To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Converting AVI (DivX) to another format?

Speed

I downloaded a movie file and its an .avi format (DivX). and i was wondering how to convert it to like, a DVD file or a normal .avi file or anything. And don't tell me to use Nero, because i don't have it. i just have Roxio 7, or could you just recommend a good, free program to do this?

I'm not at all clear on what you'd consider a "normal" .avi file if DivX is abnormal. What exactly are you trying to do with it? Most would consider DivX to be extremely mainstream and normal.

Converting it to video DVD is certainly possible, but it's also a giant step backwards. The VDVD standard is very old and very inefficient, so your file size will grow enormously while the quality will be a little worse.

Free converters abound, but they expect you to know what you're doing. I usually use one called Super, from ERightsoft, which will handle almost anything but is not for the timid.

And don't tell me to use Nero, because i don't have it. i just have Roxio 7,

Roxio will not do video encoding.

Why don't you want to download Nero?

Nerovision is perhaps the easiest way to transcode video to dvd, and works very well assuming you have a good clean video to start with.

Suspect

ps. nero ultra/premium version 7.5.1.1 is the version to get

Roxio will not do video encoding.

Why don't you want to download Nero?

Nerovision is perhaps the easiest way to transcode video to dvd, and works very well assuming you have a good clean video to start with.

Suspect

ps. nero ultra/premium version 7.5.1.1 is the version to get

because i don't want to buy Nero ATM.

well, i don't know, .avi is supposedly supposed to play in WMP, or Quicktime. but it says its missing a codec, so i downloaded the DivX codec, but i still couldnt play it.

Although I always recommend buying programs you like and enjoy, but there is no shortage in nero torrents on the net.

As for your codec issue, download one of the following. Both include Media Player Classic, which is very good, so install it with the codecs

CCCP (best for playing of files)

http://cccp-project.net/

k lite codecs (best for playing, editing and encoding)

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm

if you select the k lite pack, don't just install all the options, or you will surely have problems (default settings work fine for nearly every user)

this site...

http://www.free-codecs.com

also has a couple other good options you would prob like, Quicktime alternative, and Real Alternative.

These will enable you to play quicktime and real player files in web pages without the burden on system resources that quicktime and real player cause.

Please also note, K lite is one of the best packs out there (in my opinion), but not for the novice, so I would get the CCCP pack

DO NOT install both

Suspect

• 2 weeks later...