To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

.torrent file not removed when deleteing task and downloaded files

Hi all,

New to bitcomet, having previously used utorrent, love the preview option, works flawlessly. One minor annoyance i have found is that .torrent files (bitcomet file) i have downloaded and then opened in bitcomet, are not removed when i delete the task after downloading and seeding is complete. Is there an option i have missed to enable this?

Thanks

The .torrent file downloading process is a HTTP download, usually performed through your browser and is not controlled by BitComet.

There are 2 ways you can go about this:

1. You click on the .torrent file link and when your browser presents you with the option you choose to open the file with BitComet (or if BitComet is set as the default .torrent file handler in your browser it will open BitComet automatically and pass the .torrent file to it). In this case the .torrent file will be saved into the %TEMP% folder.
  2. You can choose to SAVE the file (in your browser's dialog) instead of opening it with BitComet, in which case the location where the .torrent file will be saved is decided by you. In this case you will have to manually open the .torrent file in BitComet either by double-clicking it, or by dragging it over the BitComet window or over the floating window or by using the File... menu (or whatever other standard Windows method).

The similar thing about the 2 ways above is that BitComet is not controlling in any way the download of the .torrent file and therefore it isn't aware of the location where it's been saved (even though that may seem to be the case if you choose the first method). That is just your browser associating .torrent files with BitComet (if asked to) and saving you the trouble of manually opening the .torrent file (as you would in method 2).

Since both these methods are external to BitComet, as soon as the .torrent file has been opened in BitComet, it will copy the .torrent file into the BitComet\Torrents folder. It is from there that the .torrent files are being read and loaded every time BitComet loads the Task List and from there they are being deleted once you delete a task from the task list.

But the previous locations (%TEMP% folder or the folder of your choice as described in method 2) won't be cleaned by BitComet since you can open a .torrent file from virtually ANYWHERE on the disk. It would mean that BitComet needed to remember from WHERE it opened the .torrent file the first time in order to delete it along with the task from tasklist and that, assuming that you didn't move it.

It's your job to maintain order and clean those folders since they are external to BitComet.

So, to which folder containing .torrent files, were you referring?

I'm aware that i can open the .torrent file directly through a browser, trouble is i use chrome and it doesn't give you the option to open file with a default programme, therefore i have to download the .torrent file to my download folder, and open the .torrent from there. I guess what i am getting at is that every other client i've used removes the loaded .torrent file by default, normally when you right click and remove a job from the client, or some even delete the .torrent file once it has been loaded.

trouble is i use chrome and it doesn't give you the option to open file with a default programme,

This is not true. I too use Chrome and when you download a torrent it displays in the bottom "downloads bar" (not sure if thats the proper name). You can simply click on the file to open it, or you can click on the little arrow for a menu to appear that includes "open" "show in folder" and a few more.

Also, if I understand you correctly about other clients like utorrent, they don't delete the torrent from the original download location. I have utorrent installed on one of my computers and it works the same way bitcomet does. when you open any torrent file, it will save a copy of the torrent in its own chosen location, and if you tell either program to delete the torrent and data, it will remove the copy it made, but not the original that is in your default download folder. I believe this is done for a very good reason. I wouldn't want any program to have permissions to move/alter/delete files in my download folder unless they were files that it created.

Thanks for your reply. I know you can open the file through chrome, but chrome forces you to download the .torrent file, whereas i know firefox gives you the option to open the file without having to save it. And i'm afraid you're wrong about utorrent. If you point the client to where .torrent files are saved, it will either load them automatically when downloaded and then delete them once loaded, or if you right click in the client you're given the option to remove .torrent or remove .torrent and data. This is not only true for utorrent, but vuze, deluge and bitspirit. The fact i have chosen bitcomet to be my default torrent handler, and therefore .torrent files are downloaded as bitcomet files, surely the client should give you the option to remove the .torrent file when you are finished with it?

I believe it's you thats misunderstanding something here.

i know firefox gives you the option to open the file without having to save it.

Internet Explorer began giving the user the option of "run" as well as "save" when downloading a file, and firefox also gives you similar option, but the part that you (and many other users) don't understand is BOTH of these options saves the torrent file on your computer.

If you select "save", then you decide where it's going to be saved, and therefore can remove it very easily.

If you select "run", it will be saved to a hidden system folder, and with default windows settings, you won't be able to find it if you need it, nor to delete it.

I'll also point out that most computer program developers recommend closing all applications when you install, which is a good idea, but completely impossible if your launching the program from within a web browser. Personally I think it's really stupid for a web browser to prompt you to run an exe file. I recommend you let your web browser do what it was made for, which is browsing the web, and if you want to launch program, that you do it from windows.

Something as simple as opening a .torrent shouldn't be a problem from within a web browser, but if you do, your still saving the torrent. In fact, it's highly likely that you have at least one hidden system folder thats full of all kinds of stuff that you assumed wasn't being downloaded, but its completely impossible to run a program without downloading it first.

Regarding uTorrent, it cannot delete the torrent before the task is downloaded, and even after download is complete, you cannot continue to seed if you have deleted it. If I download a torrent to my desktop then open it in uTorrent, it will then copy that torrent to another location. With uTorrent you can select the location where you want it to save it (if you want to make it easy to delete later), or you can let utorrent save it where ever the default setting wants it to go.

In uTorrent go to...

Preferences>directories>location of torrents>store torrents in

There you can select where the torrent gets saved. Just remember, if you delete the torrent, then you cannot continue to seed it, so make sure you have uploaded your fair share before doing so.

I'm aware that utorrent saves another copy of the .torrent file, but it also deletes the original .torrent file you have downloaded once loaded from the directory. For example, in utorrent preferences i have .torrent files load automatically from my download folder. I downlaod a .torrent file to my download folder, utorrent opens it and then deletes that original .torrent file from the download folder. This way, i dont have a download folder cluttered with .torrent files. But you've answered my question anyway, so thank you.

I think it would be more accurate to say uTorrent "moves" the torrent file, not "deletes" it. You can set the options for utorrent to automatically start any torrent in a specific folder then to delete that file, but the file isn't removed from your computer, it's just moved to another location.

It is a settable option, inadequately labeled. "Move completed torrents to". If this is UNchecked, then it becomes "delete completed torrents", though it does not say that and does not warn you.

I was obliged to change versions of utorrent (but I'm still 'way back there with 1.6.1), however it used to simply rename torrents by tacking a ".loaded" extension on to them. I can't get it to do that anymore, but I wish I could. It was more convenient.