To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

bitcomet shows host ip instead of static ip

Hello. I have a problem with bitcomet on my desktop computer. i also have it set up on my laptop, and its working fine on there (green light.) anyway, i'm not new to port forwarding, and i'm sure i've set up everything correctly. however, when bitcomet tries to d/l something from the desktop, it shows my port is blocked. the thing is... its not showing my local ip addy that i set up (192.168.1.100) but its showing my isp "global" addy and blocking the port as a result. (68.36.175.***, port 56656 and i've tried multiple ports setting up each one as i went.) i guess my question is, how do i point bitcomet to my local ip that i've set up on my desktop since the ports i've forwarded are related to that ip address? (the .100 one?) when i open BC on my laptop, it points to that local ip correctly (192.168.1.101) thanks in advance...

hello again. ok, nevermind what i said about the ip address on the laptop, because it too is showing the global address. however, i'm still having the blocked port on the desktop issue. both computers are set up the same except for the ports BC is using, the local ip addys, and the rules on the router related to the port forwarding of BC. any ideas?

Your Local IP address is only valid to peers within your LAN (your computers), it's meaningless to peers you connect to with bitcomet, so bitcomet should, and correctly does show your External (WAN) IP address.

When peers contact you on this IP address, they reach your router, which if setup properly will forward the traffic on your designated listening port to the computer running bitcomet. This is the reason for portforwarding.

You need to make sure you've got the right port paired with the right IP address throughout

Laptop is at LAN address 192.168.2.2 and listens on port 65432, so router rule BitCometLaptop has to be set up for that IP and that port.

Desktop is at LAN address 192.168.2.254 and listens on port 54321, which router rule BitCometDesktop has to reflect.

Don't get them confused, or assign the wrong machine to the wrong address. Leave yourself little post-it notes if you need to.

Do keep in mind that your bandwidth will not magically double, and that running bittorrent clients on both at once will likely cause interference. Also keep in mind that both clients will show the same WAN IP, which is actually the router's IP, and is correct. Finally, reflect that if you connect to the same tracker with both machines at the same time, bad things might result.

yea, i'm positive i've got them set up correctly in the router rules. and i'm not expecting my bandwidth to double, but i do still have a yellow light on the desktop even when the laptop is off. one thing though, i checked the peers tab and i am getting remote connections... i thought you only got those if you have a green light. is it possible its set up correctly even though i'm getting a yellow?

The indicator light is just an indicator, and it can be wrong.

It's indirect, like the gas gauge in your car, where there can be a problem with the sender, the cable, the electrical system or the gauge itself. If you really want to know for sure how much gas is in there, use a dipstick. That can't go wrong.

We've explained in the FAQ and guides how the light system works. but the peers who have connected remotely are the reason for all of this. If they are present, then you have accomplished the goal no matter what anything else says about it.

If you want to know why the light is yellow, this might be an interesting exploration into networking, but is a little beyond the scope of this forum.

statistics tab:

Overall Tasks: Total:3 / Running: 1

TCP Connections: Established: 28 [MAX:Unlimited] / Half-Open: 6 [MAX:10]

LAN IP: 192.168.1.100

WAN IP:

Listen Port of TCP: 56656

Listen Port of UDP: 56656

Windows Firewall: Added [TCP opened, UDP opened]

NAT port mapping: Disabled

Overall Download Rate: 2 kB/s Max Connection Limits: 50 per task

Overall Upload Rate: 26 kB/s, including LT seeding: 0 kB/s Upload slots: 10

Free Phys Mem: 897.69 MB (Min to keep: 50 MB)

Disk Cache Size: 28 MB (Min: 6 MB, Max: 50 MB)

Disk Read Statistics: Request: 42 (freq: 1.3/s), Actual Disk Read: 7 (freq: 0.0/s), Hit Ratio: 83.3%

Disk Write Statistics: Request: 0 (freq: 0.0/s), Actual Disk Write: 0 (freq: 0.0/s), Hit Ratio: 0.0%

Total Downloaded: 180.97 GB

Total Uploaded: 59.37 GB

as you can see i'm still getting crappy download speeds... so even though i have remote connections, they're still nowhere as fast as they can be (have a 6 Mb d/l speed)

At each of "Listen port of TCP" and "Listen port of UDP" entries you should find either "Opened if Firewall/Router" or "Blocked by Firewall/Router".

