To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Playing the torrents

TNM

Hi. Sorry if this seems like a pretty dumb question, but I downloaded BitComet recently, and whenever my torrents finished downloading and I chose to play them, my "Windows Media Player" would open up automatically. This is a problem because for some reason, it only shows the audio and no picture, and I don't know what the reason for this is. Is W.M.P. not capable of playing bit torrent files? Something else?

Thanks,

TNM

Hi,

I cannot fully answer your question as you didn't specify what files you downloaded.

ANY file type can be downloaded with bit torrent protocall, so we have no idea what file types you have downloaded.

As for playing video files, the two best programs I use are both free...

VLC player (videolan.org)

and Media Player classic, which comes with the (k lite codec pack)

I also suggest you update your codecs, as this could be your problem.

You can download the k lite codec pack here...

http://www.free-codecs.com/K_Lite_Codec_Pack_download.htm

When you install this, use the default settings unless you are sure about any options, and be sure to select to install Media Player Classic.

Suspect

I'm downloading bit torrents from this site:

http://davka.dmkproject.net/bt/index.php?show_all=1

The file I'm currently trying to download is "Minnesota Timberwolves vs New York Knicks".

First of all, when I clicked the link, a small windo from Bit Comet came up that was labeled "Task Properties". I wasn't sure if I should do anything to it or not, so I just clicked OK, and immediately afterwards, an icon came up that said "Cannot access folder". I don't know what this indicates, but as of right now, the progress of the download is still at 0%, and in the "Name" category, the file says:

[01.17][NBA???][???VS???][??] [????]

And thanks for the codec site. I haven't downloaded one yet, since I want to finish this current download(if it finishes) then see what happens. Do you know if Windows Media Player is capable of playing bit torrents or not? And if I do opt to use the codec, which of the versions do you recommend for me on the link you provided?

Hi,

the "vlc player" is a media player, not codecs.

the k lite codec pack is very good, and includes media player classic

as for that torrent, if it is a basketball game from january 17th, judging from what you have posted, then it is likely that the torrent is no longer active.

The fact that its showing 0% complete would confirm this.

I suggest testing your client with a known good torrent, so you are aware of the functions and understand how the bit torrent protocall works.

If you need a good torrent to test with, try here...

http://newvoyages.blogsite.org

I mention this site, run by a friend of mine, because they are all completely legal, and seeded by a high speed server, so you are sure to get good speeds.

I assume you know how to find the completed files when the torrent has reached 100%, if not, then please ask.

Suspect

Well, the torrent you just recommened for testing worked on the Windows Media Player, and that's w/o the codec being installed yet. I'm currently downloading a basketball game(from 6/18--much later version) to see if I get similar results. It's already progressing, with 5.8% of it completed so far.

Meanwhile, here's some advice I got from someone else on codecs, tell me what you think:

If you have the finished download still in bitcomet, you can just right click on it and select the download properties and it should tell you exactly what the filename is and from there you need the proper codec. If it's an AVI you need a DIVX or DVID codec. If it's .RMV you need to be playing it in Realplayer, which is a pain in the a**.

What I recommend is googling a program called Zoom Player. It's been able to play all video files except for .mov(Apple video files) and .rmv(Realplayer video files)

When I clicked properties after right-clicking the download, a window that was labled "Task Properties" came up. It has 4 tabs-->General, Advanced, Torrent Information, & Task Link. I looked in the General Tab, and I couldn't find AVI or .RMV posted anywhere. What I did see for the Star Trek torrent I took off your friend's site next to the word Name(right above "Publisher") said Center_seat.wmv, and for the basketball torrent, I saw NBA Finals Game 5 Heat Vs Mavericks. TVRiP.XVID

I'm worried that I might be looking in the wrong place. I'm also not sure if .wmv or .XVID has any relation to what type of codec I might need.

Secondly, is the DIVX or DVID codec seperate from the K lite codec you're recommending for me in the link above?

the k lite codec pack has almost any codec you could possibly need in it.

I suggest you use the default settings on which codecs to install, meaning don't check away all the codecs thinking more is better... :)

It also has "media player classic" which will play most any video file type you can find.

and yes, it has the codecs you mentioned... :)

as for "realplayer", there is a program called "realalternative", which is much better then realplayer, I recommend that also.

another good player, as I have mentioned is "vlc" player, and is also a free download from videolan.org

your basketball game should play fine in media player classic or vlc player.

Suspect

Quick update:

I downloaded and installed VLC into my CPU, but for some reason, whenever I click to open it, I get an icon that reads:

Error while loading DLL 'unicows.dll"!

The application will terminate now.

What should I do?

I will have to refer you to videolan.org for support regarding their product.

although you might want to redownload the setup file, and install again, after uninstalling.

It is possible the download was corrupted.

I have not heard of anyone having this problem with vlc.

Suspect

Well, I've gotten 2 videos playing with audio & picture on my Windows Media Player. Must be the K-lite codec(thanks). I'm still having a little trouble with a couple files that keeps telling me "Can't access folder"(must be an inactive torrent like you suggested earlier), but other than that, I'm doing pretty fine for now.

Thanks again for helping me through this. I really appreciate it.

• 5 years later...

Today , I specifically registered on the forum to participate in the discussion of this issue.

William, I'm curious if you noticed that this discussion is six years old?

I think there is no benefit in keeping this topic open, if you want to discuss this subject, lets make a new topic.