To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Upgrading to 1.27

IO was having problems with 1.26 all of the sudden not being able to download anything. I decided to upgrade to 1.27 and every time I install the program, I get the .exe file could not be installed?!?! I am on a PC running Windows 7, is there something I am missing?

If your system cannot open an .exe file, then you definitely have a problem. I'll also add that if a program suddenly stops working, the answer is rarely a version update.

If I were you, I'd first try rebooting your system, if that doesn't work, then I'd do a system restore from a date when your computer worked properly.

It would also be a good idea to scan your drives for errors, as well as virus/malware.

If this is only a problem with installing BitComet, then you may have a corrupt installation file, in which case you simply have to redownload it and install.

That really does sound like something serious. BitComet does a fairly "light" install, no copying of .dll's deep into the bowels of the system, or extensive registry changes, so it sounds like something else is going on. Maybe it's a file-locking problem, but even that shouldn't really do this. A permission issue might, but that's not the error I would expect if that were the case.

You should also use something like Process Explorer to make sure there's no bitcomet.exe process running when you think you have uninstalled it. You probably don't but it doesn't hurt to be sure.

Hope you don't have to do a system restore or reinstall, but I have been seeing Win7 get itself into a state where that's the only answer.

Good point vasy, and with windows 7, it hides systemtray icons so you won't see them unless you look. Open your systemtray and make sure you've fully exited out of bitcomet before you try to install.

You can also open task manager and look for bitcomet.exe.

I got it to install and open....new problem is when I download something, it will start the download and find seeds and connect, then at 10 seconds it stops and states the network name is no longer available? I has done this on 3 different downloads.

Are you using a network attached storage device to save the files? or an external harddrive?

If so, try using a local disc and see if the problem is still present.

ps. Scanning your drives for errors wouldn't be a bad idea too.