To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

What is Bitcoment 0.70 downloading in the backgroud?

incypher

I've noticed that when I initially install BitComet 0.70, I see it's downloading and uploading some datas which I presume to be Bitcomet updating ipfilter and updating dht networks etc. What I find curious or rather disturbing is I still see bitcomet d/ling something even after I have ipfilter dat, dht network, use NAT via UDP etc all disabled(one can check this buy looking at "Total Download" in Statistics). And no I don't have any torrents d/ling. I would like to know what sort of files bitcomet is d/ling in the background. I've d/led BC 0.70 installer and zip version from bitcomet's website.

I believe the only data that should be transferring would be info about torrents listed in your client, like the amount of seeds and peers, but this should stop a couple minutes after you start bit comet.

Also not that you must shut down and restart bit comet when you disable dht, and possibly other functions as well.

Suspect

Hello Suspect,

I did restart the client after disabling dht and other options. Once restarted uploading does stop but bitcomet seems to keep d/ling something eventhough I am not d/ling any files. I can see total downloaded stat increasing little by little, few kbs at a time. I've expereinced this on both installer and zipped versions. The previous version I was using, 0.59, didn't exhibit such behavior.

If you want, you can remove all tasks, and see if there is still any incoming data.

If not, then you can assume its just info regarding the tasks in your client.

Our developers are quite busy at the moment, working on the new client, but I will mention this in an approiate time.

If the client continues to download even with no tasks (active or inactive), then can you send specific data, such as screenshots of how you are measuring this?

Suspect

Do you have the check for updates option checked?

Also I think when you first start Bitcomet it checks for updates for the little "Top Torrent Sites" ad

it shouldnt continue to download stuff though, once these things have downloaded it should stop

mine stopped at about 13KB

the only reason it should continue to download stuff is if the dht network is enabled or your tasks are starting automatically

If you want, you can remove all tasks, and see if there is still any incoming data.

If the client continues to download even with no tasks (active or inactive), then can you send specific data, such as screenshots of how you are measuring this?

Suspect

That's the problem. I've noticed this going on with a freshly installed client. That's why it caught my attention as I had not added any tasks yet the client is apparently keep on d/ling something even after disabling dht and other options that might cause the client to transfer data. I was measuring this by looking at Total Downloaded statistic which one can see by clicking on statisics.

Hello bitdave,

Yes, I did disable check for updates.

If you use Peer Guardian, you can set it to display all connections, inbound and outbound. You could then see exactly where any incoming data is from.

I'm starting to suspect you might have some virus/spyware/malware/adware activity going on.

I suggest you run full scans with upto date A/V, as well as several Anti spyware programs, like Spybot, Ad Aware, xoft antispy, hijack this, are all good ones.

Suspect

Here are some screen shots(img deleted):

This first picture is a screenshot of the client as soon as I ran it for the first time. Notice it is transfering data. But at this time I've yet to disable dht, check for updates and other options.

This 2nd picture is a screenshot after I disabled dht, update options and restarted the client.

I took this one after letting the client run for about a min as the time indicates on the bottom right corner of the screen shot.

This one I took after restarting the client again.

And after letting the client run for a min again. Notice how the total downloaded increased despite restarting the client twice after disabling all dht, check for update, etc.

showing preference panel.

Suspect:

I've checked my router logs and I don't see any unsual or malicious inbound/outbound connections since I ran bitcomet 0.70 nor have my av scanner and ad-aware picked up any sypwares/viruses. But as I've stated in my previous post, prior version of bitcomet I was using, 0.57(wasn't 0.59), doesn't exhibit this problem. I've also tried another bittorent client(uTorrent) after uninstalling version BC 0.70 and uTorrent client also doesn't exhibit any of the symptoms that i see with 0.70. So I'm sure this has nothing to do with my system being infested virsus/spyware/malware, etc.

Could you please do as Suspect suggested and install PeerGuardian 2

with peerguardian you can see all connections made

it appears that Bitcomet is making 3 HTTP connections and peerguardian will show where these connections are going to

I doubt any of these connections are malicious

Does it continue to download stuff or does it eventually stop after about 350KB?

PS: In your settings change the Max Half-Open TCP connections to 8, also go ahead and turn the encryption back to Auto-Detect (wont fix your problem but you should do it anyway)

Could you please do as Suspect suggested and install PeerGuardian 2

with peerguardian you can see all connections made

it appears that Bitcomet is making 3 HTTP connections and peerguardian will show where these connections are going to

I doubt any of these connections are malicious

Does it continue to download stuff or does it eventually stop after about 350KB?

PS: In your settings change the Max Half-Open TCP connections to 8, also go ahead and turn the encryption back to Auto-Detect (wont fix your problem but you should do it anyway)

Hello Bitdave,

Thanks for taking time to resolve this issue.

Is installation of PG2 necessary to see all connection made? Wouldn't using netstat command sufficient enough to see either active or all connections made?

Are there any other things I should either look for or try it out? Because I have to reinstall bc 0.70 again and don't want to go through this testing phase again. I usually delete other bittorrent applications before testing things out. And since I am currently using utorrent to get my torrent fix that means uninstalling utorrent and installing bitcomet again. If I can be assured that this test will be last one I'll have to do to prove that something is amiss with version 0.70(again I can't emphasize enough that this doesn't happen with versioin 0.57) then I am more inclined to give this test another try.

