To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Automatic installation of IE integration extension

On first startup of Bitcomet, it automatically installs the IE integration extension, and I am forced each time to uninstall the feature again. I choose not to use the feature because I am left with no option to run the files I download. Any suggestions on correcting this situation will be greatly appreciated.

:mellow:

Whenever you install any software, you're usually given the option to choose a default installation, or to customize it. Sometimes that's called "advanced".

Always choose the custom/advanced installation and go through it. Even if you don't change any of the defaults, this will let you know what the application is doing. That avoids surprises.

When you take the custom installation option, you can choose not to install the IE download integration.

• Like 1

Hello Kluelos, thank you for your feedback, but I chose a custom installation from the very start, and chose not to integrate the feature into either browser. I installed bitcomet well over three months ago and never had this problem until about a week ago. Should I uninstall and then reinstall?

Edited by lindafails (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hmm. I had other problems with 1.23 and retreated, myself, but I'm seeing more oddball complaints about it, concerning issues I'd thought long solved.

It shouldn't be necessary to uninstall. You should be able to install 1.22 right over 1.23 and have your preference respected. The programmers need to know if that doesn't work.

• 2 months later...
I am left with no option to run the files I download.

Linda, are you aware that if you use Internet Explorer and select the "run" option instead of the "save" option when downloading a file, that the file then gets downloaded to a hidden system folder where it can sit and take up space, often indefinitely. Also, should you need to reinstall the file or run it again, most users end up downloading it again because they have no idea where your Internet Explorer has hidden the file.

Its my personal opinion that doing this is only serving to produce ignorant users who don't understand something as simple as handling files in windows. Also, your much better off opening files in the windows operating system, not in a web browser, so regardless if you want to use bitcomet to download the files or not, I'd strongly suggest YOU decide where you want your computer to save the files you download, then you know where they are in case you want to use them again, or in case you simply want to delete them to free up space.

• Like 1