To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

BitComet just killing my internet speed

olitovn

With BitComet running browsing internet is impossible!

searched few pages couldn't find a topic.If there is one please point me to it...

Win XP pro

BitComet 1.24 Problem with last 2 or 3 upgrades...

With bitComet running even without DL or UPL I cannot use my browser takes forever to open page or timeouts. Even when I close BitComet it takes a few minutes before I can start browsing net.

Remember it can be setup any way no downloads, no uploads and no task just Bitcomet open would cause this....

Been using BitComet for years and went over each setting tons of times....it is getting frustrating...

thanks

Remember it can be setup any way no downloads, no uploads and no task just Bitcomet open would cause this....

Have you made sure that LT Seeding isn't also active, in the background?

Have you performed recent speed tests?

Can you please provide the rest of the required Essentials (see my siggy)?

Try disabling DHT and see if you get different results.

same both ways....also when I exit BitComet takes at least 5 minutes for my internet connection to get back to normal.I also tried an uninstall and fresh install same. Been dealing with this 4 a long time..

This does sound as if your router is being overwhelmed by the number of connections. Bittorrent makes more of them and much faster than other sorts of applications. That should not be a problem by itself, but some routers try to "remember" connections on the theory that they will likely be used again. This isn't so for bittorrent, re-use is rare. The problem arises when the router's memory is full up. Some routers handle that gracefully, others not so much. Some even drop the connection altogether.

Getting the router out of the loop is a good test. Another good one is to see if you can temporarily borrow another router from somebody else, just to see if a replacement would solve the problem. If so, routers are pretty cheap, and you do not get your money's worth by spending more. There are no "good" brands, every one has its supporters and vehement detractors, so I'd go with what's on sale locally.