To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Speed levelling

I was previously running Windows XP Pro SP1 with BitComet 0.68, and it was working like a dream.

Possibly stupidly, I decided to do a complete reinstall with a brand spanking new Windows XP SP2, and got the latest version of BitComet.

I am on a 2Mbit connection with Homecall UK (runs through Tiscali), and previously, if I set BitComet to encrypt the BT protocol, I had no problem swith speed throttling (if I turned off encryption it would only run at 5Kb/s, so I know they were throttling it, but turning encryption on allowed me to max my downloads at around 256Kb/s)

After my reinstall, I've put everything back to the way it was, same max connections, global limits, port, etc... I have also installed the TCP-Half-open patch, and allowed 250 half-open connections (I set it to 100 originally, and it didn't give me errors in the system log, but I thought I'd try higher). I've also run TCP optimiser, the same as I did before.

Now, my downloads (whether its one or 5) max out globally at approx 70Kb/s - 1 torrent will run at 70Kb/s, but as soon as I start another one, they both stay at approx 35Kb/s each. My global maximum download is set to No Limit.

I have been through the settings and speed guides here, I have made sure I am using the latest drivers, I running through Zonelabs Security Suite v 6.0.667, although switching this off makes no differece, I am connectable, my ports can be seen, I'm really at a bit of a loss, because the speed test websites give me a full reading of 250Kb/s download, and I can get full speed downloads when downloading a large file through IE.

It seems as though the connection is there, but something on my computer is saying "no more than 70Kbs max" and I've run out of ideas. Anyone got anything I can try?

Any advice muchly appreciated.

Thanks

The two items that leap to mind are, first, uninstall ZA, just disabling it is not enough; and second, make sure your global max upload rate is set correctly, as this will strongly affect your download speed if it's too high. Many threads and FAQ's on doing this properly.

Oh and third, the three items that leap to mind, the third thing is fear, surprise,and a fanatical dedication...wait, no, the third thing is, test your listen port to make sure it's actually open, at www.canyouseeme.org

I was previously running Windows XP Pro SP1 with BitComet 0.68, and it was working like a dream.

Possibly stupidly, I decided to do a complete reinstall with a brand spanking new Windows XP SP2, and got the latest version of BitComet.

So, you've changed both your OS & BitComet versions... Try downgrading to BitComet 0.68 (take it here), "just in case".

Thanks for all your advice, it turns out that the problem is actually the Encrypt BT protocol option. If I switch it off, everything returns to normal, however I can't leave it off, because I'll get throttled, so I have reverted back to 0.68 to see if that makes any difference.

Any ideas why this could be affecting, because its not not working, I get higher speeds with it on than I would if I was throttled and it was off, but I don't get as higher speeds as before, did anything chance on the encryption from 0.68 to 0.7?

Well, I'l give it a whirl and see what happens. Cheers again.

Update: Well having sat and watched it for about 15minutes, I have 5 torrents going at once with an average speed of about 160Kb/s, it hit 200Kb/s at one point, so it looks like all is good.

Many thanks again for all your suggestions! (And also to the great monty python humour, made my morning after a pretty fun hard-drive crash last night! ;) )

Can you answer me!!

I run bitcomet 0.61. Always the speed is not the same it fluctuates a lot. Is this normal?

I can't get the maximum download speed. My max possible speed is around 32KBs in 256Kbs connection.

Is any way to maintain this speed stable?

Speeds on bittorrent are not constant. You also must understand that you cannot download faster than the peers are able to upload to you.

As for Bitcomet you should only use the up to date version. If you're having problems try 0.64; if that doesn't work then use 0.63, this one is more basic but it will work. You shouldn't use any version older than 0.63 because this is the first version to support PE (Protocol Encryption) which is also in µTorrent & Azureus.

If I am downloading something and I am the only one who is downloading that thing. I will have 0 peers, with 0 peers my theoretically download speed will be 0kbs. Only if we download and at torrentz directly will have some speed, is this true?