Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Remote Download bug

b3333r

Version: 1.23

Internet: ethernet+PPPoE

Firewall: windows firewall

Antivirus: AVG antivirus free

I was experimenting with Remote Download feature. It works just fine. But if you tick options->connection->listen port->no listening mode, the Remote Download web page stops responding. I cannot open web UI anymore, both from localhost and from a remote PC. When I re-enable Listen Port, web GUI starts working again. I was able to reproduce this on two other PCs (xp sp3 and w2k3 sp2) so I think this issue is not OS-related.

I'm not sure if this is a bug. It may be the way the developers intended it to work (i.e. when you put BC in "no listening mode" it closes all listening ports not only the BitTorrent port.

We'll see what the team has to say about it.

Anyway, do you have a particular reason for using this mode?

Because it's like trying to shoot yourself in the leg and complaining that you can aim accurately.

when you put BC in "no listening mode" it closes all listening ports not only the BitTorrent port.

That may be the case.

Anyway, do you have a particular reason for using this mode?

I use uTorrent for BT downloads because of it's excellent web gui. But it lacks the ability to download files via http. As far as I know, Bitcomet is the only free prog with decent HTTP download web gui. So I thought it'd be nice idea to disable all BT-related stuff in it and use it as a remote http download tool. That extra open port is no big deal, but I'd like to get rid of it if possible. Edited by b3333r (see edit history)

The remote download feature pretty clearly requires that the server be able to contact you when it needs to. That means you must have an open port to listen for that contact.

The alternative would be to design the client so it wastes bandwidth polling the server repeatedly to check for traffic, and most of the time there wouldn't be any. Pretty wasteful.

I use uTorrent for BT downloads because of it's excellent web gui. But it lacks the ability to download files via http.

You are correct, utorrent is a bittorrent download client only. I agree that utorrent has an excellent webui and I use it too on one of my servers. One thing I'm not sure if your aware of is that bitcomet has the ability to download the files in your torrents via http/ftp, other torrents and/or emule sources. This can be done completely automatically and in some cases can complete even dead torrents (non-seeded).

We all hate it when we find a torrent for some rare content that we'd love to have only to find the torrent isn't seeded. Using a traditional bittorrent client like utorrent, this torrent would never finish, but with bitcomet, it can search our ever-growing databases for files with the same hash value and connect to them from any of the supported protocols, therefore completing the download, not only for yourself, but in turn seeding these files to other members of the swarm. In effect, breathing new life into a dead torrent.

As far as the web user interface goes, utorrent's has been around longer, and may be superior in some points, but if you consider the other advantages bitcomet offers, you may want to consider using it for your torrents too. Also, you can feel free to offer suggestions to improve our webui. I don't believe developing this feature has been one of the higher priorities, but it's nice to hear from users who use it regularly, and I personally would like to see it improved.

For some while now, BitComet has been able to use a different listening port for the Web UI (since version v.1.20).

Perhaps you should post a request in the Feature Request section, for having BitComet's Web UI listen port still open (when remote management interface is activated) even when in "no listening" mode.

As I said, I have no idea if the team simply missed that case or if they intentionally made it work that way. So, it's worth trying a request.

Of course, you'd have to always set a different port number for the Web interface than the BT listen port. I'm assuming you did that already and it doesn't work, did you?

Perhaps you should post a request in the Feature Request section, for having BitComet's Web UI listen port still open (when remote management interface is activated) even when in "no listening" mode.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to post a feature request.

I'm assuming you did that already and it doesn't work, did you?

Of cource I did ;)