To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

VIP downloads

mctayto

Hi mctayto, which version is your BitComet? If it's not 1.24, please update it to 1.24, because there was a bug in Beta version. If it is v1.24 you're using currently, please PM me with your username and the hashcode of the task.

I upgraded to 1.24 a few days ago which gave me the VIP option. I then went on to use the free 1Gb plus purchased an extra 10Gb to test the improvement eg was it worth purchasing a further 100Gb. So far it appears to have no effect on download speeds in that I download 10 items at a time and the non VIP tend to be faster than the actual VIP downloads.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If your current download is already maxing out your connection, then nothing including VIP can make that faster. VIP can help when you have a torrent that is proceeding at less than your max connection speed. You should save your VIP downloads for those situations.

• 1 month later...

I had bought the VIP program but think it will be the last time as I don't think the downloads are that much greater. I usually only get 10-20kbs from what I can remember. When my purchase expires ( I thought that if you bought a certain amount of download space, you wouldn't have a month to use it in) , don't think I will renew VIP just use the FREE program...

Car33, Please bare with us as the development on this service proceeds. You'll also notice there was an announcement a couple weeks ago that all members who purchased vip previously will get a free 100g plan.

Also, this service was designed to both help the users, and pay the development cost and ongoing operating costs involved with BitComet and it's related services. I hope your future vip usage pleases you more then the past, but if it helps make sense to you, you can look at it as helping the development team to improve the product, which is after all a free program.

to the unusual suspect: I know that you have given another 100gb of download space , but if you can''t download at a better rate than say 30kb than what is the difference as after I had purchased the VIP program that I have ONLY ONE month to use this. I figured that I would be able to use this amount of download space until I had used it ALL up ....

VIP won't somehow magically increase your internet connection speed. I think a better job of explaining this should have been done.

If you are maxing out your connection's download speed most of the time, the VIP isn't going to help you. You can't get it from the VIP server any faster than you can get it from another peer.

VIP is basically another peer with a fast pipe, who downloads the torrent faster than you can, and then sends it to you. But it can't send faster than your connection can accept it. If your connection is already maxed, VIP won't speed things up. It helps on those torrents where you are not maxed, and it would help if you were a more attractive trade partner. VIP is a VERY attractive partner with high upload speeds, downloading part of the torrent on your behalf and then sending it to you.

The way bittorrent protocol works, you receive data at a rate proportional to your ability to upload. If (for example) you can download at 1000kB/s but can only upload at 10kB/s, then your only going to get data from peers that can upload at your same rate, so on many torrents your download speed will be as low as 10kB/s. With VIP, our servers can upload to the swarm at speeds upto 1gb/s or 1,000,000kbit/s, so all the best peers will offer the vip server data pieces which the server then can send to you at upto your max connection speed of 1000kB/s. In this case, you could download 100 times faster with vip, providing everything is working correctly.

Also, if your unable to use your vip allotment due to errors, message lucy26, I'm sure something can be worked out. This service was developed to help users, and help fund the necessary costs of development in making a free product, but it isn't required or necessary in any way. Without Vip Bitcomet can equal performance of any bittorrent client and with the optional (and free) LTseed option, it can often greatly outperform other clients. VIP can be a good tool for a person who is on a limited connection, and many users are happy with the service, and we are doing what we can to help users who have a negative experience with it.