To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Enable reporting LAN IP to Tracker?

What does the setting under "Preferences/Advanced/IP Rules/Enable reporting LAN IP to Tracker" used for? If I uncheck this, does that mean that the Tracker will not be able to log my IP?

Thanks in advance!

It does not mean that. This setting is used if you are connecting via a proxy, and want your own IP, rather than the proxy's, reported to the tracker. Should others be using the same proxy, they'll all appear to have the same IP. That may be a bad thing. If you're not using a proxy, leave it off.

It does not mean that. This setting is used if you are connecting via a proxy, and want your own IP, rather than the proxy's, reported to the tracker. Should others be using the same proxy, they'll all appear to have the same IP. That may be a bad thing. If you're not using a proxy, leave it off.

Thanks for the response.

Is it even possible to download files anonymously with BitComet (or any other BT client)?

That helps, but only use the p2p, ads, spyware lists during install.

The problem with Bittorrent is that it was never designed with anonymity in mind. You have to report your IP to the tracker and swarm for connections. Tor cannot handle the load of p2p shareing. I2P is a good idea, but very complex and not common at the moment.