To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Bitcomet 1.18 executalble file missing

jugula

Greetings,

Looking for some help. Just downloaded and tried to install Bitcomet 1.18, the problem is that the .exe file is missing from the directory once installed. An icon appears on the desktop, but when clicked Windows 7 reports that there is not link to an executable. No I didn't deleted the exe by mistake, it's just not there. I've uninstalled and reinstalled 4 times with the same result.

I've never seen this before and it's kind of difficult to run the program with no exe.

Regards......

Can you find bitcomet.exe, note the path you found it at, then right-click the shortcut, note the path where it is pointing, and post them both? (I'm mostly just curious about the details.) But you're right, it definitely should not do this. I wonder if the installer is running afoul of Virtual Storage now?

OK..... Not quite sure what you're looking for but, When I go to Start, All Programs, Bitcomet, the Bitcomet short cut is there, but it is not the normal round orange icon, it's rectangular with a black border and red inside. and under properties it points to C:\Program Files\Bitcomet\Bitcomet.exe..... but there is no Bitcomet.exe file in the directory.

The HIPS component of your firewall should be warning you when it prevents some application from performing an action.

Of course it can be set to block everything without notice, but then you're supposed to be an expert user which takes that into account and gives specific permissions to the installer file, prior to execution. But then again, in that case you wouldn't have posted this here.

Except if you played with the default settings and altered them, without knowing exactly what you were doing. In which case you should walk one of these two paths:

• either read, learn and understand the documentation of your Internet Security suite;
  • or if you don't feel like doing that, uninstall it and live with the Windows integrated firewall. You'll be doing yourself a big favor, since Internet Security suites while being powerful tools in the right hands, can often help you shoot yourself in the leg if you don't learn how to use them correctly.

The last thing that comes to mind it that maybe you have an IS suite which blocks by default certain applications without notice, in which case I would get rid of it at once, since you don't want a security suite which takes control of your system without letting you know.

I confirm it's a .rar, not a .zip. How much of a problem that is, is a separate question.

We DO NOT support the archive releases. One is expected to know what one is doing. We will not provide any guidance here. If one doesn't know exactly what one is doing then one has no business with these versions. If being a different type of archive throws one, I'd define that as "not knowing what one is doing".

On the gripping hand, the file has the wrong extension. Someone's confused between intent and execution. If it's going to be a .rar file then label it a .rar, not a .zip. But if it is supposed to be a .zip, then let's make it so.