To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Problem with downloading

Hi,

It's not possible to help you with the information you have provided.

For starters, what type of internet connection are you using, and what upload and download speeds does your isp provide?

Do you have a router? or is your internet connection shared with other computers?

Do all torrents run this slow?

What upload speed does this torrent show?

Suspect

Hi,

It's not possible to help you with the information you have provided.

For starters, what type of internet connection are you using, and what upload and download speeds does your isp provide?

Do you have a router? or is your internet connection shared with other computers?

Do all torrents run this slow?

What upload speed does this torrent show?

Suspect

1. I'm on a cable internet connection and my isp provides from 4.0 to 8.0 Mbps download speed (maximum upload speed from 384Kbps to 768Kbps respectively).

2. No I do not have a router and my internet connection is not shared with other computers

3. I don't know I have only tried this one torrent and have been downloading for weeks now and am not even at 70%

4. this torrent shows 22kb/s upload currently

Hi,

Thank you for this additional data.

It is possible that the torrent is not truely healthy.

Also, are you using default port setting? I would recommend a port between 40,000 to 60,000.

If you want a torrent to test if your system is working properly, I suggest you go here and download one of the small files listed at my friends site, as they are all seeded by high speed servers, so should give you excellant speed, and they are all completely legal.

http://newvoyages.blogsite.org

As for your upload speed, if you have not limited it, you should do so. However, you should be able to seed at about twice the speed you posted, so that seems low also.

Try capping the upload at 15kB/s and see if that effects your download speed.

Suspect

The most common cause for speeds that low is the lack of a working listening port. The best way to tell is to look at the PEERS tab, and see if you have any connection initiations listed as "REMOTE". If they're all either "LOCAL" or "NAT", then this is likely the problem.

First, in your preferences, select a listening port. Choose one between about 49000 and 65000. (Flip coin, roll dice, throw darts, whatever.) Enter that into the settings.

Next, you need to open that port on your firewall. If you have a software firewall (WinXP has one built in, and with SP2, it's active by default), make sure it either knows that BitComet is a permitted application, or manually open that port permanently. If you have a firmware firewall in a router, it gets a little more complicated.

Test the port to make sure it's open, at www.canyouseeme.org. Once you've got it set and open, you should get remote connections and your speed should pick up dramatically.