episode...now dis is where my bit comet starts acting retarded. i wanted to watch the video..but to my surprise...it doesnt open...says i need codec...i tried oepning it with 10 other video applications...doesnt open...i then re-downloaded the third episode...and den it started working..I felt sumthing is surely wrong but didnt know what was wroung and what i could do..can any please tell me why this happened so that i can finally stop taking tension over this.

PLESAE HELP ME

THANKS IN ADVANCE

First of all, downloading one episode at a time like that isn't the best idea, as it will take much longer to get them all downloaded.

I also would not "uncheck" a prior episode (unless you have copied it to another location first, or you may loose part of it.

Selecting files from within a torrent is an option that some advanced clients offer, but it was never designed to download one file at a time as you are doing, and you surely will end up with these problems if you continue to change the selected files a dozen times or more during the course of the torrent.

Suspect

Thanks for your help...that reminds me...I actually have to admit that i did check and uncheck the files endless number of times because i could decide which file to download first since i recently got to know about this option of downloadin in parts..

Could that be the reason??

I was initally downloading the whole season which was 8.5 GB..but then..a friend told me about the option of downloading in parts...thats when i went to properties unselected all files and seleted the ones I wanted to download..by that time..parts of the first six .avi files had already been downloaded since the downloads folder contained 7-8 .bc extensions.. Could that be another reason??? Now ive deleted the .bc exntensions and once i download those files..ill make sure i start downloading then freshly

It's very likely.

This option was not supported in the orignal bit torrent protocall, and is something that was developed by bit comet and a few other clients. It generally works pretty well if you select and download, but it could cause serious problems if alot of changes are made.

You might have also found that by deselecting "episode two" that when "episode three" was complete, you might no longer have a complete episode two.

This could happen if one of the torrents pieces spanned both episodes, so that part would be deleted and redownloaded to get a complete episode three. then the parts that belong in episode two would be deleted, since episode two is no longer selected. Then if you select JUST episode two to complete it "again", you would no longer have complete episode three...

Since the torrents aren't designed to do this, its best to "set it, and forget it" so to speak...

If you don't have the hard drive space, and need to do partial torrents, then I suggest you download half, back them up on to discs, then download the second half.

You should find this option to work very well when used in this mannor.

Suspect

Thnaks for your help, I opened episode 2 to check if anything is missing. I browsed to episdoe from start to end, but found nothing missing or deleted.

That being a different scenario all together, what I was really concerned about was as to why the file I downloaded just didn't open and it seemed as though I downloaded the file which got corrupted.

The more weirder thing is that when I re-downloaded the file, it started working.

I did the same thing for the Lost first season, I downloaded it in parts, but did'nt make a single change by checking and unchecking the boxes several times and I've had absolutely no problems with that torrent, downloaded 5 episodes one-by-one, all working and good

Your overall download times will be less if you get more/all at a time, and you will be a more useful peer to others as well.

As for why the first attempt at that episode failed, there is no way to determine now, but with the information you now have should help limit the problem/s or illimitate them.

suspect

Well Well Well....It's happened once again

This time its my Lost Season torrent..i downloaded one episode...and it doesnt work..same freakin error as Prison Break...REALLLY getting bugging now. I think its happening because of the way i use the 'downloading in parts' option...can anyone tell me if Im doing anything wrong??

Thanks

I download a lot of seasons of anime. But I usually want to watch the first episode first, and so on. So what I do is set the priority of say, the first 2 episodes at "Very High" and the next two at "High" and the rest at "Normal". The torrent seems to download in the same amount of time, but I get the episodes I want first.

I tried opening it in all the possible media players including WMP; tried 10 diffferent ones but to no avail. Downloaded another 5 of them, still the problem persisted, finally I just download the file again, then to my surprise it started working in WMP.

Never had this problem before. For the first time I've used the 'downloading in parts' option and incur this problem.

EDIT: Someone please help me. Its happened again. I know I'm going wrong somewhere.

Look son. Just stop with all this one at a time stuff. Download the whole torrent like everybody else. :D

Edited by Mod: I'm going to assume you're joking because of the " :D " but no swearing or name calling of other users is allowed. We try to maintain a family forum here and some people can't take a ribbing. Happy posting. :)

Edited by Dark_Shroud (see edit history)

Yes if you set the priorities Bitcomet will allocate more bandwidth to those with higher priority and they should theoretically finish first. This option is better than downloading in parts because if pieces arent readily available for the files with high priority Bitcomet will move on to those with lower priority. Also you will be a better contributor to the swarm since your client isnt outright rejecting certain pieces that may be the most readily available to you and the most beneficial to the swarm as a whole.

An original seeder would hate it if everyone decided to only download one episode at a time. It would take forever to seed the complete package and they would waste a whole lot of their bandwidth.

How do you do a manual hash check anyways? I don't see an option anywhere to do it.

Starfire,

I am using BC 0.70.

When you right click any of the torrent, you should see the option manual hash check available. Have to stop the torrent first.

K.C