RAM Usage at 93% (v1.24)

john5246

Version: 1.24

Amount of tasks running: 1

File size: 4GB

Upload Speed: 150KB/Sec

Download Speed: 1.6MB/sec

Windows Task manager shows Bitcomet using 1,656 KB

Stopped task and restarted computer, restarted bitcomet, restarted task. RAM usage went up again to 90%+, only Google Chrome Browser was running along side bitcomet. Windows Task manager confirms bitcomet is using most of the memory.

System:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

AMD Phenom II X4 955BE 3.2Ghz

2GB Corsair RAM (@1333Mhz)

1TB HDD (125GB Free)

Is there an actual problem associated with this?

RAM is there to be used -- there's no virtue in having, say, 20% of it unused, (tumbleweeds blowing down its empty virtual streets of abandoned storefronts), and especially not if using that 20% would speed things up.

BitComet can use available memory to buffer disk writes.

It only becomes an issue when there's some sort of contention for that memory, when something ELSE wants to use it too and can't get enough. Is there?

It only becomes an issue when there's some sort of contention for that memory, when something ELSE wants to use it too and can't get enough. Is there?

he's got 93% of his systems memory going to bitcomet alone, that doesn't seem like a problem? Sure if he had that hypothetical 20% just rollin around, that would be one thing (and by one thing I mean just leaving bitcomet on and going to bed), but that amount of memory is not acceptable. I'm having a similar problem, and have locked my system up quite a few times now. Only when I can end a dozen or so other processes, including wmp networking (which is a major pain), am I able to run this like I did with the last release.....

That's correct: it's not a problem. It doesn't become one until something else wants to use that memory. Anecdotes of system lockups that have no clear relation to memory usage don't really add anything to the discussion.

It is one thing to say that BitComet demands so much memory. (It doesn't.) Quite another thing to say that BitComet can take advantage of that memory if it's present and unused.

"Not acceptable"? Sorry, try another client if that bothers you so much. Memory usage alone is NOT prima facie evidence of a problem. System lockups are a problem. Slowdowns are a problem. Reboots are a problem.

Gauges pointing to 93% usage are not a problem.

no it's not acceptable, and I am using another client because of it. I don't understand if you're purposely being stupid to this, or if bitcomet really does have that terrible of a tech staff. I mean, seriously? what the h*** are you thinking? do you not understand that it's a problem? jesus it hurts having to explain this to you like a little kid. if you want to run bitcomet using 90% of your memory go right ahead. And lets just be clear, it's simple to run task manager and see JUST how much bitcomet is taking, and if you don't understand that then wtf are you doing on here? it IS a problem, I don't understand how much more simple it has to be put. I can dumb it down maybe? or you can just say it isn't a problem, and go about turning a def ear to it like tech staff is supposed to.....utorrent ftw

No, sir. You need to calm down.

BitComet shrinks it's cache size when memory is being asked for by another app, dynamically or straight down to a set value depending on your settings. If too much memory being used causes problems on your system then maybe you should check your memory for errors.

Now, if you like paying an electricity bill for something you never use, go ahead, it's your hard earned cash that's being spent not mine.

I can play crysis at very high while bitcomet downloads and uploads at above 8000k/s with no problem, for example..

That's probably a good choice. I think you'll likely fit in very well with utorrent, as they do seem to embrace your own "X is evil because I say so, and anyone who doesn't agree must be stupid" sort of attitude.

Please don't forget to remove Bitcomet's listen-port exception from your firewall rules when you uninstall it. Wouldn't want it to hit you on your way out.

I still wish that the initial poster had followed through and posted a screenshot of the Cache setting page in BitComet's options, as Vasy asked. Because if his cache settings weren't permitting BitComet to use 93% of his 2GB of RAM, then this could still point to a bug.

That's because BitComet is supposed to dynamically choose the cache size, INSIDE the Min-Max range set on that options page.

Please don't forget to remove Bitcomet's listen-port exception from your firewall rules when you uninstall it. Wouldn't want it to hit you on your way out.

I lol'd at that, and the poor attempt at an insult for going with another client......

Thanks to greywizard and vasy however for addressing the fact that this could have possibly just been a setting problem.

Actually, I think that was neither a joke or an insult, we don't hold grudges based on what you choose for a client, you can use whatever makes you happy, it's your attitude towards others that matters.

You're welcome.

Version: 1.24

Amount of tasks running: 1

File size: 4GB

Upload Speed: 150KB/Sec

Download Speed: 1.6MB/sec

Windows Task manager shows Bitcomet using 1,656 KB

Stopped task and restarted computer, restarted bitcomet, restarted task. RAM usage went up again to 90%+, only Google Chrome Browser was running along side bitcomet. Windows Task manager confirms bitcomet is using most of the memory.

System:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

AMD Phenom II X4 955BE 3.2Ghz

2GB Corsair RAM (@1333Mhz)

1TB HDD (125GB Free)

Well i had this issue a couple of times and after that i didn't run into this problem.

The only issue that i face at sometimes with this new v1.24 is that it really slows down all the disk operations at the time when i am seeding something. So the file copy operations take more than usual time. I think it is due to the fact that Bitcomet has to make lots of read attempts during the seeding process. One thing i would like to ask that is bitcomet compatible with the x64 architecture as john is using it. I am using v1.24 on WIndows 7 x32 and never got the memory issues. Hopefully it is the x64 architecture that isn't supported or something like that.

Khota33

Edited by khota33 (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...