To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

BitComet 0.68 -- Puzzling behavior

Hello, from a bitTorrent newby, 8-)

System details:

Win98SE, P3 500MHz, 512Mbytes RAM, Dialup ISP that cuts off user after 1.5 hours connect time. BitComet version 0.68, resuming a partially-downloaded torrent.

A couple of minutes after my ISP cuts me off, BitComet 0.68 appears to trigger *dozens* of the 'Dial up' dialog, (usually 32+ open within a single second) when it tries to check in with tracker.

Since your on dialup you should only be running 1 torrent at a time.

Also you probably want to uncheck the DHT Network in Preferences -> Advanced / Connection

you need to restart Bitcomet after changing this.

Since your on dialup you should only be running 1 torrent at a time.

Also you probably want to uncheck the DHT Network in Preferences -> Advanced / Connection

you need to restart Bitcomet after changing this.

Only one torrent is in process (Currently 40% into 782Mbyte with upload speed throttled to 2K so the modem is not wasting time switching the 46Kbit/Sec direction), DHT has so far been left at the installation default.

The part I find puzzling is the *many* dialup dialog popup boxes -- I feel there should only be a single one, not *dozens*. When these excess popups get cancelled, the result is that BitComet wants to send home a dump.

To work-around this problem, I have to be present to 'stop' the client before the ISP cuts the connection.

8-(

One thing I can say that might help is to contact your internet provider and see whats up. What does the dialog box say when it pops up. Is it an ad, or a popup telling you that your internets out?

What I am refering to is the Microsoft-Provided 'Dial up Networking' dialog that allows you to select which ISP to dailup. (This system is set to *not* automatically dial out)

Hm, if you have already disabled the "Automatic re-dial" the only other thing would be this:

Open your Internet Connection. [The icon with 2 computers]

Click Properties --> Advanced -->Unclick "Allow network users to connect through this computer's internet connection"

This popping up of re-dial boxes only occur when your dial-up disconnects right?

Hm, if you have already disabled the "Automatic re-dial" the only other thing would be this:

Open your Internet Connection. [The icon with 2 computers]

Click Properties --> Advanced -->Unclick "Allow network users to connect through this computer's internet connection"

This popping up of re-dial boxes only occur when your dial-up disconnects right?

I believe you are referring to the 'share my Internet connection' module of Windows -- a module not installed on this single computer system. There is no icon on my system matching your description, so I am guessing at the module from the context of the 'allow network...' setting.

To your second point, yes, the dialup boxes appear to be triggered when BitComet tries to check in with one of the two trackers for this torrent (whichever is first to time out) and finds the internet connection has been lost. Having DHT turned off, as suggested by a previous post, does not appear help this.

BitComet and AVG (free version) are the only user-level running internet-aware processes showing in the 'task manager' (Some other 'internal' processes of Windows in that list might also be internet-aware), AVG is not scheduled for an update when these multiple popups occur.

I believe you are referring to the 'share my Internet connection' module of Windows -- a module not installed on this single computer system. There is no icon on my system matching your description, so I am guessing at the module from the context of the 'allow network...' setting.

To your second point, yes, the dialup boxes appear to be triggered when BitComet tries to check in with one of the two trackers for this torrent (whichever is first to time out) and finds the internet connection has been lost. Having DHT turned off, as suggested by a previous post, does not appear help this.

BitComet and AVG (free version) are the only user-level running internet-aware processes showing in the 'task manager' (Some other 'internal' processes of Windows in that list might also be internet-aware), AVG is not scheduled for an update when these multiple popups occur.

it's not unusual that dial up connections are disconected after a certain time, ususually 2hrs. you would have to check this out -aslo--

i believe,but am not sure, because its so long since i used dial up, but in the settings for your dial up connection you can choose an option to auto re-connect if the line is droped