To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Trying not to just leech

todd_cat

Is there a way to speed up the seeding process. I am seeding some files but i am still at like .4. I know they are not the most popular downloads but i do not to remove them until at least 1. Also how does the ratio affect the downloading of other files, and how does a tracker know your ratio, and do the know the ratio. I understand that most private trackers do montior ratios. Would that include downloads from other trackers. Thanks in advance :D

Is there a way to speed up the seeding process. I am seeding some files but i am still at like .4. I know they are not the most popular downloads but i do not to remove them until at least 1. Also how does the ratio affect the downloading of other files, and how does a tracker know your ratio, and do the know the ratio. I understand that most private trackers do montior ratios. Would that include downloads from other trackers. Thanks in advance :D

I have the same problem. It seems like when download reaches 100% uploads start decreasing until there are none left. I'm running BitComet 0.70. I have tried setting priority to highest, but then it just sits and connects and nothing more :(

There isn't much you can do to speed up seeding. Most home broadband connections are a lot faster downstream than upstream, so it's always going to be slower seeding than downloading.

The tracker knows your ratio because your client reports its status (bytes downloaded, bytes uploaded, bytes left to go) to the tracker every time it scrapes.

Since ithe tracker depends on your scrape message for this information, it doesn't know anything about other trackers, or even that they exist. But if you have multiple trackers on a torrent, your client scrapes all of them in turn so they all know your progress for this torrent as a whole, not just "their" portion of it. (They don't have "portions".)

When the idea of keeping ratios first came up, Bram Cohen predicted that it would lead exactly where it did: swarms of thirty seeders all trying to improve their ratios, and two leechers who get very fast downloads but then turn into more seeders to try to get their ratios up in turn. You've got hordes of seeders hoping someone, anyone, will ask them for a byte or two.

Some sites make it worse by dropping the torrent after a certain period.

Your client can't give if nobody's there and willing to take from it, so it sits there in hope that eventually someone will.