To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Local & Remote Connections

Using BComet .70 and most of my connection are local(except for 3 Bitlord users which are NAT traversal)

I get no remote connections.I Understand this to be a problem with firewall on my end.I,m connected using the new shiny white BT Home hub(not using wireless) and have forwarded BC's listening ports(TCP and UDP=49000)in the hub.I also have Norton Protection Center and have "Permit all" in the configure firewall part for BC.XPsp2 firewall is disabled.Download speeds usually poor but can max out if i DL this "OOo_2[1].0.4rc1_060622_Win32Intel_install.exe".Speed usually gets upto 180kb-200kb.Upload speeds regularly 40-50 kb.DHT connected node:1361 with a little green light at the bottom of BC.Upnp disabled in BC and in the hub.I,m not complaining about speeds and BC runs ok(no hangs or crashes) and pc runs smooth.

I was jus wondering why i get no remote connections?

(Currently downloadin a 3.5GB game,KBdown=40__KBup=40__seed/peer[all]=21/113[22/144] all but 3 connections are local,3 NATtraversal.

Any body got any ideas ?

EDIT

Just been doing some more reading.

I jus carried out 2 port checks .1 here http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl and 1 here http://www.canyouseeme.org/.

Both are saying that they cannot see a service running on port 49000.

So i guess my port forwarding isn't setup correctly.

Can any one point me in the right direction ?

This is most commonly caused by failure to set a static IP properly. Most routers will forward a port through their firewalls only to one particular IP address, so you'd better be at that address. Since DHCP-assigned addresses are changeable, someone will think they've forwarded their port correctly only to find that their assigned IP has changed. Review the instructions found at portforward.com and make sure you've set things up correctly.

The next most common reason is a software firewall rule that somebody thinks is working, but isn't. That often happens after upgrading. You know it's just an upgrade to an existing program, but the firewall thinks it's a whole new program that it doesn't have an exception for, so blocks it by default. Easiest way to cure that is to delete all of your rules, and recreate them.

Another common reason is having an additional firewall and not knowing it. Many security suites contain a firewall, but don't make that clear enough to customers. Sometimes people install another firewall and either don't understand what it is, or forget that they've done it. For this, you must review all of the running processes on your system, identify them, and play "find the firewall".

Cheers kluelos for the advice.

I went over everything again and couldn't find anything wrong so decided to change my static ip again.But this time i didn't use the one in ipconfig /all.I assigned my self a made up address.

Now all seems well.

I have local and remote connections in BC and in UTorrent (am i allowed to mention that here.... ;)) i got a green tick instead of a yellow triangle.

Way Hay

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers kluelos for the advice.

I went over everything again and couldn't find anything wrong so decided to change my static ip again.But this time i didn't use the one in ipconfig /all.I assigned my self a made up address.

Now all seems well.

I have local and remote connections in BC and in UTorrent (am i allowed to mention that here.... ;)) i got a green tick instead of a yellow triangle.

Way Hay

:D

JCBuz I would love to know how you did this. I've had the same problem for a long time and just not too long ago I called linksys and set up a static IP for myself. Yet, canyouseeme.org still can't see me.

What did you do different?

So dark forge, you set up the static IP

Did you set up the static IP in the router or in Windows?

After setting the static IP did you follow the directions at portforward.com for your router?

Have you allowed Bitcomet full access through any software firewall/antivirus that you have?

More info about your setup and what steps you've done is needed for anyone to be able to help you

So dark forge, you set up the static IP

Did you set up the static IP in the router or in Windows?

After setting the static IP did you follow the directions at portforward.com for your router?

Have you allowed Bitcomet full access through any software firewall/antivirus that you have?

More info about your setup and what steps you've done is needed for anyone to be able to help you

Here's some things about my computer. Fresh install of Windows XP Pro (original disc, had to reinstall), Service Pack 2, fully updated, no antivirus software or firewall software except for Windows Firewall and Router Firewall.

Here's what I've done.

