To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Troubles to install java plugin

I believe cometbird may already have the plugin installed. I know mine has two Java plugins installed and I didn't install them myself. Can you please specify exactly which plugin your trying to install, and also look in your "Tools>Add-ons>Plugins" and see which Jave plugins are installed.

When reaching http://www.bitlet.org/ page, I have this message: 'This browser does not have a Java Plug-in.

Get the latest Java Plug-in here.' I click in and to install, this what I did but it didn't work. After clicking installation, nothing happened.

On yesterday, I uninstalled with Javara, Java plugin coming with CB as this plugin was disabled by default. CB disabled old versions by security purposes. This was the version coming with CB, jre1.6.0_22

Please check if that plugin is compatible with Firefox (same version number as your cometbird). Also, when getting the plugin from Java, you want to install the mozilla firefox version if they don't have one specific to cometbird.

In regards to that website, I'm able to load it without getting any plugin errors. Please make sure you havn't clicked on a malicious advertisement that's trying to get you to install a "trojan horse" program.

I'd also avoid any messages within a browser window telling you there are security issues or asking you to install something. This is how most adware/spyware/malware/virus/trojan etc. infect your system. If this was something malicious you were trying to install, then your antivirus may have prevented it from executing, or it could have been an exploit that was patched by a windows update.

If your unable to execute the .exe program from within windows, then you either have a corrupt download, or a security program that is preventing you from executing files.

Are you using a limited user account in windows? If so, you'll need to log into an account with administrator privileges. If your trying to open the file from within a browser, you may be getting a confirmation windows warning that .exe files can be dangerous. Recent windows versions will give you a similar message, even when run from administrator account.

I really don't trust third-party sites for downloads that are readily available from the source (sun.com and java.com). Why wouldn't you go to the horse's mouth, so to speak? They're going to be the most up-to-date and have the most invested in making sure the download's free from nasties. They also have the stuff to help you find exactly the version you need.

My questions remain unanswered.

And after all, malware sites offer exactly the same assurances.

But I'm uninterested in FileHippo in any case. They have some petty feud with Apphit, and decided in their fuzzy brains that BitComet is somehow responsible for Apphit, so they don't carry updated versions of BitComet. Who else are they feuding with, and what else don't they carry? We don't know, but we do know their logic ain't too good, they can't be relied upon to be up-to-date, by their own stated policies.

I'd rather go straight to the source, and know I'm getting the latest updates and the associated tools.

I agree with Kluelos, filehippo did make a lot of assumptions about bitcomet's relationship with apphit. This makes them lose credibility in my mind. but as of the last beta version (and next stable version too), BitComet will no longer use apphit's service, so now it's upto filehippo to see if they will update their unfair and uninformed policy regarding BitComet.

Guilt by association is something that no legal system supports.

Also note that you won't find BitComet posting vicious comments about filehippo anywhere. This speaks about BitComet's character in a huge way. You can get down in the gutter and throw insults about, but only those who choose to get in the gutter with you will respond.

I haven't even stopped members from posting their links here, and if they want to resolve this matter, they are free to contact me at any time and we can begin negotiations to stop this unidirectional feud.