To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Winamp files will not burn

Hi

I have downloaded Torrents\Santana - Ultimate Collection cd 1.torrent.

The info shows 100% downloaded. When I open BitComet directory the files display as Winamp media files. I am unable to burn these files using Nero or Media Player as I normally would.

Media Player tells me that one or more codecs could not be found. Nero just indicates invalid file type.

Can you please let me know what I need to download to burn this compilation?

Thanks in advance

RB

we need to know what file type you have downloaded. If they only indicate as winamp files, then it sounds like you need to enable viewing of file extensions.

Open the folder that has the files, then click on "tools", then "folder options"

Now click on the "view" tab, and look for a box that says "hide file extentions for known file types" and untick it.

Now click on apply to all folders.

For some stupid reason microshit feels users don't need to know what kind of files are on their computer, so this will fix that problem.

now that you can view the full file names, please post the complete name of one or more of your files.

Suspect

It sounds like you have standard mp3 audio files. I've never seen an mp3 that needs special codecs to play, but if your still getting this message, then try installing CCCP codec pack.

http://cccp-project.net/

You might also consider updating your version of winamp.

If they still do not play, then my guess is the files are corrupt.

Regarding the burning issues, it depens on what you're trying to produce as output.

If you are trying to create a standard audio CD, then MP3 files must be converted first. They will, of course, expand in size greatly if you do this. IMSMR, some CD rippers will convert both ways. But most CD players need to be replaced with something that can play MP3's -- the audio CD format is hopelessly inefficient and outdated.

If you are trying to burn the files as-is, as MP3's, then Nero is being much too "helpful" here. Subvert it by demanding that it burn a data disk and ignore what the filetypes are. It doesn't need to know or care.

Hi

Thank you Kluelos I tried you suggestion to no avail.

I think The Suspect has the answer, the files are corrupted. They seem to have corrupted my Winamp also. I have had to remove it and reinstall to allow it to opereate.

Other than that my PC seems to have come out of it unscathed.

I will try a different torrent.

Cheers and thanks again

RB

perhaps you should consider a private torrent site, like torrentmatrix, which screens bad torrents, or a semi private site like demoniod, which very rarely has any bad torrents, and quickly removes them if discovered.

Public sites are handy too, but just use care, and scan everything.

Suspect

Hi Suspect

I have taken your advice and enrolled with torrentmatrix. I have tried a couple of times to sign up with Demonoid but they always seem to have 'maintenance' over the weekend, which is the only time you can enrol. Of course I am using TUSkvcd for movies most of the time anyway.

Thanks again for your help.

RB