>> In Network Connections -> Wireless Network Connection (Linksys Router WRT54G v.2.02.7) [clicking on Properties] -> Internet Protocol [clickingt on Properties] I have...

IP Address: 192.168.2.2

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1

Perfered DNS Server: 192.168.1.1

And then in my router I have in "SETUP" page...

Internet Connection type: STATIC IP

Internet IP Address: 192.168.1.2

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.252

Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Static DNS: 192.168.1.1

And then in Bitcomet, I have port 55555 opened. And in Wireless Network Connection [Properties] -> Advanced Tab -> Settings, I have Windows Firewall turned ON but in Exceptions Tab, I have BitComet allowed. Two exceptions. BitComet 55555 TCP & UDP.

One more thing, in my router is a firewall. It is turned off and the port for BitCom1 is opened (55555 TCP & UDP).

Is there anything I'm missing? Plus, I cannot be seen in canyouseeme.org.

>> In Network Connections -> Wireless Network Connection (Linksys Router WRT54G v.2.02.7) [clicking on Properties] -> Internet Protocol [clickingt on Properties] I have...

Perfered DNS Server: 192.168.1.1

Good to here.

Not good. Who told you to do that?

Even worse. You probably won't connect at all this way. You need to set this whole section up the way your ISP told you to set it up, and henceforth leave it alone.

Why are you doing this?

These will probably also give you trouble. Again, set this whole section as your ISP told you to set it, and don't alter it.

You are working with the wrong set of settings for the router. You need to be working with the LAN side of things, not the WAN side.

One more thing, in my router is a firewall. It is turned off and the port for BitCom1 is opened (55555 TCP & UDP).

No, it isn't. If your firewall is turned off, then you have nothing to forward a port through.

I suggest you reset your router to its defaults, then configure it as your ISP instructs. Now you should make no changes unless you understand exactly what you are doing and why. If you don't understand the why, don't make the change. Blindly following instructions only partly understood is what got you here. If the screen doesn't look the way it should, don't fumble about hoping for the best.

Working with your DHCP tab, which tells your router how you want to handle DHCP assignments for machines connected to it, set your start address at 192.168.2.2. We chose .2 because .1 is the router itself, and no two devices on a single network can have duplicate IP addresses. We don't want the router assigning its own IP as part of it's pool.

Now decide how many DHCP addresses you need. You may not need any, but it's good to keep at least one available. If you have other computers connected to the router, they'll probably want dynamic addresses too. So use 1 + however many other computers there are, as the DHCP range. Let's say you entered 2.

That means that two addresses, starting at 192.168.2.2, will be dynamically assigned to anything that connects to the router and asks for a DHCP address. That covers the addresses 192.168.2.2 through 192.168.2.4. Anything else that connects, needs a fixed IP address in the 192.168.2.5 through 192.168.2.255 range = this range being controlled by your netmask.

So YOUR computer needs a static ip in that range. Doesn't matter specifically what it is as long as it's in that range. You change your computer's wireless network settings to establish an address within that acceptable range. So make it 192.168.2.7 Why 7? Why not? Make it .42 if you like.

Leave the netmask as is, 255.255.255.0 The default gateway is, um, this router, so use it's local IP, 192.168.2.1, for your default gateway. Not that it matters, because this is your ONLY gateway, default or not. Your primary, and only, dns server is likewise this router, at the same address.

If you have the router firewall turned off, a not-so-bright thing to do, you don't need to forward a port. But it should be enabled again, because you reset the router to its defaults, right? You DID do that, right? Not still screwing about on your own, thinking you know better?

So with the firewall on, set up the port forwarding in the advanced tab. Use the computer's IP address as the destination IP, and your listen port as the start and end ports (if applicable), and open for both TCP and UDP traffic. If that means you need to make two rules, one for each, then make two rules.

Test the setup to make sure you've got internet access. Then test your listen port with bitcomet running.

I dunno what the heck I was thinking, but my Wireless Network Connect is actually a WMP54G V4. THAT is hooked up to my computer, and it connect to the WRT54G v.2.02.7

Not good. Who told you to do that?

