To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Bitcomet used all my DSL connection -IE not working-

I am new Bitcomet user.... Please help!

I have the newest Bitcomet application V.070 and I am using the high speed Dsl.

When I am downloading any files that require over 5 days of download straight, my bitcomet is still downloading files. However, bitcomet is the only application that had the internet access and nothing else. IE, Firefox and nestcapes does NOT work at all - It keeps saying "Page Not Found."- And the only solution I had is, resetting my modem and unplug the power for 30 seconds!

Do you guys know anything to fix this problem? It is very pain in the a** to reset the modem everytime using my bitcomet! Is there any filter I can use? PLEASE HELP! THANK YOU!

To quote myself:

This may be related to your upload speed setting. Most home broadband connections are asymmetrical, with downstream speed a lot faster than upstream. But the upstream part is important. Not only are you sharing pieces outbound, but every piece you recieve must be acknowledged or it's assumed the packet was lost, and needs to be re-sent. Then there's other internet use. So it's quite possible for all that traffic to jam your upstream connection.

You need to limit your global maximum upload speed in BitComet, to about 80% of your actual, measured upstream rate. Don't guess and don't assume it's the same as your download speed -- it isn't. Find a web site that will tell you your actual speed both up and down. Pick a site that's reasonably nearby: if you live in London, don't choose one based in Taiwan or San Francisco. Shut down everything else that might use bandwidth before you do your test. Do a screen copy of the results. Do a screen copy. Do a screen copy.

Now convert, taking due care with unit conversions, the actual upstream rate to BitComet's standard of KB/s, and set your global maximum upload speed to 80% of that. This will keep BitComet's uploads from drowning out the acknowledgements, and give you enough headroom to perform other tasks at the same time.

Hey Kluelos,

Thanks for joining up on this forum, your advice is greatly appreciated!

Btw, as for kleuelos' first paragraph, if you're looking for a speed test, read below: [This is part of the upcoming speed guide we're building, but below is an excerpt].

First and foremost, before we start jumping into the configuration of maximising your download speed, we'll need to check your MAX Download/Upload speed (commonly referred to as your Bandwidth). Head here:

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?more=1

1. Locate one of the sites on that page which is in correspondance closest to your location on Earth.

2. Follow their instructions to test your speed, and be sure that your Internet Connection is IDLE during that test, i.e. no internet activity, except for the use of that test, otherwise it will be inaccurate. Also, this test should be done only on the PC you wish to run BitComet on.

3. The test should come out in units kB/s if not, calculate and convert the units of your Bandwidth back into kb/s.

FAQ1 Here's how you convert between kB/s (kilobytes per second) & kb/s (kilobits per second): -

1 kb/s is equivalent roughly to 8 kB/s so in other words:
x kb/s = 8x kB/s

E.g. If I obtained a Download speed of 800 kb/s and Upload speed of 512 kb/s. Your Download speed would be: 100 kB/s and your Upload speed would be: 64 kB/s. 

NOTE: As this is a approximate calculation, we need a really close speed indication, so be sure to deduct about 4 kB/s from your calculated speed values. 

So, following on from my example: My real (really close) Download speed would be 96 kB/s and Upload speed would be: 60 kB/s. 

FAQ2 An immediate question raised by users would be: Well yes I do get that maximum download/upload speed via HTTP downloads/uploads, how come this isn't the same for torrent downloads? Well, this is simply because the download speeds you get are fullly dependant upon the upload speeds given by seeders/peers in your torrent download (this is especially the case for Public trackers.

Perhaps the most important setting with all P2P applications is to set your Upload speed to exactly 75%-80% of your maximum Upload speed (this was attained in your speed test - see above).

3. The test should come out in units kB/s if not, calculate and convert the units of your Bandwidth back into kb/s.

1 kb/s is equivalent roughly to 8 kB/s so in other words:
x kb/s = 8x kB/s

These three statements are backwards.

8x kb/s = x kB/s

Everything else looks good Soraiya.

BitDave's right, but let's clarify it all.

We have two different units here: bits, and bytes.

A bit is a BIinary digiT (Cute, huh?) In representational terms, it's either a one or a zero, since it's binary and can therefore have only two states. In electrical terms it's either a higher voltage or a lower one. In some systems it's either on or off.

A byte is eight bits. Why? Historical reasons, closely related to telegraphy. And it really doesn't matter. Eight was the minimum necessary, and was reasonably convenient, and it's far, far too late to change things now. It's what's used. Deal.

When it comes to bandwidth, what we're talking about is transmitting information over a specific time, arbitrarily, the second. So many bits per second, or bytes per second. You use the one that's most meaningful for whatever you happen to be doing with the information. These days, for most systems, bits aren't terribly useful, while bytes are.

Being careful about the limitations of analogies, you can think of a bit as a letter, and a byte as a word. Now forget it, that's a terrible analogy. So think of morse code. Dots and dashes used to indicate letters. It's the letters that are useful. Now forget that analogy too. A single dot is the letter "E" and a single dash is the letter "T". Funnily enough, those are the two most commonly-used letters in English.

Today's tech moves very fast, so now we speak of kilobits and kilobytes, to deal with actual quantities. That is, "thousand-ish" quantities of each. Not exactly 1000 but close, and we won't go there now.

If you're a marketer, though, you love the kilobits, because they make things sound so much larger. That's how they'll sell you your home broadband connection - "it's a million bits per second!!1!". Which it is, yes, but it's more useful to express it as 125 kilobytes per second since bytes are the useful quantum for computers. Doesn't sound as impressive, though.

Sadly, we don't widely use greek letters for this stuff anymore, so we abbreviate bits as "b" and bytes as "B", to the everlasting confusion of the lay public. If you don't know that b/s is way different from B/s, you may believe it's all bs (sorry) and doesn't matter.

But you also won't particularly notice, and won't be really careful about whether it's b or B. You have to be careful when you're calculating with them or communicating about them though. So case matters. It matters a lot.

----------------------

And one point that I didn't emphasize enough: all this talk about upstream speed is because it will directly and dramatically affect your downstream speed.