If there's nothing after each of them that's weird and not normal. If that's your case I'd recommend a clean reinstall.

That is, back-up all your current tasks (without backing up the settings) from the File menu and then uninstall BitComet, make sure you got rid of the BitComet folder from all the possible locations (depending on your OS and BitComet settings):

• C:\Program Files\BitComet in Win XP or
  • C:\Users\%userprofile%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\BitComet and C:\Program Files\BitComet in Vista or Seven or in
  • Users\%userprofile%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\BitComet in 64 bit versions of Vista or Seven or in
  • C:\Documents & Settings\%userprofile%\Application Data\BitComet and C:\Program Files\BitComet with BitComet v.1.18 or later on Win XP or in
  • C:\Users\%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\BitComet or
  • C:\Users\%userprofile%\AppData\Local\BitComet and C:\Program Files\BitComet with BitComet v.1.18 or later on Vista or Seven.

After removing all traces of BitComet reinstall, it make all the appropriate settings and test your torrents (which don't work very well now) without restoring the Task List yet. Only after you get a green light and good speeds restore your Task List.

• 3 weeks later...

hey sorry about the long delay in getting back to everyone, but i just had another baby. my sperm will stop at nothing to destroy any financial dreams i've ever had hahah. anyway, i did a complete reinstall, and it turned green almost immediately. i didn't even have to change any settings... it seemed to keep the old ones, which worked out fine because i didn't have to reopen any other ports on the router. i was using 1.07, and just got 1.22, so i'm smokin now. i do however have a "blocked" message after my udp listen port stat. will that affect much? thanks for the help guys...

-jay

Edited by pournstarr84 (see edit history)

First of all, congrats on your new born! May s/he lead a beautiful life!

Well, UDP is not being used for making BitTorrent connections with other peers, if that's what you're asking, so it won't have any direct impact on the speed at which you're downloading.

However, UDP is being used for communicating on the DHT network which is being used to, sometimes, retrieve additional peers to those provided by the tracker. For an index site as The Pirate Bay which relies on DHT and PEX only, this would pose a real issue.

If you got a green light by default, either you didn't perform a clean reinstall or your port got mapped through UPnP automatically.

What is the status of the 3 options under the Port Mapping section, on the Options-->Connection page?

What does the Statistics tab say, at UPNP NAT port mapping and at Windows firewall, now?

I didn't reread the entire thread, so forgive me for jumping in, but I thought I'd mention that some 3rd party firewalls won't automatically open the port on udp when granting full access to bitcomet. McAfee firewall for example, when set on highest security levels will prompt you to allow bitcomet, but this will only allow tcp connections. You need to manually enter a service rule for udp.

Perhaps your having a similar issue with a firewall or security software.

ps. I'd also recommend posting a screenshot of the error message you are getting so we can be sure it is what we think it is.

And Congrats on the Hatchling :)

What is the status of the 3 options under the Port Mapping section, on the Options-->Connection page?

What does the Statistics tab say, at UPNP NAT port mapping and at Windows firewall, now?

hey thanx for the well wishes guys...

only the first option is checked under the port mapping section (add windows firewall exception)

in the stats tab, UPNP NAT port mapping is disabled and windows firewall says added [tcp opened, udp opened]

I didn't reread the entire thread, so forgive me for jumping in, but I thought I'd mention that some 3rd party firewalls won't automatically open the port on udp when granting full access to bitcomet. McAfee firewall for example, when set on highest security levels will prompt you to allow bitcomet, but this will only allow tcp connections. You need to manually enter a service rule for udp.

Perhaps your having a similar issue with a firewall or security software.

also i have created an exception in my norton antivirus program for bitcomet to have full access. i'm not really getting any error messages at the moment, i just had the yellow light, but now its green.

only the first option is checked under the port mapping section (add windows firewall exception)

Well, this means that either in your router's firewall or on your Norton firewall (or perhaps on both) you'll need to either modify the existent rule or make a new one (depending on the firewall's interface options available) to allow incoming UDP connections as well, on the same port number as TCP connections (the listen port of BitComet).

That should get you an open UDP port in the Statistics tab, and allow your client to function on the DHT network.

P.S. You'll need to open and additional couple of TCP/UDP ports for the eMule plugin if you intend on using it and enable it.