Nobody. Since I'm setting up a Static IP I thought that would be a part of it. I guess not.

Even worse. You probably won't connect at all this way. You need to set this whole section up the way your ISP told you to set it up, and henceforth leave it alone.

What? But I'm connected right now. On the wireless computer, with these settings.

Why are you doing this?

It was set up that way.

These will probably also give you trouble. Again, set this whole section as your ISP told you to set it, and don't alter it.

You are working with the wrong set of settings for the router. You need to be working with the LAN side of things, not the WAN side.

No, it isn't. If your firewall is turned off, then you have nothing to forward a port through.

If you have the router firewall turned off, a not-so-bright thing to do, you don't need to forward a port. But it should be enabled again, because you reset the router to its defaults, right? You DID do that, right? Not still screwing about on your own, thinking you know better?

Alright alright alright so I screwed up about as bad as getting screwed by a gay guy in a jail cell. At least pour water on the wound rather than salt.

Also, I changed all that now. So now here's the info for...

WMP54G V4 (Wireless Network Connection)

DNS: 192.168.1.1

WRT54G V.2.02.7

SETUP PAGE

Internet Setup

Internet Connection Type: Automatic Configuration - DHCP

Network Setup

Local IP Address: 192.168.2.1

DHCP Server: Enabled

Starting IP Address: 192.168.2.2

Max. number of DHCP Users: 3

Static DNS: 192.168.2.1

STATUS PAGE

Internet

Configuration Type

Login Type: Auto-Config - DHCP

IP Address: 192.168.1.2

Subnet: 255.255.255.252

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

DNS 1: 192.168.2.1

DNS 2: 192.168.1.1

I dunno why on earth I have those, nor are they on the setup page. What I stated above in the setup page is what is in there.

Alright alright alright so I screwed up about as bad as getting screwed by a gay guy in a jail cell. At least pour water on the wound rather than salt.

lol

no one is intending to "pour salt" on your wound, nor insult you.

You are in good hands with Kluelos, if anyone can sort this out, it will be him.

Suspect

You sure he didn't salt up the wound? Sure sounds like he did.

Kluelos you're helping me out so much, don't stop now. Did I get those right?

Oy, one router behind another. That does explain some things.

I'm assuming there's some good reason for this, that you have to or want to do it that way. (If you don't have to, then remove the wireful router, and just use the wireless, directly into the modem. If you did it just to add the wireless feature, that's the way to go. You only need the other router if you have some entirely separate subnet you haven't mentioned.)

Waitasec. I started typing a lengthy explanation, and realized it might not even be needed. So if you did hook it up that way just to add wireless capability, let's sort it by removing the wireful router completely. Then you're back to the setup that portforward.com contemplated.

Oy, one router behind another. That does explain some things.

I'm assuming there's some good reason for this, that you have to or want to do it that way. (If you don't have to, then remove the wireful router, and just use the wireless, directly into the modem. If you did it just to add the wireless feature, that's the way to go. You only need the other router if you have some entirely separate subnet you haven't mentioned.

Thing is that the computer I'm trying to setup a static IP address for is upstairs. That's my computer. My dad has a computer downstairs and he has his computer connected through the router to the modem. So there's two of them. Does that mean I have to setup a static IP address for both of our computers?

You probably don't, not that it would really affect things.

Realizing that you have to discuss things with your father, my suggestion is that you should replace his router with yours. That is, unplug the downstairs router, put it away or sell it, and put the wireless router in its place.

Most wireless routers are actually wireless-optional. That is, you can connect a few things with wires, and others wirelessly. My own setup is similar to this, with a computer in the same room with the modem & router. It happens to use a wired connection now, though it could and has in the past used wireless. Meanwhile other computers in the house use wireless, so cables don't have to be run all over the place and so that visiting laptops can connect to the network. The router, like most home routers, will support four wired connections and a bunch more wirelessly.

By "optional", I mean that the router can be used without the wireless feature at all -- as just an ordinary wired router -- if so desired.

