To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Stinky UPload speed

Hiro

Hey guys,

Just wanted to drop you a note and ask what you think is wrong with my DSL connection/bitcomet client/router.

I get really great downlod speeds at >1000kB/s but my client wont seed in more than ~8kB/s in total. This really sux since the torrentsite I run uses leech/seed ratio!

I should at least be able to upload at 100kB/s on my 24/1 BBB connection. Tried with my neighbours Glocalnet 8/1 connection with same result. Might be router as well since rest of my internet connection gets really clogged up when using torrentprogs.

Any ideas?

//Hiro

Hi there.

• Make sure that either you are 100% accessible from outside or that you can't make yourself accessible no matter how much you try. There are FAQs for this.
  • Use upload limiters on needed torrent tasks.
  • Switch off / limit
    all your downloads / BitComet downloads
    for a while / until stopping seeding.
  • Use torrents with lots of leechers and few seeders.

While three first are self-explaining, 4th is a little tricky. The best way to get this is (IMHO) to:

- make your own .torrent (with appropriate file format: zip pictures, rar books, don't compress mp3/avi or disc images - the former are almost incompressible, the latter become unusable unless decompressed; on decompressing they become unneeded and are deleted)

- add informative and attractive description to it (e.g. add interesting links),

- add acceptable popular/specific (e.g. http://tpb.tracker.prq.to/announce and http://mangatracker.kicks-a**.net:6969/announce respectively) public trackers there - the more, the better,

- post it anywhere you can (use descriptive comments on sites if description on adding .torrent is limited)

...to interest as many people as possible. Next 24 hours are guarateed to be stress-test for your upload speed :)

BTW, I have almost the same connection than you are, and I don't know how much I can upload too - 670 kB/s was my yesterday's record :)

Well, if you going to use existing .torrent (as I did) taken from private tracker, make sure you don't break rules of their site. Also, external trackers won't give you change in U/D ratio. If you're posting .torrent on site with tracker, make sure you have their tracker first in list of yours - that will make their tracker think it's their local .torrent.

Nice idea to improve your ratio is to leave needed task running overnight. Or you may seed files from torrent you've downloaded from another tracker(-s) if they are to be found in some .torrent on your private tracker - this way you'll have nothing to download.

Well, the main idea was that you can upload no more than all the others can download...

Hi there.

• Make sure that either you are 100% accessible from outside or that you can't make yourself accessible no matter how much you try. There are FAQs for this.
  • Use upload limiters on needed torrent tasks.
  • Switch off / limit
    all your downloads / BitComet downloads
    for a while / until stopping seeding.
  • Use torrents with lots of leechers and few seeders.

While three first are self-explaining, 4th is a little tricky. The best way to get this is (IMHO) to:

- make your own .torrent (with appropriate file format: zip pictures, rar books, don't compress mp3/avi or disc images - the former are almost incompressible, the latter become unusable unless decompressed; on decompressing they become unneeded and are deleted)

- add informative and attractive description to it (e.g. add interesting links),

- add acceptable popular/specific (e.g. http://tpb.tracker.prq.to/announce and http://mangatracker.kicks-a**.net:6969/announce respectively) public trackers there - the more, the better,

- post it anywhere you can (use descriptive comments on sites if description on adding .torrent is limited)

...to interest as many people as possible. Next 24 hours are guarateed to be stress-test for your upload speed :)

BTW, I have almost the same connection than you are, and I don't know how much I can upload too - 670 kB/s was my yesterday's record :)

Well, if you going to use existing .torrent (as I did) taken from private tracker, make sure you don't break rules of their site. Also, external trackers won't give you change in U/D ratio. If you're posting .torrent on site with tracker, make sure you have their tracker first in list of yours - that will make their tracker think it's their local .torrent.

Nice idea to improve your ratio is to leave needed task running overnight. Or you may seed files from torrent you've downloaded from another tracker(-s) if they are to be found in some .torrent on your private tracker - this way you'll have nothing to download.

Well, the main idea was that you can upload no more than all the others can download...

Thanks man! I'll have a closer look at what you wrote tomorrow morning! I can't really come up with new torrents to seed on this site since most stuff is 0day. And I havn't got that kind of a account. Lots of leechers and seeders on most torrents...som there should be enough leechers ;)

You can block peers in some clients, or use a program like Peergaurdian, or Protowall with Block List Manager to keep known anti P2P and government addresses from connecting to you.

Although you can block indivitual peers, I would suspect that if you don't know how to do this, then your not going to understand reasons to do such.

If you are not an expirenced bit torrent user, I recommend you get peergaurdian 2

Its very easy to use, and google can find it for you.

Hopefully this will keep the "bad guys" from sending complaints to your isp if your downloading copyrighted material.

Suspect

• 2 weeks later...

Ty Const2K and suspect :)

By messing around a bit with the settings I was able to upload finished torrents.

Have some experience with PeerGuardian2 and I must say they are a bit too triggerhappy with their blocklist

I have one more question. I very much dislike that it says beginner under my name :( I was wondering how to change that. I can't find any option in the settings to do this so I must ask. Is this related to postcount or don't I have priviliges for changing it ?

Also picture ? It says:

No access permissions

Sorry, the board administrator has not enabled your permissions for this part of the control panel.

What's up with that ?

BTW Suspect. That must be close to the coolest signature I have ever seen B)

(edit: Sorry for jumping threads. It's 2 am here and I didn't notice, but what the hay :) )