To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

ISP throttling p2p traffic

silverl

What can I do if the only ISP in the country is throttling p2p traffic.

I use get about 100+ KB/s downloading. Now 0 - 5 KB/s downloading. Peers a lot but cannot

connect to them.

This does not happen to me alone but to many users and the ISP admit they are temporary

throttling p2p traffic due to broadband users have a tendency to abuse bandwidth.

Therefore, they have some kind of rate limit control on that link. The main objective of putting the

rate limit control on some of their links is to reduce the severity of congestion so that the quality

of service can still be maintained for all subscribers.

The reason is they do not have enough bandwidth.

I do have slow down/up load rates and seeing what you state i might have a similar problem(Since my country only have one ISP and i KNEW long ago they do not have enough bandwidth and almost don't improve it). I hope someone can show a list of countries/area/ISP like this, or how should i check it?

Look under the Options tab for Preferences/Advanced/connection/Protocol Encription (Avoid ISP block BT Protocol): and set it to always. That usually does the trick if your ISP is throttling your connection.

Do not seem to work. No improvement at all.

here is the history of throttling.

Some time ago, some ISPs began throttling BT traffic, so bit comet introduced protocall encryption to make it harder to determine what is BT, and what is not.

Starting a few weeks ago, some company basically cracked the encryption, and is now selling encrypted BT protocall detection software.

Hopefully a new encryption method will be introduced, that will again let users bypass these blocks.

However, the best way to stop it is to switch your ISP.

I would also send letters of complaint to them, and post notices in as many places as you can think of for their customers to read.

You might even want to make "picket" signs and march back and forth infront of their offices complaining about this.

I know I would be really pissed if my ISP sold me "x" amount of bandwidth, the disable my connection so I got much less.

Suspect

However, the best way to stop it is to switch your ISP.

I would also send letters of complaint to them, and post notices in as many places as you can think of for their customers to read.

Switching ISP ------- Not possible. Only one ISP in the country.

Complain to them -- Many complains being sent to them but not effect.

Is there really no way round the problem if the ISP is throttling p2p traffic? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

If there is no solution then I think the ISP especially in the developing country will throttle p2p traffic to save money and have more profit.