To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

CB 3.6.6 issues

Hi first post here.

I browse the net with cometbird for few month now. Just great from speed, loading, graphic and video quality to the RAM use and the security. Nothing better than cometbird for me

I still use firefox and IE to test my sites.

Though with the latest update it is a bit slower, Cometbird runs now and sub process called plugin-container.exe and the flash plugin crashes!!!

Firefox does not. Can someone tell me more about it?

Also, I can not login to cometmarks anymore. It simply asks for my Cometid username and password. Need help to login and recover my online bookmarking.

Any help or lead would be appreciated

thanks for the reply

firefox does not have this sub process called plugin-container.exe which takes another 20 to 25 mb of RAM

On top of that I think this process boost my cpu at 100% when streaming or playing flash videos so I cant really do anything on the side.

And the flash plugin crashes everyday

Please understand that I am not complaining but more wondering

My version of Mozilla is 3.0.15 so I don't have the plugin process running.

Please, see attached file.

Still have an issue with login in cometmarks. I am redirected to CometID. Can someone help me login again?

The online bookmarking is really great but cant use it for about 2 weeks now

Thanks

post-57747-12792401468811.png

Edited by imajinn (see edit history)

I have a similar issue. When working with more than one tab open (which is almost always) CB regularly stops responding. Sometimes it's just for a few seconds & then back to normal. But sometimes it just hangs my whole system & I can't do anything in CB or anywhere else. Usually I try to pull up the task manager & shut it down but if I wait, I'll get a message saying something like the Plug-in container for CometBird has stopped responding.

I'm running CB 3.6.6 on a Vista Home premium system, however this was happening prior to this version as well. Next time it happens & get a screen shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm having the exact same container issue - I'm running Vista Home premium also. Cometbird ver 3.6.8.

I know Lucy has already reported it - many thanks in advance for all you guys do to help us out :) .

Sarah

It seems there are two issues being discussed here. The issues related to loggin into cometmarks is being looked into, the instability issues with the plug-in container are a firefox issue, so there isn't much we can do about that until firefox resolves the problem.

To the original poster, firefox didn't run the plugin container as a separate process in older versions, but until they did this, if your "flash plugin" (for example) was to crash, it would crash the entire browser, but with the plugin container, it can allow the plugins to crash and not have your browser suddenly close, losing all your work.

Also, the root reason for this is related to flash player, this is why the member here reports cometbird stops responding. I've found that the flash plugin often can consume over 500mb of ram if playing browser games. I've even seen it consume over 1,500mb of ram at times.

I think it's a good thing that these plugins can crash without taking down the entire browser, and as for that to run stable, it's really an issue between the authors of the plugin and firefox.

Thanks for clarifying - I've since done some online research with regard to the container issue; There's a suggestion (geared towards Firefox) that overriding the container default hang time of 45 seconds might be a temporary solution. I wondered if it might also work for Cometbird? I've played with fire a little and followed the on-screen instructions as per the link below. So far I've not had any further crashes. That said it's early days. I realise it's a bit late to ask - but is it strictly 'safe' to follow this procedure in Cometbird? Also do you think it will make any difference in Cometbird? I know Firefox and Cometbird are relatives - the layout of the Config screens were identical to Firefox's.

Thanks.

Sarah.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/The+Adobe+Flash+plugin+has+crashed

You can apply this setting to cometbird with the same risk/benefit as with firefox.

also, to respond to your curiosity, cometbird is a modified version of firefox. It's been modified to better serve the filesharing community.

Hi again,

Thanks for the advice re the config, and also for explaining why FF and Cometbird are so similar. I've often wondered what the difference was! The bad news is that Flash is being a *insert derogatory expletive here* again tonight, so I'll reset the hang time to 45.

Many thanks again,

Sarah

• 1 year later...

I just downloaded CometBird... it worked fine for approx 12 hours but now when I try to open the CometBird browser I get an error that states "Plugin container for cometbird has stopped working". Windows then tries to remedy the problem which it can't... CometBird freezes and I have to end task to close out the non responding window.

Can you help me?

CometBird and Scriptish allow me to run some automated features for a game and I really loved it while it was working! :)

Thanks so much in advance

Thats not a cometbird problem, it's the plugin your using. I suggest you contact the publisher of the plugin. If they aren't aware of cometbird, you can tell them it shares firefox source code and is 100% compatible with firefox extensions.

It's been a while since I've used version 3.6.6,but I think you click on "tools" and "add ons". your scriptish is one of them. It might be the one that's causing the problem. Adobe Flash also crashes a lot and uses tons of memory. I've seen flash use well over a gigabyte of ram and end up making the browser unstable. Firefox had problems with this and ended up making the plugin container so it can allow the plugins to crash with out bringing down the whole browser.