To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

[Help]MPCStar 5.1 play mp4 file error !!

There seem to be quite a few complaints like this. Unfortunately, almost none of them are coherent or remotely complete. It would be convenient to know exactly what you can't play, and whether or not you can play other, similar content.

Instead, every detail is like pulling teeth. So here's how it's probably going to go:

"guy says he can't play MP4's".

"Well, I tried an MP4, had no problems with it. Can't duplicate the problem, so nothing to do."

Instead, if you say,

"I can't play THIS particular file, which you can get HERE, in MPCStar 5.1. I can play it in previous version 4.9, and I can play it in VLC or Media Player Classic. In 5.1 there is no audio/the picture is blank/playback is out of sync/everything is tinted purple."

then you demonstrate a real problem that is likely to be a defect in the software instead of a configuration or installation problem. Someone else can attempt to duplicate the problem and confirm this.

Me and my roommate upgraded the player. We totally like the new MPCStar 5.1. But then came the problem, me and my roommate, who is also using it, can not play mp4 file format.

When I play it in 5.1, the video is just stagnant, a freezing picture while playing. And sometimes, when I close it, it will not respond anymore.

When I downgraded it to 5.0 and tried to play it again, it played smoothly. I also tried to play it in VLC Player and KMP Player, and it played very smoothly again.

I hope a quick fix for these will be posted.

[uPDATE]

File used: Lady Gaga - Born This Way [2011] HD 1080p.mp4

Frame width: 1920

Frame height: 1080

Data rate: 3146 kbps

Total bitrate: 3271 kbps

Almost all my video files are in the mp4 format.

Edited by jjbladera (see edit history)

Additional information, I tried to play all kinds of video format like wmv, avi, flv, rmvb and mkv in 5.1, and it played smoothly, except for mp4. I also tested those files in another player and it played smoothly again. Something's wrong with 5.1 when it comes to playing mp4 files.

What kluelos means is showing us where the video that doesn't play is, be it a torrent, or hosted on a website, or wherever.

Also, Mpeg 4 is a video compression standard that could use many different codecs. Most .avi files use mpeg4, usually divx or xvid codec, as well as h264 and x264. There are dozens of different types of video that fall under the classification of mpeg 4, and most will play very well on any version of mpcStar.

If we had access to the video that doesn't, then the developers would have something to work on. (small video files would be preferred for testing)

Most , if not all of my mpeg4 video files which are downloaded into comp are unable to play in MPCstar5.1. Previously playable in MPCstar5.0.

When trying to play mp4 files on 5.1 , it is just a blank screen no audio / video. Program stops responding.

[update]

Videos obtain from Youtube / Facebook via downloading using RealPlayer.

Edited by kyle71 (see edit history)

Here's the file. I successfully uploaded it.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=943G0KL6

The video came from Facebook. I downloaded it through a download manager.

[uPDATE]

I uploaded another video. It was made by my friend for their convention. It is in the mp4 format.

Here's the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?337vbyz3376cu66

Thank you, I confirmed that this (second file provided) does not play in mpcstar 5.1 but does play in other players. This video is a standard resolution video encoded with opensource x264 codec in an .mp4 container. I've also confirmed that version 5.1 has no problem playing x264 video in standard or high definition in an .mkv container.

It's definitely a bug in my opinion.

I have no problem playing either file in 5.1. (Well, apart from the subpar video quality and the essential lameness of the conception of the first one. But then, it is a commercial.)

-----------

"Hey, Tony, baby, I got this great idea for your commercial, you're gonna love this, baby!" So this is, like, the Garden of Eden, right? And there's Eve wandering through it, naked but she's wearing a figleaf and this long hair hides her boobs, right? And there are all these birds and animals, and like maybe a unicorn or just a horse, right? So then up through the bushes comes Adam, right? And he's naked with a figleaf too, right? They stare at each other, first woman, first man, right? Then Adam waves, says "Hi!" and runs off, he's like, this flaming queen, right? And then there's text on the screen that says ,"don't worry, call your insurance company". Is that dynamite? Is that killer? I'm tellin ya, that's IT, baby!"

-----------

Both files are encoded with AVC/AAC, sometimes called .h264 or .x264

These filters put a large computational burden on a system, much more so than other kinds of encoding. They require a really powerful processor to handle because they produce smaller file sizes by doing extensive calculations to achieve better compression.

Your symptoms are classically those of an underpowered system trying to tackle AVC. My previous system was quite old, only 1.2 GHz (only. geeze!) and that's what it did when I tried to play many AVC-encoded files. A few would play OK, but many just wouldn't. Sometimes I had to reboot to get out of them.

Wait. My system is not that old, it has 2.10 GHz. It's a dual core processor. I tried playing 1080p mp4 files before and it could totally play smoothly in 5.0. How is it possible that it can't play in 5.1? Do I need a high powered processor to play even the simpliest video?

I have to agree, the second file that I tried to play froze in the first few frames. It's not even high definition video. My computer is a core2 duo, 2.5ghz (x2) with 4gb ram running win7 ultimate.

This is definitely not a resources issue, but the fact that kluelos can play them on his system leads me to believe that 5.1 is conflicting with prior installed codecs (perhaps).

Same problem here. I found this problem since i upgrade to v5.1

MpcStar just hang when i try to play mp4 file.

screenshot: http://img862.imageshack.us/img862/4382/mpcstarerror.jpg

I can play this file properly on KMPlayer, Windows Media Player and QuickTime.

System:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

CPU 6500 2.93GHz

RAM 4 GB

Same problem here.. I rolled back to Ver. 5.0 to get rid of it.

• 9 months later...
  • 5 years later...
On 2011/5/14 at 5:40 PM, jjbladera said:

Me and my roommate upgraded the player. We totally like the new MPCStar 5.1. But then came the problem, me and my roommate, who is also using it, can not play mp4 file format.

When I play it in 5.1, the video is just stagnant, a freezing picture while playing. And sometimes, when I close it, it will not respond anymore.

When I downgraded it to 5.0 and tried to play it again, it played smoothly. I also tried to play it in VLC Player and KMP Player, and it played very smoothly again.

I hope a quick fix for these will be posted.

[uPDATE]

File used: Lady Gaga - Born This Way [2011] HD 1080p.mp4

Frame width: 1920

Frame height: 1080

Data rate: 3146 kbps

Total bitrate: 3271 kbps

Almost all my video files are in the mp4 format.

Sorry to bother you man but you seem to know a lot about MP4 playback issue right? I also have a problem of MP4 playback which I downloaded from YouTube yesterday. and i would like to as you whether you know how to solve the problem? The video i downloaded couldn't be played on VLC media Player. I downloaded this video repair program (http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/repair-mp4-file.html) as you can see, to repair mp4 file. In the article it mentions that i can fix video by converting formats. I do not know how it work, but after I added my MP4 video into the program, it asked me to choose a codec. There were 2 , H264 and MPEG4, i do not know which encoder to choose. I also find another type of file  named .MJPEG on the internet and I do not have any ideas what are the relations between them. The original video which i downloaded is MPEG4, but it does not work as i have said just now. As for H264, i also know that it is a highly compressed encoder, so i am worrying about that there might be some dramatic quality loss in the course of conversion, is that true? The video is 720P- 60fps and  i dont want to decrease the video size by changing video output quality and decreasing it to 30fps which is less smooth. How should i repair a video without changing codec?