So you'd plug your father's machine into the wireless router just as it's now plugged into the current router. Then you'd connect your computer wirelessly. It will make no net difference at all in terms of speed, for either of you because either kind of connection is far, far faster than your internet connection through the modem.

Then you can configure one or both computers with static IP's. It really makes no difference for general purposes. The reason you need a static IP is that a router's firewall will generally only forward a port through to a specific IP, and your computer needs to be at that IP. If your father's machine doesn't need an open port, then it doesn't matter whether it's dynamic or static, for this purpose.

In general terms now, the net effect of this is zero. As either of you communicates with the internet, your apparent IP is that of the router. Whether the back end connections are dynamic or static, your apparent IP remains that of the router as far as the rest of the world is concerned, and is dynamically assigned by your ISP. So that situation won't change.

In specific terms, the net noticeable difference will also be zero, but it will be far easier to configure the network. What you're doing now is a little like going around three sides of a square rather than directly to the destination.

Wait, replace my router with his? Alright, let me just be specific here. And sorry for not replying for 3 days, school has had my attention for a while.

My wireless connection is through the WMMP54G, which is a PCI Express card. Not like a router where it's operational outside of the computer.

My dad is hooked to the wireless/wired router. He's hooked to the router through an ethernet cable, and through the router, an ethernet cable to the modem. The modem is not wireless. The purpose for the router being wireless is to hook me up to the modem too.

And sorry for not being specific, I'm probably giving you trouble here.

What is the brand and model of the modem because it seems like this too is a router based on what you've posted.

It appears so because your Wifi Gateway(192.168.2.1) is in turn getting its connection from another gateway(192.168.1.1)

Please post the brand and model of the modem so we can confirm. Then there are a couple different ways of getting this all set up properly. Oh and please tell us who your ISP is.

That's as I had thought it would be.

He's got a wired-only router. You've got a router that can be both wired and wireless, at the same time. (As I said, this is the setup I currently use.) So your father's computer would continue to use a wired setup, same ethernet cable, only now it's plugged into your router, which sits where his used to, plugged directly into the modem as his used to, and he should not find any network difference at all. You, meanwhile, connect wirelessly to the same router. The major difference you'll notice is that your network management life just got a whole lot simpler. Neither of you should experience any loss of speed or connectivity at all -- if somebody snuck in and configured this, you'd probably never know it.

If he ever, for some reason, wants to get a wireless card (they're very cheap) for his computer, he can be wireless too. That's good if he ever wants to move the machine, but can't because of the length or positioning of the ethernet cable. Or he can stay wired forever. Makes no effective difference. If he or you want to get a wireless laptop, that just became a whole lot easier too.

He's got a wired-only router.

Close. I have a wired only modem. Other than that everything else is true.

Again, computer upstairs; my computer, has a PCI Wireless card in it (Linksys WMP54G). That wirelessly connects to the Linksys ROUTER (Model number: WRT54G v.2.02.7). Through the router I get to the internet by my ARESCOM NetDSL 800 Modem made by MSN.

Now downstairs , my dad connects to the same ROUTER, the WRT54G v.2.02.7 model. Reminder: The WRT54G v.2.02.7 model router has wireless AND wired capabilities. My dad's computer connect to the very same router through and ethernet cable. And through the very same router, he gets to the modem and to the internet.

This is about as clear as I can get. And to answer Bitdave's question, my ISP is MSN.

Again, sorry for the 3 day delay. School is a complete time-whore.

sorry for the 3 day delay. School is a complete time-whore.

No prob, Im in school too and I know exactly what you mean.

Thank you for posting the model of your modem. A quick search on google reveals the terrible truth

Read Here and cry :(

Good luck with all that ;) maybe you should call MSN and see if you can get a different modem cause that's ridiculous.

I would think you could use any dsl modem

but

You should definitely give your ISP a call because they may require that you use that modem

or they may need to know the MAC address of any new modem you might purchase

so your gonna need to call MSN no matter what

(unless you're a sadist and want to follow those steps I posted a link to) :lol: