To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

For Unusual suspect

rodw

Can you advise how important it is to have I. C. S connected to my machine, my best speed is 22kbs down and would like it better if possible, but apon reading "A Guide to painless networks" and knowing my limits of experience figured there must be a easier way.

My setup is as follows:-

Default tracker optimization rules file loaded.

Start Listening at TCP Port:6681

Start Listening at UDP Port:6681

BitComet 0.70 is running on:

CPU : Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.00GHz 2019 MHz

RAM size : 767.48 MB

OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)

Windows XP WF Status: TCP Port is not opened in Windows Firewall.

Windows XP WF Status: add TCP port in Windows Firewall Succeed.

Windows XP WF Status: UDP Port is not opened in Windows Firewall.

Windows XP WF Status: add UDP port in Windows Firewall Succeed.

Update Local IP: 58.105.137.107

Windows XP ICS Status: cannot find working ICS.

Windows XP UPnP Status: device not found!

These last two items are they important if so how can I turn them on, also with regards to listening ports does it find the best port or do I have to find them, an again what is the best way

Best regards

Rod W.

as dark shroud suggested, most of this can be answered by simply reading out settings guide.

If you are not using a router, then please disable these functions, as they are not necessary.

As for listening port, your default port is often blocked or restricted, so I suggest you pick any port from 50000-60000.

I would also consider getting a better firewall. In my opinion, Sygate is among the most secure, but if you want a good and easy one, try McAfee.

After going through the settings guide, give careful attention to setting your max upload speed. The more you upload, the more download, but if you go much above 80% of your max, it will bog down your system and your speeds will be lower.

Suspect

so this will let you know what a Dickhead you are working with, I took your advice and read as requested, changed all the settings back , now Im down to 7b instead of the 20+ I had before and I did not keep a record of what my settings were before, There is not a lot of info as to listening ports info. At present Im downing loading a 1.9G file and have been at it for 4 days I would like to finish it before my 68 birthday thanks for your reply and if you have any other help I would appreciate it. Rod W

Don't assume its your fault your speeds are slow just yet, as you can only download as fast as your connected peers can send the data to you.

Finding the best settings will take some a bit of work.

You should also be running only ONE torrent, as its infinately easier to adjust to one torrents then many.

Here is a link to a torrent you can try (seeded by high speed servers)

http://newvoyages.mine.nu:1701/torrent.htm...1860b038cc045b5

This is a DVD I made for star trek new voyages. You don't have to download it, just try it for ten minutes and delete if you don't want it.

If your bandwidth allows, you should see speeds greater then 100kB/s

Suspect

Heres a problem I'm having!! LAST week I was U/L 200KB,& D/L 150 to 300kb.The average file 700MBs I'd get it the same day,any TV show 1/2hr to1hr I'd get in a few hrs.Now all of a sudden U/L are barely 20KBs & D/L ONLY 2 or 3KB.I have changed absolutely nothing,AVG did a scan of my computer,& I think it might have taken something off that is needed by bitcomet,I did re-instal,but no help,virus scans ,goback etc...I know this is vauge but its all I got.Was hoping someone else had this problem & could give me some more alternatives too try

Heres a problem I'm having!! LAST week I was U/L 200KB,& D/L 150 to 300kb.The average file 700MBs I'd get it the same day,any TV show 1/2hr to1hr I'd get in a few hrs.Now all of a sudden U/L are barely 20KBs & D/L ONLY 2 or 3KB.I have changed absolutely nothing,AVG did a scan of my computer,& I think it might have taken something off that is needed by bitcomet,I did re-instal,but no help,virus scans ,goback etc...I know this is vauge but its all I got.Was hoping someone else had this problem & could give me some more alternatives too try

Please start a new topic regarding your problem.

Although you may believe you have the same problem as another member, we cannot make that assumption. Please also post details about your o/s, routers, firewall, and how your ports are configured.

Suspect

Golly its good to have people out there happy to help those of us less computer literate, well I am downloading your program and it is coming down at 54kB/s on its own, when I turn on mine at the same time yours drops to 41-45kB/s mine is coming down at 2-4kB/s under the heading seed/peer(all) on mine 7/20(7/27) and on yours 23/33(23/56) does that shed any light on the subject???

thanks again

Rod W

I have just been in touch with Optusnet (my provider) for a speed test just in case the connection was faulty but on runninr their download speed test it comes in at 48-54 KB/ps, would the modem which is a D-Link 302 G have a problem on reading the help sheets it does mention the 302G as having a problem but no info as to fix it.

54kB/s or 54 Bytes per second is equal to 432b/s or bits per second.

If this is the highest any of your torrents will go, then it would appear that you might have 512kb/s download speed.

The fact that my torrent slows when you start another could be due to your upload rate slowing when divided between two torrents, but its more likely that your download is limited.

If you are paying or a faster then 512kb/s, then it could be they are slowing bit torrent traffic. In the past, this could be stopped somewhat by using protocall encryption, but newer methods of detecting b.t. traffic are being used.

I'm certain these new methods will be defeated in time.

Suspect