To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

BitComet Locking up my internet connection

morgs

So, after fixing my previous hopefully unrelated problem, I unfortunately have encoutered another one. It has, in fact been a problem for about 2 weeks now.

For some reason when ever any torrent application is opened, whether it be Bitcomet, uTorrent Azereus etc, my internet connection will be fine for about 20ish minutes and then my web pages will comepletely timeout and wont be able to connect, but the torrent clients and apps such as WLM will be unaffected. This happens whether the dl/ul speed is high or low.

Here is a bit of a summary of what Hardware I'm running and what I've tried:

Windows XP

Linksys WRT54GL running both Linksys Firmware and DD-WRT v23 sp2 final

-It doesnt matter whether I'm connected wirelessly or via ethernet cable to the router, Every computer connected to the network experiences the same problems

Multiple MTU Size's 1472 seems to be the optimal setting though

QoS in the router turned on and off

I'f I've missed anything please advise. thanks in advance.

Sorry, forgot to mention that. Yes I have tried that and no there was absolutely no problem. I suppose this is tells us a couple of things:

1. Its not my internet connection -Yay!

2. It is happening somewhere between my computer and router.

Since posting I have changed several settings in DD-WRT.

Under IP Filter Settings (adjust these for P2P):

I have maxed out Maximum ports to 4096 from 512 and I have changed the TCP/UDP Timeout to 300 seconds and it seems to be holding pretty well so far, well for about 30 minutes anyway.

During my research I found that, if I can remember correctly, there is a problem with the WRT54GL and keeping open old TCP/UDP connections open for a long time.

I shall post back if this seems to fix the problem!

After doing (a lot) more reading I've found out that my router model WRT54GL specifically, but the Linksys WRT54 product line in general have a problem with keeping alive ip addresses and TCP/UDP connections for sometimes days after they are used. Doing what I've done seems to have been a pretty good work around, unfortunately I think, that that is all this is. Eventually I'm thinking that the router will get bogged down and will have to be reset, but who knows how long that will take.

Anyways, it's working right now! Thanks very much for your help!

After doing (a lot) more reading I've found out that my router model WRT54GL specifically, but the Linksys WRT54 product line in general have a problem with keeping alive ip addresses and TCP/UDP connections for

That problem is solved by the use of 3rd party firmware such as DD-WRT, HYPER-WRT, TOTMATO and others. DD-WRT advices the setting: Maximum Ports 4096 and time out TCP-UDP 90 or 120. That worked very well for me.

What important can be and what you didn't mention in your OP was how your modem is connected to your WRT54. I had DD-WRT but am now on HYPER-WRT. Not because of bittorrent reasons BTW. In both situations I experienced better bittorrent connections in BRIDGE-mode. Experts (not me) write about NAT problems if you don't do so.

Good luck.

Petch01