Just wanted to point out that I don't see download activity happening. I do see a reported number creeping up, but no other activity to justify that or to indicate that it's "real". So I'm wondering if you don't perhaps have an artifact, such as a log being written that BC is including the amount downloaded when it really wasn't.

Proposed test: disconnect from your modem. Restart BC several times and see if you continue to see the creep.

I can't say that I've ever noticed this myself, but I also haven't ever really looked.

Is installation of PG2 necessary to see all connection made? Wouldn't using netstat command sufficient enough to see either active or all connections made?
It isnt absolutely necessary, but it is recommended just for that fact that it keeps many antip2p companies from connecting to you. Netstat would work if you used it when the connection was active, if its already closed by the time you hit enter you wont see it. On the other hand, with peerguardian the connection would be logged so you could see it after the fact.

Also, I myself have both uTorrent and Bitcomet installed. There is no reason you cant have both. In fact, if you set them to use the same port then you dont have to worry about portforwarding twice. Of course you shouldnt be using them both at the same time. So go ahead and reinstall Bitcomet and just uncheck the option that makes it the default client.

As requested, here are screentshots of PG2 and bitcomet running.

This first screenshot is PG2 log soon after I lanunched bitcomet 0.70. I've blacked out ips that aren't relevent to bitcomet connections and my lan ip is partially blacked out(last digit and port number).

As for the other ips that I haven't blacked out, I presume they're peers trying to connect to my ip to get whatever torrent files I had before I deleted them.

The red circled connection is what bitcomet 0.70 initiates at lanuch. Another user has brought this issue up here: http://forums.bitcomet.com/index.php?showt...entry7378

Before anyone asks, I downloaded both zipped and installer verion of bitcomet 0.70 directly from bitcomet's website: http://www.bitcomet.com/doc/download-achive.htm

(lastest stable offical release listed on the "Download BitComet" page links directly to the exe file in the "download-achive" page.)

Connection to 211.95.79.52 is made only when I start up bitcomet. And yes, dht, check up update, etc options are all disabled. Now that doesn't necessarily mean bitcomet is downloading anything from that site, as it's only outgoing connection, but it does make me wonder what else Bitcomet is doing that I'm not aware of.

pg021qx5.jpg

This one is taken after restarting PG2 and bitcomet 0.70. Again you'll see bitcomet trying to contact 211.95.79.52, this time twice.

pg031br2.jpg

And kluelos, when I disable my interent connection, bitcomet 0.70's Total Downloaded stat does not increase.

After analyzing the pg2 log, it's a possibility that bitcoment 0.70 registers incoming connections from other peers as downloaded file thus incrementally increasing total downloaded statistic but as I've noted in my previous post, this does not happen with version 0.59.

In light of what I've discovered, I am going have to uninstall bitcomet from my system until these issues have been rectified.

Wow that is very strange. Mine (v0.70 and v0.75) does not do this.

Where did you see this 500mb wasted? Are you positive it's coming from Bitcomet. If so, how do you know?

Scorpion, you should also get peerguardian and see where all these connection are being made to.

I did a lookup on that address incypher posted and it appears to be from China which is where Bitcomet is made.

inetnum:	  211.90.0.0 - 211.97.255.255
netname:	  UNICOM
descr:		China United Telecommunications Corporation
descr:		No.133,Taiyun Building,Xidan North Street
descr:		Xicheng District,Beijing,China
admin-c:	  UCH1-AP
tech-c:	   UCH1-AP
mnt-by:	   APNIC-HM
mnt-lower:	MAINT-CN-CNNIC-UNICOM
changed:	  hm-changed@apnic.net 20041203
source:	   APNIC

role:		 Unicom China Hostmaster
address:	  911 Room,Xin Tong Center,No.8 Beijing Railway Station
address:	  East Avenue, Beijing,PRC.
phone:		+86-10-6527-8866
fax-no:	   +86-10-6526-0124
e-mail:	   ip_address@cnuninet.com
admin-c:	  RX9-AP
tech-c:	   RX9-AP
nic-hdl:	  UCH1-AP
notify:	   ip_address@cnuninet.com
mnt-by:	   MAINT-CN-CNNIC-UNICOM
changed:	  hostmaster@apnic.net 20010820
source:	   APNIC

I use Netlimiter 2.09 pro and DU meter to monitor my traffic for applications, etc.

When I closed down bitcomet the traffic stopped.

I run Kaspersky Pro anti-virus and spybot and ad-aware. All pick up nothing.

My traffic is 0 if i sit there, with bitcomet running though and no downloads, it is pulling 50kbs.

*EDIT* I will start it up and take some screenies in a minute.

Scorpion, is the DHT Network enabled in your client?

Please post those screenshots, cause this is wierd

I have never had this problem. Bitcomet should only make a connection or two at startup to check for updates and to update the cache for that little ad(paypal, top torrent sites, etc).

also Netlimiter has been known to cause problems for torrent clients

Why do you need it? Can you uninstall it for now?