To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Task Listy columns File location

When storing downloads on several drives, they often require rearrangement because of space limitations and topic categorization. Right now each file location has to be determined on each file by clicking individual files to determine drive and folder location . Allowing display, sorting and indexing could move files en masse would facilitate rearrangement.

*** Edited by mod: eyehurting font choices elided ***

BitComet is not a file-manager and isn't likely to become one. There are better uses for programmers' time. I doubt very much that this will be seriously considered. Most people simply don't store files on multiple drives, nor categorize them, so not many would benefit from this or even find it useful.

Thank you for editing this topic Kluelos, I wasn't willing to attempt to read it like it was, but I must admit I still find it confusing. If your asking bitcomet to download a torrent so the completed files go to different locations/harddrives, then your really trying to over complicate the process by doing this. Since bitcomet doesn't download file by file, it would have to download each piece, and in some cases split that piece of data and send it to two, three or more different drives/folders. That alone is complicated enough, but then when it comes time to hash check the torrent and if one of those drives is unavailable, then data on the other drives will revert to less then 100% complete status.

Surely if this happens novice users will blame bitcomet, when it was the users own decisions that caused it.

My own personal opinion is that the option to manipulate files within a torrent is a bad idea and only causes confusion and causes complicated programing techniques that each compound the possibility of errors or bugs to creep in.

I think proper education of the users would be a bigger advantage, then we would see less users playing with options, turning files on and off and assuming they are downloading or not downloading file by file when in fact many disabled files still need to be downloaded regardless of the settings.

The correct direction to go in regards to handling files is make it more simple, and let bitcomet do it's job and just download them. After the task is complete and you've seeded your fair share, then you can delete the task from bitcomet and only then will they truly be "only" files, but as long as the task is still loaded in bitcomet, what you have is a large number of pieces that are assembled into files. Changing, moving or altering the files in any way will make bitcomets job much more complicated then it needs to be.

I think what he's trying to say is that it often happens to him that different tasks from the tasklist end up downloaded to different drives (due to free space constraints).

I guess that what's he's asking for, is a column in the Task List showing the path, in order so that the tasks residing in the same path can be sorted and grouped together, in order to be able to move them in block; much easier than clicking on each one to see its path.

But that's just a guess, since the post is more than ambiguous in the terms it uses.

• 8 months later...