To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Can't download torrents?!?!?!?!

HIM_Darling

For some reason, now that I am connected to the internet provided by my college I can't download any torrents from anywhere! Somehow my college's internet is preventing people from downloading things through BitComet and other things of the like. Does anyone know how to get around whatever it is that they did?

I am :(

I am :angry:

I am :huh:

Please help this poor soul if you can!

It would make her very :D

And you would be very B)

Hi "Darling",

Many schools are doing this.

We hope to have more info on possible ways to work around networks that block bit torrent shortly.

One thing you can try is disable your listening port, which may work, but will make downloads slow.

Suspect

This is a separate issue, entirely, so make sure you know which one you're dealing with.

You said, "can't download any torrent file", which is entirely different from "unable to download the torrent contents."

Many organizations have placed filetype blocks on torrents. That means you won't be able to download the .torrent file itself, much less load it into a bittorrent client. The block is on the http filetype.

THe workaround for this is to get the torrent file in some other way. For example, have a friend elsewhere zip the .torrent up and email it to you. Sooner or later some enlightened torrent site is going to understand this and figure a way around it (like FTP'ing or emailing the file) but that hasn't happened yet.

Once you have the torrent, you can open it in your bittorrent client and attempt to download the content. This is not to say that you won't then run into another problem.