To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

How do I get downloads such as Firefox to not automatically download w/ BitComet?

I am newer to BitComet and am using it for my torrents but I am running into an issue when trying to download for instance Firefox as another browser. The download automatically goes into BitComet and it won't work. I also tried to down loan the VLC player and it downloaded into BitComet but when I tried to open it to run the program it wanted me to chose the program that could open it. How do I get around this?

I'm sorry!

I'll try and explain it better. I currently only have IE as this is a new laptop. I want to download and install Firefox as a browser on my computer. I have already downloaded BitComet and somehow it's my default "downloader". When I click on the link on the Firefox website to download Firefox it automatically tries to download it through BitComet. When it downloads in the BitComet application it's there but no file downloads to my computer. I'll try and do some screenshots. Bascially I'm trying to see how to get certain files to just download straight to my computer without automatically going to BitComet.

If you want BitComet NOT to manage your HTTP/FTP downloads go to Options-->Integration in BitComet and uncheck the two upper check-boxes into the IE Integration section.

BTW upon installing you are presented with the option to have BitComet handle all your downloads or not. By default all options are checked but you can uncheck them. If you just hit the OK button in the installing process for any application without verifying what each option will do, you'll always get surprising (for you) behaviors from your applications.

Also, you can type the url like "http://mozilla.com" into any folders address bar and get there without using I.E., then windows default methods will be used to download files, not any IE add-ons that are installed.

Once you have installed Firefox, you might like to look at the "flashgot" extension. It will prompt you to select whatever download manager you want to handle each download. BitComet comes with a similar extension integrated, but if you want to use multiple download managers, the you might prefer flashgot.