To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Download rate = Upload rate

Ive noticed that My download rate is directly related to my upload rate

ex. I turned my upload rate from ~60 KB/s - 0KB/s, and my download went from ~60KB/s - 0KB/s

I read the Bit Comet Settings Guide, And opened the port on my DI 614+ router

Also turned off my Windows XP SP2 Firewall

My question is, how do some people get over 100KB/s downloads? Are they ackually Uploading 100KB/s as well?

My speed test confirmed that I can be downloading at ~250KB/s

Ive noticed that My download rate is directly related to my upload rate

ex. I turned my upload rate from ~60 KB/s - 0KB/s, and my download went from ~60KB/s - 0KB/s

I read the Bit Comet Settings Guide, And opened the port on my DI 614+ router

Also turned off my Windows XP SP2 Firewall

My question is, how do some people get over 100KB/s downloads? Are they ackually Uploading 100KB/s as well?

My speed test confirmed that I can be downloading at ~250KB/s

hi there

to answer your question no you do not need to upload 100kbs to receive 100kbs i have downloaded at my maximum connection speed on a single torrent

make sure your port or ports are open check here http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl

it also sounds that you might be connecting to a file that had a low share ratio many public trackers are like that to many leechers that don't seed to 1.5 or more

if you want a good download speed make sure there a bunch of seeds like 50% and 2 seeds and 4 leechers wont cut it 50/100 is looking good

whats your upload speed

hi there

to answer your question no you do not need to upload 100kbs to receive 100kbs i have downloaded at my maximum connection speed on a single torrent

make sure your port or ports are open check here http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl

it also sounds that you might be connecting to a file that had a low share ratio many public trackers are like that to many leechers that don't seed to 1.5 or more

if you want a good download speed make sure there a bunch of seeds like 50% and 2 seeds and 4 leechers wont cut it 50/100 is looking good

whats your upload speed

Im currently uploading at 80%, 46KB/s.

My download hasn't gone much past 46KB/s, The Torrents Health is 2500%, 5 seeders / 765 peers.

So it might be a seeding problem?

Im currently uploading at 80%, 46KB/s.

My download hasn't gone much past 46KB/s, The Torrents Health is 2500%, 5 seeders / 765 peers.

So it might be a seeding problem?

that's the problem for sure to many leechers when a file is healthy 30% to 50% seeds you can lower your upload to get a better download

Hi, I'm facing a similar problem. My download's way toooo slow, I mean

I've been downloading a 347.22 MB file for the past three days. The

progress's only 62.9% Right now I've got 33 connected seeds and

55 connected peers with download rate of 3 KB/sec from 33 peers

and upload rate of 4 KB/sec from 5 peers.

Can anyone tell me why is it taking such a long time to download

and why am I getting such a slow downloading rate.

• 9 months later...
i done a test and the results follow (D) 4719 (U) 98

Hi,

You are reporting a download speed under 5mb/s, and an upload under 0.1mb/s

Either you have other programs/computers using the net and restricting your bandwidth, the test is invalid, or your not getting what you paid for.

Anyhow, and upload of 98kb/s converts to 12kB/s, so if that is the limit of your bandwidth, a max upload of 8-10kB/s would be about right.

With that little bandwidth, I would also disable dht (unless a torrent actually needs it)

however, first thing you need to do is verify the test with all programs shut down, and do many tests on many different servers, here is a good site.

http://speedtest.net

Compare the results to what your ISP claims, and complain if your not getting what you paid for.

ok, at least your upload speed is much stronger in some of those tests, so with an upload of 44kB/s (350kb/s), you should set your global max upload to about 35kB/s (280kb/s).

b=bits (B=Bytes)

Keep in mind, that this is only a starting point, and finding the exact setting to upload the most, but without bogging down your communications will take some experimenting, and the optimal settings can be different from torrent to torrent.

Also, you need to let your client run for 20mins or so to really see any change from your settings.

Since your upload rate is very limited, you should usually only run one torrent at a time, as long as that torrent is active, you won't save any time running multiple torrents, and doing so will make you a "bad peer" (one that gives very little data to any one peer).

Also, assuming you want to be a "good peer", your going to run all your torrents until the ratio is at least 1.10 or better (even higher if you really like what you download), so your downloads will be Dependant on your ability to upload.

Another technique I use, is when my torrent is seeding (not downloading), I will bump up my max upload rate a bit. I would recommend 40-42 when seeding.

PS. if you paid for 10mb/s broadband, you should complain to your isp